• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sticking clutch pedal

Hi all,

So I have a new Valair single disc clutch with all new components, and new OE hydros from Napa. I have about 1000 miles on the hydros and 550 on the clutch. Today I noticed that sometimes, as I'm slowly letting up on the clutch pedal, it feels like it is sticking or binding kind of. It is only minor and only when I let the pedal out very slowly, which I normally do, and even then its not all the time. Its like it will just kind of hang up slightly then let go and release more quickly than I want it to. I am sure the clutch and components are installed correctly as I and my dad did it together and we are both pretty competent in this area. We also had the help of a friend who is a lifelong mechanic.  I checked the FSM and didn't find too much except to grease the pedal pivot point. But in the case of binding, it says to replace the hydros. Since they are new maybe I could grease the pushrod? How would I do that? Just smear some synthetic grease on the pushrod and work it in and out? Has anyone else ever experienced this and or found a solution or have any other ideas?

Edited by leathermaneod

• Owner

Like myself I'm running NAPA hydro's and Southbend Con OFE clutch no issues. So I really doubt it all going to be hydro's. Typically a bad hydro will bleed off and start engaging when you hold the clutch for long periods. Typically you'll see fluid wetness on the firewall side or maybe weeping into the bellhousing. I heard of on case where a pin hole was in the tubing. 

Thanks for the input guys! That's very odd about your experience dripley. I'm really hoping if I remove the pedals, replace the bushings, and grease everything my problems will be gone. Otherwise I guess I'll be calling Fred at dap and valair to tell them about this. Did it last thought out the whole time you had your valair?

Sure I can do that. I'll try to take some pics too. I did try to grease that pushrod btw. As soon as I did I realized that it does not rub anywhere. So then I tried just getting some grease on the inside of the master where the piston is to see if that would help. I went for a drive to get fuel after that and it didn't help. One interesting thing I did notice though was that it seemed worse with the heat on the floor. I don't normally have the heat all on the floor but I did some tonight and it seems a little worse.

The Valair I had was very grabby from day one, but I did not get the feel that you described until later in its life, maybe 50k or 60k miles. The throw out bearing went not long after that. The binding sensation stayed with it until I replaced it. 

I am sitting here with a new slave cylinder and the instructions say to not let any petroleum based fluids come in contact with hydraulic clutch system or brake fluid. Gas, oil, transmission or power steering fluid, etc, Not sure why but maybe you ought not grease the master and slave rods.

Darn it that really sucks ;-( I'm probably ruining my new clutch hydros then. Should have asked you guys before I tried the grease. I didn't just put it on the pushrod, I put it in the back of the cylinder where the pushrod and piston are. I thought maybe it would help if it was binding somehow. It is synthetic grease bit I'm not sure if that will save it or not...do you think there is anything I can do about it or just wait for it to start leaking and then replace it? Mine has not been grabby at all...just as smooth as the old one, which was a lik btw. This slight binding just started after only about 550 miles on the clutch....

Edited by leathermaneod

Yeah I definitely didn't think it would hurt anything. I'll try the brake cleaner tomorrow. Yes it should be only on the outside...I only put it on the outside. Only way it could have got in is off the piston pulled it in or didn't clean it off the walls of the cylinder. Pushed the pedal in and stuck grease in behind the piston if that makes any sense. Do you think brake cleaner will get into the reservoir if I spray it behind the piston where the grease is?

Edited by leathermaneod

I too have heard that replacing the bushings on the pedals is fairly easy. But I remember how much fun it is to work under there with 3/4 of me hanging out of the cab. I have just started feeling a little sideways movement in the brake pedal when I depress the clutch. So I figure it is in my future.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

Do you think brake cleaner will get into the reservoir if I spray it behind the piston where the grease is?

No It shouldn't.

Years ago I work on a brake system that someone put ATF in the brake fluid reservoir.  The master leaked and the brake hoses had ballooned up.  Replaced everything but the hard brake lines. 

I ran into this very same "sticky" clutch pedal feel about 5000 miles after installing my SB clutch.  I did everything as I've always done on any clutch job, and was feeling like the problem was the hydraulics.  But.....the strange part was the clutch pedal movement was smooth when the engine was not running.  Strange.....

So after pulling the hydraulics and finding that they were fine, I reluctantly pulled the tranny back and found that the throwout bearing was hanging up on the input shaft sleeve.  Upon the clutches initial installation I lightly greased the input shaft sleeve, but I think what happened was that the clutch dust was incompatible with the grease I used and eventually turned that grease into sticky crud instead of lubricating.  Kind of the same thing as what happens with molly grease.

I cleaned the sleeve off and bought a new throwout bearing (just because I was in there).  This time I used no grease aside from what was pre-lubed in the new throwout bearing.  And after putting it all back together, the clutch pedal has never felt so smooth.....  It even feels lighter and the clutch engages better.  In point, it appears that the throwout bearings sticky movement on the shaft was causing more issues than just a jerky clutch pedal.

If you find that hydraulics arent the problem, you might be experiencing the same issue I was.

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 1