• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Killer223

on the hunt for my next OS.

being that Mint 13 will be end of life next year. i'm looking now for a replacement. i tried the newer version 17.?? something. but the suspend feature would never work correctly on this computer.

i just downloaded the new Ubuntu 16.04 and well it boots to a black screen. lol like really people? and you wonder why Linux isn't wide spread. so i did the good ol nomodeset command and then i get to the desktop. try the suspend, computer go to sleep but won't wake up. bummer.

So what that being said anyone have any suggestions on a new OS for my PC.

-Computer-
Processor        : 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory        : 8161MB (935MB used)
Operating System        : Linux Mint 13 Maya
User Name        : hr (HR)
Date/Time        : Wed 27 Apr 2016 06:45:03 PM MST
-Display-
Resolution        : 1680x1050 pixels
OpenGL Renderer        : GeForce GTX 460 v2/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor        : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter        : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
Audio Adapter        : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Power Button
 Microsoft  Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0
 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600
 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600
 Logitech Logitech Dual Action
 HDA Intel PCH Line
 HDA Intel PCH Front Mic
 HDA Intel PCH Rear Mic
 HDA Intel PCH Front Headphone
 HDA Intel PCH Line-Out
 HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm        : 9=
 HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm        : 8=
 HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm        : 7=
 HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm        : 3=
-Printers-
No printers found
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD30EZRX-00S
ATA Corsair Force GT
Seagate Backup+  Desk
ATA ST3320620AS
Seagate FreeAgent
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24LS50

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is too new yet. There is known kernel bug and video issues for me yet. I'm hanging back on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for now till the Programming Team catches up with the bug list. There is several big changes for me including dropping the old AMD video drivers for a change in new kernel drivers. I tend to wait for software to at least turn one sub-version before jumping. I jumped on 14.04 way too early and it had issues.

Just did a fresh load of server 2012 on my media server.  Server used to be my workstation so I had a ton of junk on it.    I might try and migrate that over to linux.....but I dunno.  It is working so well at this point hard to fix something that isn't broke.

i'd have to agree, server 12 is a nice OS.

if it's just a media server, Linux would be a great option, but you already have the Os so no need to have to buy it. that's where Linux is great. it's free. my "home server" was windows home server, great options added to server 03. but i have sense went to ubuntu server. it servers several tera's of movies and music to the home network as well as all our user acounts, like home DIR or the Users folder. and it'a the backup storage as well.

the pc used to be my hackintosh, loved that computer. nothing crazy just a core 2 duo, with 4 gb ram. and 10TB drive space.

i've sense reinstalled Mint 17.3 so far it's working as desired. jus slow from not being on my SSD drive.

next month i'm going to try and build a 4xSSD in raid for some crazy speed. :thumb1:

I am spoiled, 

Everything we have is either in a SAN ( stupid fast) or on SSD, or 15K SCSI in a raid 5 or similar.  

I am loading server 2016 tech preview for some testing now.  I cannot express how much I like hyper-v.  Want a new server? just spin one up.....

As for linux I wish I didn't have to have 5 different ways to do something.  I live my life in windows world, it's what pays the bills, so having to take my personal time to learn to control another way of doing the same thing is hard...

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

As for linux I wish I didn't have to have 5 different ways to do something.  I live my life in windows world, it's what pays the bills, so having to take my personal time to learn to control another way of doing the same thing is hard...

Then the flip side of things. I live my life in Linux world (Apache servers, MySQL, PHP and other Linux softwares). So I'm more than willing to help you learn the other side if need be. I know exactly what you mean about living in one world and constantly converting back. Like we discussed in the past since your Windows guy its just easier to stay on that side than finding conversion for everything Linux to go back to that world. Like myself finding all the means to constantly convert back to Linux world from a Windows world is just a pain in the rear... So very understandable... :)

there is no cut in dry, if I learn Linux fully and use it I still have to learn and keep up with windows.....really just doubles my computer work load....... ugh

You stay on your side of the fence and I will stay on mine, then we will fight about who is wrong.  

Back to the question at hand.  Fedora 23 was running really good for me.

I dunno if you guys wanted to look at server 2016 tech preview, but I have it up and running.  PM me and I will send you RDP info on it if you care to look.  

Pretty sleek looking.

alright, how the f do I install a remote desktop program on a kubuntu host?  Just install tightvnc or similar?   

Edited by Me78569

I typically use "x11vnc" and "krdc" sneak right on in. Works good on clients machine and doing repairs with them watching. Low bandwidth usage. 

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/precise/krdc/

Edited by Mopar1973Man

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

One of these days when I have deep pockets I'll put my "root folder" on a SSD drive.

you don't want the root / to be on an SSD, just your /home that is where you get most of the speed.

i tried it both ways. and with / on an SSD and /home on a sata6 10K rpm drive and it was OK. then i switch put the / on a sata6gbs and /home on the SSD, What a major difference.

then i put / on a raid10 four sata6gbs 10Krpm drives and /home on a SSD and it was really nice. i love that setup. my Mint 13 is set that way right now. with the 17.3 i'm testing again on a sata3gbs drive. mint 13 will boot in under 15 seconds.

If you do get an SSD install the entire os there /home included and be amazed at what you've been missing.

i tried ubuntu Gnome yesterday for a few hours. it's... ok but i really like Cinnamon.

Edited by Killer223

2 TB SSD hard drives isn't cheap. I'm running two 2TB drives now.

*-disk
             description: ATA Disk
             product: ST2000DM001-1ER1
             vendor: Seagate
             physical id: 0.0.0
             bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
             logical name: /dev/sda
             version: CC25
             serial: W4Z12WBG
             size: 1863GiB (2TB)
             capabilities: gpt-1.00 partitioned partitioned:gpt
             configuration: ansiversion=5 guid=32b07c2a-c158-41d9-9ceb-13e27476bca0 sectorsize=4096

4 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

haha why on earth do you need a 2TB SSD?  

Get a 128gb.  You can get them for $50-$100 I think.

When I get busy doing web work ands such I can consume a large amount of hard drive space in multiple backups. Like M73M.com is 6 GB a whack and piles up fast. So that way as I step through stuff I can back up one step if I screw up. Being I'm managing 3 web site right now it disappears quick. Like right now I'm doing another backup of M73M.com because I'm prep'ing for MySQL server upgrade. (5.5 to 5.6)

4 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

what's the command to get that?

sudo lshw

LiSt HardWare Easy to remember...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Well yea, but you don't see SSD's for storage.  

If you want storage buy an old PE 2900  or pe 2800 with large SCSI's in a raid array.  

I bought my PE2900 for $250 with ram and CPU's.  You would be surprised how cheap older server parts are.  

29 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

If you do get an SSD install the entire os there /home included and be amazed at what you've been missing.

That was my response to his comment. If I was to do just my "root folder" that would be cheap because its only 25 GB. But if I was to include my "home folder" things get stupid really fast.

For the mechanical set that would be a good score.

As for dream machine yeah I would still do a Ubuntu box but having about 20 GB SSD as a root, and then a nice RAID stack for storage talk about getting the best of both worlds. Boot speed would be fast and storage read/write would be awesome.

agree. my network server/storage/ what have you is awesome kinda like cloud storage. yes my local computer has about 10 TB of storage. but the server has 10 as well. in a raid 10 setup. and with how fast local networks are these days it's nice. when i 'm editing mechanical desktop files they can get big FAST!. and having a way to back them up  is great. it's running kinda as a NAS.  i've mapped the drives so Linux and windows both see and boot up with them.

those are great ol servers. but no drives.