• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wood Burners

dorkweed

How much have you burned this year???

Normally by this time of year, I'm well into the 3rd full cord of wood.  Normally burn about 3 full cord per burning season.  As of now;  I'm probably at 1.75 full cords burned so far.  Twas mild in October and November until the blizzard just before Thanksgiving..................then it got mild....................Most of January was cold......................Febuary and had mild and cold........................March has been fairly mild.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to post a picture of the burn piles the local pulpmill here burns on a regular basis after they log a cut block... The ammount of wood wasted is staggaring!!! 

Not sure how to post pics yet with my phone...

One burnpile could heat your home for 3 or 4 years.... Year round!!! Lol

What are the thoughts on health subject. My wife says our kids are seek and coughing mostly because of our wood stove, and it can cause long term health affects, so now I'm not allowed to use it and it gets chilly in part of house just using furnace. But at day care most of kids are coughing, I wonder if they all have wood stoves. All jokeing aside but can a wood stove really heart you in a long run? Especially kids. 

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

• Owner

Something is wrong. There should be no no health problems burning wood. You must have a cracked stove case or venting smoke into the house. I've have had stoves in the pass that cracked the case near the chimney. If your chimney is plugging up then smoke will back up into the house. I don't use damper for this reason either.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

What are the thoughts on health subject. My wife says our kids are seek and coughing mostly because of our wood stove, and it can cause long term health affects, so now I'm not allowed to use it and it gets chilly in part of house just using furnace. But at day care most of kids are coughing, I wonder if they all have wood stoves. All jokeing aside but can a wood stove really heart you in a long run? Especially kids. 

You have to understand that 75% ofvthe stuff u ( or your wife) reads on the internet is false. The gov doesn't want you burning wood they want you spending money on oil to heat your home.

Woodstove heat is the healthiest around.... The soothing sun like radiant heat, the excersice it takes to get the fire wood liad the stove etc etc. 

If the kids are caughing and it's from your stove then like moparman said you have a leak somewhere... House shouldn't smell like smoke and if you burn it hot and use dry wood there really won't be any smoke at all... Cleaned your chimney lately???

• Like 1

• Staff

I couldn't live in a home without wood heat.

It is unbelievable how many homes have the leakiest furnace ducts with insulation fiberglass dust being blown into every room everywhere. I've seen the insides of furnaces that would make you sick just looking at them.

Besides wood heat soaks to the bone.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 3

No our wood stove doesn't smoke in the house only if I forget to open slowly or not open bottom dampener, top one stays open all the time. I clean it regularly, and wood is pretty dri. I think that little bit of smell when I load wood in is enough to have her thinking that it's bad for you. Women are great to argue with and not win most of the time. 

• Owner

Ok.

Another one that happen this winter. I do my nightly stoking of the fire and cut it back really low. I got up in the middle of the night to the smell of smoke in the house. Run down stairs to the stove the smell isn't there. Come back up stairs you can smell the smoke. :think: What was happening we had a wind event in the canyon that was rolled the smoke down on the north side of the building and blowing in around the little bit of a gap under the door. So at 2-3am its a bit spooky to go back to bed smelling smoke in the house.

It might not be a chimney issue but could be wind driven back into the building through cracks or gaps.

• Staff

Since the use of fire in a cave man has been using wood for heat and to cook.  In that time humans have learned how to safely vent the byproduct gases and particulates.  If you did have a leak in the stove or vent pipe in the room/house then you would have a high level of CO gas.

I always have a kettle of water evaporating on my stove. It takes the dryness out of the air. When the stoves burning hot sometimes fill it up a couple times a day.

My wife's just the opposite, she lets me know right of way when the  wood supply's getting low.

• Like 1

ever sense i switched to a high efficiency wood stove i've cut my usage in half. The fresh air kit was the biggest improvement. 3 years ago we went through 5 cords, last year with the new stove and not the fresh air kit we used 4 1/4 cords, this year i'm down 2.5. we do have snow on the way tonight and this weekend though. This year total i think I'll be around 3 for the year.

When we had the ranch in Cortez there was a place my grandpa used to go get aspen chips, from a log home manufacturer or maybe it was the match making plant on your way to Durango, they would take a front end loader and fill his flatbed trailer for $5-10. i thought it was in Delores but i may be wrong on that.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As for me I'm still burning wood. Night time temps still fall to near 35*F at night even though daytime highs are in the mid 70's like today.

Sounds like my part of the country, We usualy burn until after Memorial Day. It's not uncommon for a snow storm the first week of June.

i like these spring time snow storms it can snow 6 inches or more overnight and be all melted by the end of the day?

• Like 1

On April 7, 2016 at 7:21 AM, Dieselfuture said:

On April 7, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Dieselfuture said:

No our wood stove doesn't smoke in the house only if I forget to open slowly or not open bottom dampener, top one stays open all the time. I clean it regularly, and wood is pretty dri. I think that little bit of smell when I load wood in is enough to have her thinking that it's bad for you. Women are great to argue with and not win most of the time. 

Sounds like you need to break into your wifes "lock box" and retrieve your testicles!!!!:2cents::wtf: They're your kids also!!!:smart:

That said, it's been really, really cold here in northern Illinois this first week of April.  Had snow squalls most everyday this week with crazy strong winds!!!  Stove is still going!!

Edited by dorkweed
  • Like 1

• Owner

I lit a fire last night as I watched the temps fall down to 41*F knowing MoparMom like to stay warm. Got this morning to her complaining to me that I got it too hot for her last night. :doh:

I've got 1.5 cords left burning season is coming to close really soon. I started with 9 cords.

• Like 1