• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel Site. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Cummins owners. We try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use.

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members
    • Member Garage where you can display your vehicles and modifications.
    • Download Files, documents, and tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
notlimah

New phone

Well I'm getting close to the time of needing a phone upgrade. I'm no longer feeling stuck or obligated to staying with an iphone so I'm open to the android market. I've read a ton of good things about the Samsung Galaxy S7, how do you guys think that compares to the current iphone line up?

I understand there may be some pure hatred for apple products so try and give me the technical facts!

What carrier do you have?  

Have you looked at Google FI?

https://fi.google.com/

It combines Sprint and T-mobile and WiFi all using VOIP at a VERY nice cost of $30 a month.  IE never have a dropped call if you are at home,.

The service requires a nexus phone, but the Nexus 6 my wife has is AWESOME.

As for Iphone vs andriod.  The iphone is nothing to get excited about hardware wise.  Any flagship andriod phone will do everything + more than the iphone will.  

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

I have AT&T

Yea I looked into the Google Fi thing but I wasn't 100% sure about the Nexus phones. It would be nice to get these phone bills down though! The wife and I both have the unlimited data/text/voice plans that they don't even offer anymore but we pay close to 200 a month for both, but were still on separate plans.

If Google fi had more options phone wise I think I'd take the plunge, but I'll look more into it.

Have you ever made the swap from apple to android?

No I have always hated Iphone and I devices.  To much money for the latest and greatest tech.........................from last year....

Honestly the Nexus phones are awesome. Don't let them scare you.  The nexus 6, not 6p, is AWESOME my wife has it, my dad has one, I have one.  The nexus 5 is more average consumer based and has some issues, but nothing other phones dont have.  

I havent used the 6p yet, but I would expect good things from it.  

I went from a samsung s5 phone and was happy with it, but the nexus blows it out of the water in everyway.

Google spec's the phones and has people bid to build them so you get what Google says you should have.   

The service is much  much much better than AT&T at 1/3 the cost.  

Edited by Me78569

Do you know how the Samsung S7 and Nexus 6p would stack up against each other?

The lower monthly cost is what's really appealing, but I also don't want to end up swapping plans and then regretting not having the unlimited data and all. More research is needed! :smart:

things to consider before you switch

When do you use your phone that requires data?  At home? On the road?

How much data do you use when not at home or on WIFI?  

My thoughts on the above.  

Old AT&T bill ~$100 for 4 gb and terrible service ( I had to get a microcell for my house just to call out and I live in the city)

I use less than 500 mb per month in data when not at the house.  data cost is $10 per gb for FI. so I was to use 4gb I would still only have to pay google $20 for cell and $40 for data = $60. So in the rare situation where I do watch netflix or hulu when not on wifi the cost for that beats the snot out of AT&T.  You would have to use 6-8gb of data per month to make the service cost more.  I simply cannot see that happening. 

So my bill for FI is $25 per month typically, because google gives me $5 back on the next bill for only using 500 mb vs the 1 gb.

As for the 6p vs s7.  The 6p 

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S7,Google-Nexus-6P/phones/9817,9587

The big thing between the 2 is the s7 is ip68 rated ( waterproof)   My last s5 was the active version, which is also ip68 rated, but honestly I don't miss that.  I am old enough and responsible enough to not need it anymore. haha.  A good case on the nexus is enough for me.  I don't need to take selfies underwater :shifty: 

Performance wise they are similar, but have way more processing power than any cell phone needs..  Quad core and 3 gb for the 6p and 4 gb for s7.

Big thing for the nexus is it is not locked to a carrier or type of carrier, you can take the phone and use it on ANY carrier since it has the hardware for both.  

The S7 is locked to one carrier / antenna type. 

Honestly to notice a difference between the two you would have to be a phone "power user" which I have never seen ANYONE be a true power user.   Call, text, surf the web, not much else going on typically.  

also if you are not a tech junkie I would recommend going with a Refurbished Nexus 6 for the price.  You can get one for $250 with a warranty.  

The nexus 6 is slightly slower and older, BUT it has wireless charging and it stacks up pretty nice against the new stuff still.  Worth considering.

Nexus 6 vs 6p

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-6p-versus-nexus-6

Edited by Me78569

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

The big thing between the 2 is the s7 is ip68 rated ( waterproof)   My last s5 was the active version, which is also ip68 rated, but honestly I don't miss that.  I am old enough and responsible enough to not need it anymore. haha.  A good case on the nexus is enough for me.  I don't need to take selfies underwater :shifty: 

Are you sure?!? :lmao2:

The reason the waterproofing is a bigger pro for me is because I have a kid, so who knows where that could end up, and I typically don't like cases on my phones.

I'll have to check and see about the wife, but I know that my last months data usage was just under 5gigs. I typically will use wifi when at home, since that's where the majority of my data usage will come from. If the wife is the same or less it seems like google fi might be a good idea, that is if I can convince her to leave her iphone.

Do you know if you can transfer purchased music from iTunes to an android phone?

