Mike Needs Help with Medical Bills Read more... ×

I'm really enjoying the MPG increase after changing tires from 235/85 R16 to 215/85 R16. I'm now crossing 17 MPG mark now. Then changed out the 190*F thermostat for 180*F thermostat and fresh coolant. This has brought down the overall running temps in the 175-182*F range. The thermostat is a bit on cool side which is fine. Then today I've changed oil and dropped from the 10w-30 oil to 5w-30 which is suggested for winter operation. I might just squeak a bit more out with this. Then my new app for tracking both trucks. 

Screenshot from 2018-09-14 08-24-04.png

After all my tinkering and tweaking to the little 1996 Dodge I've broken my own record high mark on this truck. I'm able to do consistent 16 MPG with a touching of 17 MPG. This includes two trip on the interstate 84 running at 75 MPH.Selection_090.png

Looking back. from Jan 1, 2017 to Dec 31, 2017. A low 13.69 MPG. That is a huge jump for this little truck. 

Screenshot from 2018-09-26 07-32-09.png

• Changed from 235/85 R16 to 215/85 R16 tire
  • Change thermostat from 190*F to 180*F.
  • Changed oil from 10w30 to 5w30.

I've ordered a set of headlights for this truck. I'm going to try something on the budget side and see what happens. 

https://www.amazon.com/VIPMOTOZ-Chrome-Housing-Headlight-1994-2001/dp/B07BTPQBG7/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Dodge|40&Model=Ram 1500|2760&Year=1996|1996&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=4&vehicleType=automotive

I want this truck to be able to be driven in the winter night if needed but I don't want to pony up the $700 again for Morimoto's so I'm going to try something from the budget line up on Amazon and see how it pans out. 

71rShOcF-PL._SL1000_.jpg

I have been at similar headlights. Are these just low beam? I see the low beams mentioned 2 or 3 times but never high beams. Am I missing something?

Ok... Light are here. They are a plug and play setup. Just mount them on the truck and plug in. Everything is ready to go. Crystal clear lens and standard chrome reflector. Nothing fancy with the headlight case. As for the bulb setup. That is a bit strange is a hybrid Xenon HID bulb and a halogen bulb stacked in a socket. On lo beam the xenon bulb warms up and appears to be about 6k bulb bluish tint to the light. Now flip on the hi beam and the xenon is dropped and the halogen takes over. All I done tonight was lay one in the passenger side and flipped on the headlight switch. So I've not seen the light pattern or anything as of yet.

More to come with pictures. 

Well, that didn't last very long. I got the headlight all installed in the truck, turn the headlights on. The Xenon bulbs have a pretty bluish tint light just like a Morimoto 6k bulb would but the pattern isn't very good. Jagged and broken edge and rather scattered. It's OK and do-able but not like a good HID light. Then I flipped over to high beams and the xenon bulbs turn off and you get the orange/yellow light from a standard 55w bulb. Ok... But then after having them on all of a few minutes the driver side bulb got dim... Then you could see the hotspot grow. POOF! Out when the hi beam bulb on the driver side. 

So the next thing I do is just pull the light out and installed my old SilverStar halogen bulbs. Then find out the housing lock ring notches are well different. One of my stock rings is missing a tab and you can't get the lock rings off the Xenon bulbs. Crap. 

All I got to say these kinds of lights look like you going to get something great. Not really. When you are trying to put the light beam against China made optics of the plastic housing you not going to get the nice crisp cutoff as the Morimoto has. The headlight housing are fine for now and work with standard halogen bulbs I just need new lock rings to make them work. 

DSCF4498.JPG

VipMotoZ is going to replace the bulb. Now I've learned something else. You can't replace the bulbs separately. These are a technically a sealed unit. Once it fails you have to replace the entire bulb both halogen and xenon as a unit. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Back to running the Mopar. I've got the headlights upgraded using Silverstar Halogens. 

As for the pizza cutter 215's these things are awesome up here in the frozen wasteland. Excellent traction.

Funny part is when the truck is not a daily driver the MPGs fall into the 13 range. I'm sure now the time I'm using the truck I'm going to bet it will rise.

20181206_150450.jpg

Being the Cummins is back on the road.

I wanted to try something. I went digging around for the my OEM PCM for this truck. I found it. I wasn't sure if it was truly dead yet or what but I kept it. I hooked it all up and it works. Now being able to compare the behavior of the stock PCM vs. Mopar Performance PCM. I'm going to keep the stock PCM in. The timing isn't aggressive on the stock PCM. Barely reaching 32 to 35 degrees of timing while coast and about 26 degree while cruising. The Mopar Performance will hold 40 degrees of timing all the time just about. 

Then transmission behavior is better. Not shifting into 4th as quickly and locking up the torque converter as fast. The Mopar Performance was dropping into 4th and locking up and pulling the RPM's down to 1,000 and making it lug the engine and if the octane wasn't high enough it would pre-ignition rattle starts. 

I'll continue to bench test the old stocker around home a till I gain some faith in it. 

I had something happen that was rather strange on my last trip down to Ontario, OR. I got to my gate to lock up like usual and rolled the headlight switch over to cargo. Locked my gate and rolled it back to the normal dimmer. Then proceeded to get rolling to notice in a short distance the panel light went out. Didn't know my tail light and front marker lights were also out. When I got home reviewed the wiring diagrams it was fuse 15 in the dash that supplies the power for those circuits. After replacing the fuse I'm back to normal. 

I played it safe and bought a headlight switch for the truck... Man those things are expensive at $109 from NAPA...