• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Mopar1973Man

Garage - 2002 Dodge Ram 2500

Whew! Just got done upgrading my Garage listing on my truck I've got to include photos. I'll do the photos tomorrow in the daylight and get the garage list finalized in the update. I've got my PIAA LED driving lights listed. My Morimoto HID headlights, Etc.

Dude. I'm starting to jones without the Diesel Cummins. I need a diesel fix soon... Driving V8 5.9L power is getting it. I need the diesel power and the whistle of a turbo. All I can do is open the garage door and look and see my Beast in the shop and no way to steer it. Man this sucks...

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Dude. I'm starting to jones without the Diesel Cummins. I need a diesel fix soon... Driving V8 5.9L power is getting it. I need the diesel power and the whistle of a turbo. All I can do is open the garage door and look and see my Beast in the shop and no way to steer it. Man this sucks...

I know the feeling. Mine has been sitting for week and a half now. Awaiting alternator and new battery cables. Sucks going from turbo to non turbo. 

I'm just waiting on the Blue Top Steering box. I was planning on rebuilding my own box but the input cap and the threads were questionable and it would make for a crappy bearing preload if I was beating the cap back on with a punch and hammer. I sent mine as a core and returned the seal kit to Blue Top. Now waiting for my new quick ratio steering box. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm just waiting on the Blue Top Steering box. I was planning on rebuilding my own box but the input cap and the threads were questionable and it would make for a crappy bearing preload if I was beating the cap back on with a punch and hammer. I sent mine as a core and returned the seal kit to Blue Top. Now waiting for my new quick ratio steering box. 

Which one did you order. It is kind of confusing on their website. It says to order your current ratio and your core needs to be the same ratio, so how do you get the quick ratio :think:

Just now, Red Rambler said:

so how do you get the quick ratio

Ryan was trying to be nice to me about the whole seal thing. He was willing to upgrade me for the quick ratio being I'm running small tires on my truck. Kind of a bonus for me. You might ask him about the upgrade I know he'll be open in the morning.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Got the Blue Top Steering Gear installed and not a huge difference feels about the same since my old box was tight still just that it was leaking after 338k miles. Near center, I do feel a bit more tightness in the steering like the power valve is a bit snug yet need to break in. As for the quick ratio, I'm not feeling too much difference it does react a bit faster to wheel movement. I will have to mention anyone that is thinking of quick ratio boxes you must be a small tire to get one. Oversize tires will shorten the life of the steering box. I've only ran 2 miles up the road and back to purge the rest of the air out of the steering gearbox. 

20180416_094208.jpg.78a7a3b8b6a7337dcace

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Blue Top steering gear is working out awesome. I love the quick steering in the city. 

Now I've got to fix my next problem of passenger side parking brake cable has failed again. Not that it broke but the outer jack fails and the salt water get in and jams the cable up so its dragging my parking brake. I've got another replacement cable and free the existing cable till I can get time to fix this issue.

I'mm also back on the hypermiling again being fuel prices are going back up again. I've got to get the Cummins as efficient as possible. I'm looking to having my stock injectors rebuilt with fresh nozzles I'm thinking of 7 x 0.009 nozzles set at 315 bar or so. I could also just build a second set of 7 x 0.0085 injectors at the 315 bar. Either way I need a clean spray. I know with 60k miles on my current injectors and set at 305 bar they are sagging down in pop pressure for sure. I'm going to be posting my hand math from tank to tank. 

Dang it... I got lucky. Power Steering hose starting leaking enough to spray oil out on the fender. Noticed it when I pulled in the shop tonight to put the truck away. The Driver side fender was covered in oil residue and dust.Open the hood and the inside of the hood is coated in power steering fluid. Then the pump still had fluid in it but not enough to get a reading on the dipstick. 

That sucks but the timing could not have been any better.

Posted (edited)

342k miles (5/18/18)

• Change engine oil and filter (Delo 15w-40 CK-4 oil)
  • NAPA oil filter
  • NAPA 7um fuel filter in the stock filter can.

Edit in... One tail light on the driver side. MoparMom spotted the tail light was not lighting up. I went to town to get a new bulb and had the guys verify the bulb was out. No bulb issues. All working. We pulled the left hand bulb, sure enough, it blacken the glass some and the filament was lose and making and breaking contact.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Oh, I almost forgot. During my oil change, I was checking fluid levels and check my (NV4500) transmission fluid level I've only got 20k miles left to go for 100k miles on the transmission since it was rebuilt. The fluid is still very full above the sensor level and the fluid color finally starting to darken to about brownish color. By the time winter rolls around, I'll be due to change for the first time in 100k miles. This is also to report Mobile 50 SAE transmission fluid GL-4 is working fine, no shift issues, no syncro problems, etc. 

