• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ham radio operators

• 2 years later...

so gonna revive this thread, i am now running a pi-star dmr internet linked hotspot in home. i purchased a retevis rt82 dual band analog/digital DMR hand held.

currently in truck

yaesu ft8800r dual band mobile

stryker 10m/cb mobile

handhelds

yaesu ft1xdr w gps and aprs

retevis rt82 dual band analog/digital DMR

projects

yaesu ft7900 dual band emergency portable base station with solar charging in a 40mm ammo can

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2018 at 11:26 PM, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

so gonna revive this thread, i am now running a pi-star dmr internet linked hotspot in home. i purchased a retevis rt82 dual band analog/digital DMR hand held.

KE7XG .......no rig in the truck.  Portable rigs I can take camping with me when I take the 5th Wheel places.

Several hand-helds -  2M, 220MHz, 440MHz...

Trying some digital comm modes....Packet, etc

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

final product "canned ham"

(No subject)

r r
Mon 2/18/2019 7:27 PM
for your viewing pleasure, i present “canned ham”

homebrew field ops base station

eqpt list:

yaesu ft7900r dual band ham radio

18w solar charger

two 9ah 12v agm sealed batteries (in parallel 12v 18ah)

60w inverter for the acer

acer aspire switch 10 fully functional pc with loads of ham software w ac adapter

wired mouse

rtlsdr v3 dongle attached to acer for sdr operations and receiving of digital modes

voltmeter/switch/cig lighter socket on pwr panel 15 amp fused mains

20amp solar charge unit

multitool (in solar panel pouch)

a dual band ht antenna for QRP quick operations

baofeng uv5r with mono cable for sstv transmission (hooked to iphone) and its own antenna

iphone 5 for sstv creation/ other digital modes

usb light

external speaker

ft7900r operation manual (pdf manual on phone also)

50’ audio cord to put uv5r up higher for better reception

a couple usb charging cords for devices

All this nicely placed in the can with some room to spare!

i have a comet dual band antenna with 50’ of coax that will be in a separate bag and mounted on a tripod appx 30’ in the air and guyed.

eventually i will have a yaesu ft857D for hf/50/144/430mhz bands and a larger solar charger for the 100w capable radio

thumbnail_IMG_3931.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3932.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3935.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3936.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3937.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3938.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3939.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2019 at 6:12 PM, dripley said:

I dont know squat about the technical aspects, but I love name "canned ham". Just spit my beer all over myself. And in that last picture, whoose hand did you cut off and stuff in there?

yeah canned ham was my idea hahaha  and its my hand holding the side latch

On 2/19/2019 at 8:17 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I kind of wonder if the battery could hold up long enough. Say a night time operation. No solar. Vehicle is disabled or away from a vehicle with battery source.

the radio itself draws .5 amp while not transmitting and 9a transmitting @50w. i have 18ah total of battery and communication would be short and to the point. so when there is no sun it will be minimal operations unless other things are needed on. so the calculations for night ops are .5A for 12 hours, it requires a 14ah battery. im 5ah over that.  eventually i plan to make some kind of generator that doesnt require fuel. now to float the system all i need is 18watts and it floats @12.8vdc under full load with everything hooked up to the batteries. so power requirements are very low to operate at maximum power and load.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:39 AM, Dieselfuture said:

looks really cool, wouldn't that radio get hot though

the radio has a fan on the backside of the heatsink. the case will always be open under a cover of some kind and not operated closed up.

• Like 2