• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

TFaoro

How much can they hold??

@Dynamic, out of curiosity (and for a future build) how much power can the 48RE hold, assuming there isn't a budget restraint. In other words, what would be the highest you would rate your strongest transmission? Thanks!

Educated guess here. From what I understand of the numbers used. 48RE is a 4 speed transmission with ability to hold 800 foot pounds of torque. Now to what Dynamic can build that's for him to tell the tale...

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Educated guess here. From what I understand of the numbers used. 48RE is a 4 speed transmission with ability to hold 800 foot pounds of torque. Now to what Dynamic can build that's for him to tell the tale...

I'm talking more of the 1,200 / 2000 and above range :)  I'm interested to see what he has to say!

In my market here in NE Washington, I've done maybe a dozen "no holds barred" transmission builds. It's just not what guys around here are doing with their trucks, for the most part. Most of my customers are like us; some with some pretty heavy mods, some more stock, but almost all of them tow heavy stuff. But, of all of these all-out builds that I've done over the years, I have had zero failures thus far (thankfully) A few of these live well north of 1000 hp in some pretty mean applications, too (sled pulling, drag racing, etc.). As far as the actual failure point, horsepower-wise, of an all-out 48RE, I'm not exactly sure, but it's a pretty big number...!

The most common builds I do, on a day-to-day basis are the Stage 2 and Stage 3 builds, all with billet triple disc converters. FWIW, the Stage 2 build is good for about 450 hp, and the Stage 3 to about 550-600 hp (or thereabouts).

• Like 1

@Dynamic

What are your thoughts on flex plates?  I'm still running stock and I'm worried that I'm going to break it.   

I would be interested in ordering one from you as well when I get to a good point to pull the trans.  The rest is fine, but could use the swap.  

On 4/25/2016 at 0:47 PM, notlimah said:

Jon, how hard would it be to install a stage 2 and then at a later time install what's needed to upgrade to a stage 3?

The differences between the Stage 2 and Stage 3 are throughout the transmission, for the most part. You would have to disassemble most of the transmission to upgrade from one to the other. It would be most cost-effective best to just do it once...

On 4/26/2016 at 6:51 PM, CSM said:

@Dynamic

What are your thoughts on flex plates?  I'm still running stock and I'm worried that I'm going to break it.   

I would be interested in ordering one from you as well when I get to a good point to pull the trans.  The rest is fine, but could use the swap.  

Billet flex plates are kind of a must-have if you've raised your power level much at all. The stock piece is pretty weak, and the damage that a broken flex plate causes is pretty far reaching, and can be quite expensive to fix. I use Goerend's flex plate exclusively anymore. It is an excellent quality piece, and at $350, is at a great price point. I bundle a Goerend flex plate in with every Stage 3 and higher combo package.

• Like 4

On March 22, 2016 at 1:52 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

IIRC that numbering system doesn't have anything to do with torque, but more the series of build. 

The 48RE is not fond of 800 lb/ft in stock form. 

Jon, do only take jobs in which the transmission is already taken out of the truck so it keeps you on the tech side of the work.?:thanks:

On 4/25/2016 at 0:47 PM, notlimah said:
9 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Jon, do only take jobs in which the transmission is already taken out of the truck so it keeps you on the tech side of the work.?:thanks:

No, all things being equal, I actually prefer to do the R&R as well. I pretty much hate pulling and reinstalling transmissions (after 28 years of doing it...), but this allows me to properly flush the cooler, set up the TV cable, and run a series of pressure tests to make sure the transmission is working as it's supposed to. There are rarely issues that arise, but I'm pretty "anal" about things and like them to be just so...

On 4/26/2016 at 6:51 PM, CSM said:

I'm not sure why that showed up with quotes from notlimah and CSM...

1 minute ago, Dynamic said:

I'm pretty "anal" about things and like them to be just so...

No kidding... After watching him run around with his rag and brake clean. "I hate leaving fingerprints every where" SPRAY, wipe wipe... Wipe...

• Like 2

That is a cool thing Jon. Keep doing good work like that. I cannot take folks that short cut a job and don't do it proper.

I enjoy doing a job better than the rest, makes it a quality enjoyable worthwhile time you spend that you get paid for.

Edited by JAG1

Really to get 1K of tourque isn't much. I'm at 428.1 HP and 1K tourque but that was before bigger turbo and a better cam