• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tools rusting

joecool911

I use amsoil metal protector on tools that don't get usd a lot but a silicone spray would work fine too

About the only tools I have that tend to get a bi of rust is some of my impact sockets that don't get used a lot other than that I have not seen much rust issues luckily but I suspect you southern boys have it a bit different.

Edited by Wild and Free

• Owner

Even the chrome plated sockets will rust if given the environment to create rust. Like my set I keep in the truck they seen several rain and snow storms. Even had times where I closed the case and held it up to drain the water out. So even chrome plated sockets will rust. Now my stuff in the shop tool box I've not had any problems with them. I just wipe everything off and put it away. I'm not the typically solvent wash my tools a bit of oil film isn't going to hurt anything.

• Staff

The problem with using WD-40 or solvents is it evaporates in a few days. You might as well rub diesel fuel on them.  Try a little test by taking a peace of metal (sheet metal would work good)  put a solvent (paint thinner), WD-40, diesel fuel and a light coating of engine oil.  Set the sheet metal in the garage for a week and see what's left. I bet it'll be the engine oil.   By the way, one of my customer's worked for WD-40 here in San Diego.  He told me the main ingredient is cut kerosene.      

• Staff

I used to have a problem with rust in my old shop. It was just an exposed sheet metal roof. This still new to me place, I made a point to sheet the roof with plywood and then the metal roof. It made a nice difference and none of my shops ever get any heat.

Edited by JAG1