• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transmission filter extension Questions

Hi guys, I would like to know if a too long filter extension can cause problem to transmission or to the pump. I custom made a deep pan 6 inch  and made a 3 inch filter extension...    What you think??         the company sells  one with around  1 to 1.5 inch of height.  

Thanks Francis

I don't think it will bother you at all if you are keeping the stock fluid level.  (the fluid in the pan still holds the level in the pipe where it was "from the factory")

If you were going to try and drop the level, you could run into NPSH problems. 

Hag

Thanks Hag, I understand but on my filter extension I put an o-ring between the VB and the extension. I made like a plate with o-ring, 3 inch of around 3/4 I.D tube, another plate and the filter.  So my filter is at the bottom of the pan.  My question is, is it too long my piece for the oil pump. Or need a 1 or 1.5 inch long like the companies sells?       

Francis

Frank,

Ahhh I understand now.  Sorry.  I have been all through manual trans, but not really familiar with the 47RE.   From an engineering stand point, The big things to look for are:

Will the pickup get full flow of non-aerated fluid? 

Will the pickup be rigid in its location....  Even though it is knee deep in a viscous fluid, vibration can take a toll. (GM cheated and used the pan to hold the filter in place....) 

Is it too close to the bottom and picks up debris or gets a funny flow path?

The fact that yours is longer, I wouldn't  worry (unless the vibration issue becomes a factor....  without getting deep into the math, the longer you make it, the force is exponential, not just linear.)  They possibly only made 1 length to fit many pans. so they only had to have one part.

If you have thought through those components, you should be golden. 

Hag

HI,  Thanks Hag..    It's a good thinking,  The only thing thats afraid me is maybe the flow cause my tubing inside diameter is little bigger than supposed to be.  For vibration,I dont think cause it's welded and bolted to valve body like stock one....     Good explication I'll try to go further with my customization extension!!!!!!

It rarely ever hurts to be bigger.  (I would love to say never....but can't)   In your case I cannot see that bigger diameter will hurt.  (as long as the o-rings still seal properly)  If your full level is still in the same place, you should be golden.

Have a good one!