• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.

20180313_163216.jpg

Got the old 1996 Dodge Ram out and started doing my Ontario trips with the V8. Man I forgot what driving a gasser was all about with a automatic 4 speed. LOL.

Posted (edited)

Give me time to work on the Cummins now that winter is over. I'm tired of the oil leak I've got somewhere on the gear case. I want to power wash the frame and treat the rust before it takes hold fully. Possibly do valve seal on the head when I can get funds ahead to buy the tool spring compressor tool and the seals. 

Not to mention the 1996 Dodge has been sitting so long my last fuel log entry was 4 months ago. I started putting effort into that truck so I could swap roles and do work on the Cummins without be rushed because of dialysis days (Tues, Thurs, Sat.)

Edited by Mopar1973Man

After a coffee adventure in the 1996 Dodge I had to get creative. MoparMom's coffee cup is too big for the cup holder in the early 2nd Gen trucks. Yesterday I got creative and made custom cup holder. It was was and cost me some scrap lumber.

15213110572161061693509.jpg

Made out of 14" x 19" x1/4" plywood. 

There is a little wood butcher in you after all.

• Like 1

i know the feeling Mike, i have 2 diesel trucks, and we also have a 2011 ford ranger. sometime i just like driving the little truck, it's easy to park. but it only gets 14-15 mpg, the two cummins trucks get 17-20. so it's kinda a wash fuel wise. it's time for that little truck to get some use.  

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 5:47 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

I want to power wash the frame and treat the rust before it takes hold fully.  

What would you use to treat the rust? 

Winter is pretty much done up here as well, but all the salts on the road sure rust everything out

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Alexio Auditore said:

What would you use to treat the rust?

Any kind of rattle can paint that works with rust. I've been picking up paint at Home Depot and power washing the spraying the frame once dry. 

Funny part is that after a week of driving the little half ton MoparMom and I are ready to switch back. The Cummins does better on fuel MPG number. More power and easier to pass other vehicles. Better stability in poor weather be it rain or snow. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Probably wouldn’t hurt to put some rust mort/seal on it to make sure it doesn’t come back or keep spreading under the paint.

17 hours ago, Killer223 said:

sometime i just like driving the little truck, it's easy to park. but it only gets 14-15 mpg, the two cummins trucks get 17-20. so it's kinda a wash fuel wise.

Exactly... No gears to row, smaller lighter truck. Fun to drive but still the Cummins out performs the little V8 gasser. 

Try  the wife's 98 Saturn. You can park it in a shoe box and if a deer runs out in front of you you will just clip it in the ankles. It is better on gas but about 30 miles is all i can do in it.

2 minutes ago, dripley said:

about 30 miles is all i can do in it.

That there has a bit of truth. Like I do the maintenance work for the mail lady up the road from me. On rare times I've had to test drive her car its a 2003 Subaru Impressa. That thing is just like that Saturn you are talking about @dripley . Now my problem is you have to pour me into the driver seat. My problem is with the seat all the way back my knees still rub the steering wheel. I've got to thread myself into the car and about fall out on my face to get out of that Subaru. She even got an older Subaru she drives for a backup car I've driven it too. Same problem I'm just too fricken big for those cars period. Maybe that why I own two Dodge Ram's I fit in these two truck just great. I've got to nearly put my seat all the way back to fit. I'm about 1 inch from the rearmost travel of the seat.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm about 1 inch from the rearmost travel of the seat.

At 6' 4" I have my Dodge seat near 2" from the rear most position. If I had an auto I might be back all the way. Just more comfortable with clutch and the wheel for that matter.

Edited by dripley

I'n 6'4" and run my seat all the way back in just about everything I drive. Some of the newer cars I don't have to go all the way back in. 

I DD a 02 Jetta Wagon and it's got more room than I need, it's actually quite surprising how well I fit. I've drivin mini-trucks (Ranger, Toyota, etc) that don't have as much room. 

Cars that big guys can fit in can be found. My Jetta has saved over 100K miles on my truck, lots of wear and tear, and it's not uneconomical. 

