• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Notes from the wilderness!!!

MoparMom

On a side note,

We harvested our first section of garlic today.  Not as big as I would have hoped but not bad either.  Rhubarb is growing like it is going out of style.

All of our squash is doing great and cucumbers are almost growing too well.   Did a lot of weeding today and replanted the next run of lettuce and spinach.    

Carrots are getting to the point where you can pull one at random for a snack.  

On a less happy note our chickens seem to be on strike.  Egg production is down.  We have one chicken that is pretty much staying in the laying box all day....not sure why.

• Staff
8 hours ago, Me78569 said:

i'll ship them your way mike :shifty:

How much for them?

Nick you might try some different chicken feed with vitamins in it. I don't really know that much about them.

Our Zucinni and squash are developing well. Pole beans are starting to really take off and the plum tree has more fruit on it than I've ever seen.

For some reason my carrots are not doing well. Do they need very light soil?

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Me78569 said:

On a less happy note our chickens seem to be on strike.  Egg production is down.  We have one chicken that is pretty much staying in the laying box all day....not sure why.

The chicken is staying in the box for because she has either gone broody or is sick.  I would bet that she is broody.  This is when her instinct has kicked in that she needs to incubate eggs.  During this process they will not lay nor will they leave the coup.  they will stay like this until something triggers them to exit this behavior, like eggs hatching and the sound of chicks chirping.  This behavior has been bred out of most domestic chickens, but it will still happen.  I used to have a bird that did this about every 3-4 months.  It agitated the other birds because she was always taking up a nesting box.  Google how to deal with a broody hen and there are thousands of ideas.  I made it a point to lock mine out of the coop and throw her out when I found her in there and I tried to remove the eggs as soon as I could.  While she won't be laying any, others will and she will move around trying to sit on something. 

Birds that are going through a molt will not lay, but they will still be active outside.  If the laying box is occupied by a broody hen the other birds may be going somewhere else to lay there eggs.  It is funny how a broody hen can piss off the rest of the flock.

I hope this helps.

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

How much for them?

Nick you might try some different chicken feed with vitamins in it. I don't really know that much about them.

For some reason my carrots are not doing well. Do they need very light soil?

We recently changed their food, as the place we used to get it from went out of business.  They laid good on the old stuff, we will keep trying new food until they come around.

I am no carrot expert but ours are doing well.  I think they like sandy soil, from what I hear.

1 hour ago, Hawkez said:

The chicken is staying in the box for because she has either gone broody or is sick.  I would bet that she is broody.  This is when her instinct has kicked in that she needs to incubate eggs.  During this process they will not lay nor will they leave the coup.  they will stay like this until something triggers them to exit this behavior, like eggs hatching and the sound of chicks chirping.  This behavior has been bred out of most domestic chickens, but it will still happen.  I used to have a bird that did this about every 3-4 months.  It agitated the other birds because she was always taking up a nesting box.  Google how to deal with a broody hen and there are thousands of ideas.  I made it a point to lock mine out of the coop and throw her out when I found her in there and I tried to remove the eggs as soon as I could.  While she won't be laying any, others will and she will move around trying to sit on something. 

Birds that are going through a molt will not lay, but they will still be active outside.  If the laying box is occupied by a broody hen the other birds may be going somewhere else to lay there eggs.  It is funny how a broody hen can piss off the rest of the flock.

I hope this helps.

Broody sounds about right, she has turned into a she-itch .  I have bigger things to fry now.

Edited by Me78569

• 3 months later...