346,xxx miles - 06/24/18

Rear differential fluid change

Transfer case fluid change

Transmission fluid change

All the fluids had a bit of darker tint to them when sampled. I figure screw it. The weather is nice the shop is warm and it's a good day to just get these fluids changed. Be my luck with all the travel and weird weather I would get stuck with some foul weather or not enough time to get it done. With the heat of summer kicking in I feel a bit safer with the fuilds fresh and steady of nearing their lifespan. 

348,405 miles - July, 9th 2018

• Oil Change Delo 15w-40 CK-4
  • NAPA Gold Oil Filter 1607
  • NAPA track bar installed to replace the junk lifetime AutoZone track bar.

Yeah that was a bad mistake. I needed the trackbar at the time and NAPA wanted way too much for the track bar they had on hand at the time so I went to AutoZone. The funny part is the ball end did not fail. It was the bushing end that failed. The rubber bushing was crushed on both directions so the axle was slopping back and forth and you could feel it in the steering wheel. 

15 days and you only put maybe 2k on. You gotta do better than that. I'll be back from the moon pretty soon.

Hope the napa ain't junk too. This from the man that put another Moog on his. But the first one lasted about 170k so we will see.

9 minutes ago, dripley said:

15 days and you only put maybe 2k on. You gotta do better than that. I'll be back from the moon pretty soon.

Dude... I'm constantly in the saddle. I've already got 253 miles for the Sun/Mon Weekend. Ugh. Still got to haul back down to Ontario tomorrow. Matter of fact here soon I'll get to meet @trreed in the Nampa, ID area so even more saddle time. Tuesday I know I got to roll out to Parma, ID and work on a laptop out there for another guy. More miles. I might bring the RV home on Thursday's trip so the truck will get a good work out coming home. 

12 minutes ago, dripley said:

This from the man that put another Moog on his. But the first one lasted about 170k so we will see.

I had good luck from the NAPA it was in the realm of 155k or so. That one the ball end failed. Track bar changing is super easy if you do a trick. When installing the ball end don't get overzealous on the torque of the nut. You need just enough to seat the tapper in the casting. Then lock the nut with the cotter key. So many people think OMG I need to torque the living hell out of this I don't want the bar falling off. This last change I barely tapped the nut about 2 small swings with a hammer and the ball dropped out of the taper. 

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Dude... I'm constantly in the saddle. I've already got 253 miles for the Sun/Mon Weekend. Ugh. Still got to haul back down to Ontario tomorrow. Matter of fact here soon I'll get to meet @trreed in the Nampa, ID area so even more saddle time. Tuesday I know I got to roll out to Parma, ID and work on a laptop out there for another guy. More miles. I might bring the RV home on Thursday's trip so the truck will get a good work out coming home. 

Just beating you up brother. I usually do my trips on Friday and Monday. Aboutm435 each way with maybe 100 to 130 thru the week. Not as many days on the road just longer trips. My next job is only 165 one way so I will be tracking up less miles. I am looking forward to that. I might just retire early if anyone tries to send me back north again. Don't want no part of that again.

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I had good luck from the NAPA it was in the realm of 155k or so. That one the ball end failed. Track bar changing is super easy if you do a trick. When installing the ball end don't get overzealous on the torque of the nut. You need just enough to seat the tapper in the casting. Then lock the nut with the cotter key. So many people think OMG I need to torque the living hell out of this I don't want the bar falling off. This last change I barely tapped the nut about 2 small swings with a hammer and the ball dropped out of the taper. 

When I put my last one I hit the nut with impact wrench and for some reason hammered it home. I knew better and she is really on there. Replacing that wont be a lot of fun. 

1 minute ago, dripley said:

When I put my last one I hit the nut with impact wrench and for some reason hammered it home. I knew better and she is really on there. Replacing that wont be a lot of fun. 

:thud:Sucks to be you. That going to be a torch and hammer deal when you change that next. That what I did on the first NAPA bar and was all pissed off and beating the trash out of that stud and even a pickle fork to get it out of there. 

2 minutes ago, dripley said:

Just beating you up brother.

Yeah, I guess it fair being we always pull the chicken jokes on you. :wink: