• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

OBDLink LX and OBDLink Android App

• Owner

Well gang...

I'm back to playing around with OBDII Data again. I'm wanting to move the ScanGauge II to the 1996 Dodge Ram and use my OBDLink LX bluetooth dongle for the 2002 Cummins. The OBDLink LX is basically plug and plug. The Android Software you can get off Google Play. Now as for setup there is a bit configuring. Make sure to fill in the easy stuff like year, make, model. Now the important stuff is the volumetric efficiency, engine displacement (liters) and select intake manifold absolute pressure. You see the 77.5% that is figured from the base line for Cummins ISB is 63% then my old ScanGauge II had a offset of 14.5% so adding together you get 77.5%.

Screenshot_2016-03-11-13-50-27.png.86187

So I took off and did a quick test run.

Screenshot_2016-03-11-14-04-01.png.1bea9

So the numbers look like they are close to right. I'm going to need to do a nice long haul and get some test data to verify number. As for my display I use. You can configure anything you want. I added warning zones and normal zones making easy to glance at it and see the needle in a lime green zone or not.

Screenshot_2016-03-11-14-04-28.png.a3c4b

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
9 hours ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

I'm glad you posted this because I have had my OBDLink for a few months and only use it to check codes from time to time.. haven't found any yet.. yay! Now I know what to put for volumertic efficiency. What is the brake specific fuel number?

The volumetric Efficiency is the number that will calibrate the GPH flow number. It calculated from the MAP sensor and a few other things. Brake Specific Fuel Consumption is not used for this but you can place that in for I think HP / TQ calculations. I'm check that this next trip. Disregard that funky Mar 11. I was still attempting to figure out the VE setting and how to get it right.

Screenshot_2016-03-12-07-12-59.png.68fa8Screenshot_2016-03-12-07-13-11.png.cfa16

7 hours ago, notlimah said:

In order to get trip info you need to have your device on and running the whole trip right? It doesn't get saved anywhere to be recalled later??

Yes. You need to fire up the display device first and get connected as you get started. I'm trying to find a simple way of get everything fired up. There are a few setting for auto connection and auto display of the dashboard. As for saving it saves the data internal and is ready. It creates daily bar graphs of MPG.

I will warn do not set the logs function up for some reason for me it crashes the App after about 8 miles. I'm not sure what data it capture yet but will find out soon as well.

As for display or dashboards as the App calls it I created a new dash last night that is rather interesting and managed stuff 8 radial gauges on the display. Now is the data present for them I don't know.

Screenshot_2016-03-12-07-03-16.png.54c02

Also take notice I went for full range of the two temp gauge. I know the full range for both is -40*F to 240*F anytime I can see real value. Now if you limi the gauge to 100-240*F as the dash is then you get the same result as the stock gauge. Also on the two temp gauges I added the lime green normal zones or optimal zones.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I borrowed a friend's smarty to try to correct speedo.. didn't work when I removed the smarty from my truck.

The Smarty did pick up 2 DTCs P0122 TPS low voltage and P1693 a companion code

My OBDLink says there are no trouble codes but does show the P1693 in the freeze frame section. 

uqZs4dGl.png

I cleared them 2-3 times with the smarty and they came back and still would not show on the OBDLink

Any guesses as to why its not showing the trouble codes?

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

Are the codes only showing when truck is off and the key is turned to the 'ON' position? I've found that the OBD reader won't show those codes, only ones that cause the CEL to stay on after start up. 

For instance, my truck will have the CEL stay on until I start the truck. If I run my hypertech tuner to set tire size it will show a few different codes 1693/0500. Once the truck starts, no CEL and no problem so I just leave it alone. 

Might be worth checking out though since you dtc is in relation to your other thread. 

On another note, what did you mean the smarty wouldn't keep the correct tire size once the smarty was removed? Removed as in physically or removed as in set back to stock in order to give it back to your buddy?

Edited by notlimah

codes can have 2 status's

active and temp

some codes require an ongoing issue to get set to active.  I would bet this is the case .  try using the app "auto doctor" that will show me both of those categories.

Edited by Me78569

I downloaded the auto doc.. no codes found on it either.. no pending.. no permanent. I didn't see anywhere to check for active or temp Nick.

Not sure why the smarty will show the codes. I clear them but when I start the truck they're back. 

1 hour ago, notlimah said:

Are the codes only showing when truck is off and the key is turned to the 'ON' position? I've found that the OBD reader won't show those codes, only ones that cause the CEL to stay on after start up. 

For instance, my truck will have the CEL stay on until I start the truck. If I run my hypertech tuner to set tire size it will show a few different codes 1693/0500. Once the truck starts, no CEL and no problem so I just leave it alone. 

Might be worth checking out though since you dtc is in relation to your other thread. 

On another note, what did you mean the smarty wouldn't keep the correct tire size once the smarty was removed? Removed as in physically or removed as in set back to stock in order to give it back to your buddy?

When I set the ECM back to stock.. I was hoping the tire size change would stay.

Hope this is not considered hijacking a thread? If so.. Sorry Mike..

My scan gauge will show whatever codes that are in there whether the cel is lit or not. When my TPS was surging it did not set the CEL but the 122 code was present engine running or not. My CEL stays on from key on to engine start, thought they all did. I dont know what the difference between the two are but if I ever get near a smarty I might stick on there and see what happens.