Don't think I am pushing you one way or another, just looking at it from another side.  Make the choice that is best for you.

My wife has dropped her nexus 6 in the tub and it faired fine.  I now make her put it in a ziplock because it is best to not poke a dragon.   However that said I understand wanting the ip68 rating regardless.  the question is, how much is the ip68 worth a month?  How often will the kid ruin a phone vs how long will it take to recoup the cost of the phone due to the lower monthly bill?

5gb of data?  Holy Wow.  haha I work in IT and teither my phone and never use more than 1gb haha.

Last time I had to switch someone over I synced their phone with the PC, then moved the itunes library into another directory, then resycned with the new phone.  I don't know if that still works as I don't keep up on "I" stuff.  Drives me nuts when they make it propitiatory. google does it too, but not as bad.  

Edited by Me78569

I didn't get the impression you were pushing one way or another, just trying to figure out what would work best for me.

I have noticed that I can plug my iphone into my pc and pull photos directly off of it as if were a thumb drive so maybe the same would apply to my songs.

Yea I went and looked back through previous bills and looks like I bounce between 2.5-5 gigs a month. I guess I'm on the web more then I realized on my phone haha. I need to practice being on Wi-Fi constantly for a month just to see how it'd change.

Yep,

browsing the web doesn't typically take up a lot of bandwidth, but things like youtube and facebook can really eat up data.   Even browsing the forum here doesn't eat up much bandwidth honestly.  Since the 1st I used ~80mb on all my webbrowsing.  I have been off wifi and checking the site from time to time.  

If you take note of that and get your Non-Wifi usage down you can get your cell bill down to under $30 a month without much trouble.  I am sure the coverage from FI isn't the end all be all, but it doesn't cost an arm and a leg either.  I can deal with having spotty coverage from time to time if it is cheap.  

My issue with AT&T is it was crazy pricey and the coverage was terrible.    Getting your monthly expenses down is like getting a pay raise haha.  It's a Win Win.  Plus we all know google is going to rule the earth someday so why not start paying the tax now?   :shifty: only half way kidding.

I got a friend that had a iPhone for about one month. Lives right in Walla Walla, WA. and the iPhone was very prone to dropping call if you move wrong or went inside a building. He got a new Android phone and the problem is gone. Matter of fact I asked him for his older phone so I can see about swapping my old flip phone for a new Android. There is time I like to get to the internet on the road. My tablet work when I can find WiFi but my old LG flip phone no longer works right for the internet.

If anyone should be going to FI it's you mike.

it works on WIFI so you can have coverage at your home and pay almost nothing per month.

Currently about $29.95 every 3 month running on TracFone. My problem is fining particular phones that do work out here. Cell service is weird around here. I can't buy any phone it got be a particular type for this system out here.

I was never a big apple fan, but about 3 years ago we got iPads at work and it kinda grew on me. Now I have an iPhone and an iPad the integration between them is amazing. Text messages, emails, browser history, reminders, notes, etc. 

I do also have quite a bit of experiance with android devices and now detest them. I still have to do things on my dads phone from time to time and frustrating doesn't even come close to describing it. The last phone my wife had before her iPhone was an android, and an android before that. We were always having issues with them. They would lock up, slow down, freak out, etc...and that doesn't even get into the interface issues. 

In the end it all comes down to what you prefer, but if you're switching from android to iPhone I would spend some time with one before buying it to ensure you will actually like it. As much as I dislike Apple I don't think I could ever willing go back to android or blackberry. 

As far as service if you go off the beaten path I would switch to Verizon. I love having fill service when AT&T folks have nada! 

Between my wife, my phone, and my iPad we use about 2.5-3 gb a month. 

We did have to swap out one of the wife's Samsungs a few years back because the connectivity was crappy. I think it just had a bad antenna.  We go some pretty remote places and my iPad/iPhone have just as good of service as any other phones we have had. 

Edited by AH64ID

That's the one thing I'm really worried about is the interface swap. I got an android tablet for the OBDmx and while it's not terrible, I'm so ingrained in how the Apple iOS works it's hard to switch to something else. 

Android does have a lot of appealing feature though and it seems it's always the first to get on a new trend and apple follows alongs months after. 

Im pretty sure the wife is going to stick with an iPhone just because of what you stated. The inner connectivity is amazing and really hard to beat, especially when it's already setup.

There is no arguing that verizon is the best service, but I just can't stomach the price of it.  I would rather have my phone not work a small % of the time than pay the large monthly bill.

That's why I recommend Fi to people.  Most of the time, most people, use their cell phones when they are on WIFI.  that is not always the case and something to consider without a doubt.

As for the apple vs andriod argument, I am pretty sure that is what started the hate between the Jews and Palestines.   but I will say that Google backup makes it so you can have text messages, pictures, contacts, etc etc etc loaded to any device that you have your google account linked to.  chrome does the same thing, tabs, browsing history, passwords, etc etc etc is seamless between my laptop and my phone. 

6 in one hand and half dozen in the other.  Regardless I am just happy to be off of AT&T service.