• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.

Mopar1973Man

OBDLink App and setting up gauges

SETTING RANGE OF GAUGE DATA

Hold your finger on the gauge you want to adjust. When the menu pops up select "Display Configuration". At the top of the box you can place a title on the gauge if you wish. Make sure to keep it short. Then the MIN and MAX ranges you can select a range you wish. Now you don't have to select the full range of sensor operation. Like I'm showing my IAT gauge setup. I could select the full range of the sensor which is -40 to 240*F. But the resolution of the gauge is well rather wide and hard to read so you can narrow it down giving better resolution. You can get even tighter by adding the decimal and how many digits to the right. Or break it down by multipler (x1 or x1000)  for like tachometer if you wish.

Not to miss this... There is a "item" drop drop. This is the listing of all the active sensors the OBDLink can see during your run cycle. Make sure to do this work with the ignition ON and the OBDLink "connected". Then you'll get the right sensors other than guessing.

Screenshot_2016-04-11-18-46-37.png

SETTING COLOR BANDS

Hold your finger on a gauge you want to set. When the menu pops up select "Style". At the top of the screen you want to change "Frame" to "Range". At this point you can Click the "Add Range" at the bottom of the screen. So for example you want to set the coolant temperature danger range. Set the minimum to 220, set the maximum to 240 this will set the span between these two values. Then set your color to red. You can repeat this as many times as you wish. Like I've done cold range in blue from 140 to 160, normal range in green from 190-200, danger range in 220-240 in red.

Screenshot_2016-04-11-18-39-56.png

CALIBRATION OF TRIP COMPUTER AND THE HP/TQ GAUGES

Go back to the "Main Menu". Select "Setting". Select "Vehicle Editor". Select your vehicle for the list. If not present hook up to the OBDLink and allow it to find your vehicle. Fill in all the data like year, make, model, etc. Make sure to Select fuel type is "Diesel". Engine size is either "5.9" or 6.7" for our Cummins. Volumetric Efficiency for a stock Cummins is 63%. Brake Specific Fuel Consumption is 0.393 for the 5.9L ISB 24V.

Now as for MPG calibration. What you'll do is set it for now to 63% and go fill up and "Reset" your Trip Logs. Go for long drive and fill up when you get home at the end of the day. Make sure to write down the fuel gallons and such that you pumped. What you want to do is divide the two number to get a percent offset. Now ADD the percent offset to 63 to get your new setting. So in my case I knew my offset was 14.5% so I added 63% and 14.5% giving me 77.5% offset.

NOTE: Currently there is no way to calibrate the speedometer or odometer on the trip logs. So speed and distance data is raw. I'm working with the techs to hopefully get this function added to the Vehicle Editor so folks with oversized tires can still get fairly accurate distance and speed readings. At this time the only thing you can do is use a Smarty to calibrate the speedometer / odometer to get the data right.

As for the Brake Specific Fuel Consumption I found the Cummins test data sheet that shows the BSFC data.

Screenshot_2016-04-11-18-55-44.png

Cummins_5.9L_ISB-235_BSFC.gif

Edited by Mopar1973Man

This is awesome! Thanks!

Couple questions though, when setting the MPGs, do you need to fill up from empty both times? Just the second fill up? And then you'd divide the two gallon amounts added to the truck to get the offset? Would I even need an offset with a stock truck?

Also, could you post a pic of all the gauges your running on the app?

48 minutes ago, notlimah said:

when setting the MPGs, do you need to fill up from empty both times?

No. Best fill at the start of he day and fill again at the end before quiting then you have good numbers.

And then you'd divide the two gallon amounts added to the truck to get the offset?

Yeah. That gives the percent of offset. Usually a decimal under 1.

Would I even need an offset with a stock truck?

For accuracy most likely yes. You can try the 63% and see what happens.

49 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Also, could you post a pic of all the gauges your running on the app?

As I am right now...

30vhxqo.jpg