Went to the race in Charlotte NC with my brother a few years ago and the trip came with a rental car. The gal at the kiosk said she had VW that was perfect for us. My brother is 6' 3". Him and I are both thinking a VW bug. We just looke at each other and laughed. Turned out to be a Passat. We both fit in very nicely, plenty of room. I would agree there are quite a few fits for us longer folks out there, maybe even some Saturns.

I've made my mind up I'm going to put my best foot forward and attempt to breathe life back in the that little 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. I'm actually enjoying to drive that truck. The transmission shifts awesome and the power is good enough for the highway. I've ordered me a gooseneck cellphone stand for this truck it'll be here on Tuesday. 

Some of the things I'm going to do.

• Power wash and paint the frame black again. Just mild surface rust but I was to stop this before it gets ugly. 
  • Cellphone gooseneck stand - Going to do the same setup as the Cummins but going to move the OBDLink LX over here and set up the cellphone for monitoring the engine performance. I'm also going to tap the stereo so I can pipe in the cellphone for phone and music functions. This means the ScanGauge II will be retired and most likely heading for the Classified to be sold. 
  • USB charger port for this truck - This is a bit of a problem being where the power point is on the dash and I don't want a bunch of cables hanging on the dash. Just too tacky for me. 
  • Pull the carpet out and power wash the carpet with a 30-40* nozzle and brighten it back up. Rather dirty looking... 
  • New seat covers that fit properly for those seats. Some posted here a company that has the seat motors I'll find that post again but I'm going to replace the two motors that are damaged in my driver seat. 
  • New tires. I'm going to change up the tires slightly to alter my gear ratio. I'm jumping from the 235/85 R16 to 245/75 R16. This is about 26 Rev's per miles more and about 1 inch less in tire height. Overdrive is struggling in the lower RPM range this should help the MPGs just a touch. - Nope, I'm not going for the cool factor. I'm going to for the performance factor!
  • Eventual I will do the body work and paint it again the same factory color. Yeap... I'll do it myself.
  • I want to pull my homebrew tonneau cover and get a lightweight roll back cover like on my Cummins truck. 

What funny after making several trips back and forth with this little truck the MPG's aren't as good as the Cummins but between the price of high octane fuel it about the same cost right now as the Cummins. This gives me lots of time to work on the Cummins being its got a steering box issue. As for the 1996 Dodge Ram, I want to make that a killer little truck again. Funny to see heads spin around when the tires break loose on that ratty looking truck, primer spots in the hood, paint peeling back, etc. :burnout2: But she still puts on a good show.

Posted (edited)

Like here is my first step. Nasty surface rust on all the frame. Salt is doing it damage to the frame on this little truck.

20180408_100323.jpg

Then a bit of Rustoleum Tune-Up...

20180408_102134.jpg

I'm not looking for pretty I'm looking to just seal up some of the frame for right now. I plan on this summer really going strong and jacking the truck up and getting after it with my spray gun and about a full gallon of paint. This is a cheap stop-gap till I can get past all the nasty weather and rain. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

The other mod I'm going to do here soon if possible is change the tires from 235/85 R16 to a 245/75 R16. This will be a good change up of size going down another notch which change my final gear ratio from 3.41:1 to 3.70:1 which will improve the launch power and city light to light power. Again I'm not in this for the "Cool Look" but efficiency. This kind of gear reduction will improve the MPG quite a bit I think. Final gear ratio of 3.70:1 will be good for the low end which 55-60 MPH float low in the 1k RPM band. 

https://tiresize.com/gear-ratio-calculator/

I've added the Cellphone gooseneck but with the early 2nd Gen seat there is a problem Huston. The later 2nd gen I had the bracket for the center seat to bolt to on my 2002 Dodge. This seat doesn't have that spot. So I mounted it on the driver side right front mount bolt. This sucks too because the gooseneck isn't long enough to be seen very well and tipped towards the floor to even see it. So I've got to get creative with this project to make it work better. I've also got to hunt down an RCA to headphone cord to patch into the stereo in the truck. One last thing is finding a USB power point with a 3.0 Amp plug remote mount that. I'm still thinking hard on a location of that plug to keep the cord mess down. 

This truck is pretty darn fun to drive and been doing good for power and reliability. MPG's well I'm not going to say it good by any means but I'm hanging with it for now. 91 Octane is spendy stuff and diesel is cheaper.