• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Stutter/cough on acceleration...is vp44 bad?

4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Probably has it on the wrong setting on multimeter or it's too cheap to give a correct reading 

He is also getting some other weird readings on othersensors too. I looked Autel and they offer a lot of different scanners and they aint cheap. Hope that means they are of good quality.

• Like 1

I dont know. What I do know is that your apps and boost  should reading near 5v. Not the numbers your seeing and it is very odd that you have no codes. Bit of mystery. Maybe something is wrong with the scanner. Just hard to say. Somebody body correct me if I am wrong on the 5v sensor voltage but the apps is in another world and the boost is in the cellar. All the sensors are on a 5v circuit.

The 121 might explain the weird APPS voltage reading.

The 216 most likely will explain your stutter. The vp is gone.

Just replaced mine back on Thanksgiving with the same code. 

Edited by dripley

22 minutes ago, Zekeworst said:

Lovely... So I need a new VP pump then? 

I was also reading that if I replace that that I also have to replace my lift pump as well...? 

The 216 is a mechanical failure in the VP. Usually it is a lift pump failure that takes the VP with it from what l have heard. If you still have the stock lift pump on the block, I would replace it no matter what. They are not great pumps.

After looking online and being floored but the amount of money it costs to replace the pump, I came across the DDRP Relocation pump (says it’s designed to go closer to the fuel tank rather than in the engine bay and acts more as a pusher pump) for much cheaper than the OEM part. Could that be a viable (and cheaper) solution to my problem? 

18 minutes ago, Zekeworst said:

After looking online and being floored but the amount of money it costs to replace the pump, I came across the DDRP Relocation pump (says it’s designed to go closer to the fuel tank rather than in the engine bay and acts more as a pusher pump) for much cheaper than the OEM part. Could that be a viable (and cheaper) solution to my problem? 

The DDRP will work for your lift pump but that won't help with the VP pump issue.  You will still need to replace them both.  Did you verify that you still have the stock pump on the engine?

@Zekeworst, even though the 0216 code is a timing failure code within the VP44 injection pump, I wouldn't replace it just yet.  I would inspect / clean all battery connections and ground locations.  I would also investigate the APPS voltage to ensure that you are within the correct voltage range.  Then, I would clear the codes, drive the truck and see what happens.

- John

Edited by Tractorman

19 minutes ago, Zekeworst said:

There are 2 pumps. One the VP and 2 the lft pump. The VP is the pricey one.you need to checkout DAP or Vulcan performance  for a VP. They are still about $1000  but still much cheaper than most any one. The DDRP is a lift pump. Your main problem is the VP44 which is your injection pump. That being said your lift pump could easily be the reason your VP died. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

3 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

Even though 0216 code is a timing failure code within the VP44 injection pump, I wouldn't replace it just yet.  I would inspect / clean all battery connections and ground locations.  I would also investigate the APPS voltage to ensure that you are within the correct voltage range.  Then, I would clear the codes and drive the truck and see what happens.

- John

Agreed.  Before dropping $1200 for a new VP better to check and make sure it actually is bad...  Good point John.

1 minute ago, dripley said:

There are 2 pumps. One the VP and 2 the lft pump. The VP is the pricey one.you need to checkout DAP or Vulcan performance  for a VP. They are still about $1000  but still much cheaper than most any one. The DDRP is a lift pump. Your main problem is the VP44 which is your injection pump. That being said your lift pump could easily be the reason your VP died. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

I do not have a fuel pressure gauge. So the pump isn’t dead yet? I feel like if I were to replace the lifter pump that it would save the VP pump long enough to squeeze a little bit more life out of her. 

7 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

@Zekeworst, even though the 0216 code is a timing failure code within the VP44 injection pump, I wouldn't replace it just yet.  I would inspect / clean all battery connections and ground locations.  I would also investigate the APPS voltage to ensure that you are within the correct voltage range.  Then, I would clear the codes, drive the truck and see what happens.

- John

Where are all the ground terminals? Easy to get to I hope... I know where a few are but finding and going through the rest of them may take awhile. 

2 minutes ago, Zekeworst said:

Here’s what my pump looks like. It’s got torque paint on it so I’m assuming it’s stock. There’s also the numbers 1022204 inscribed on the plate cover. 

That is your VP.  You need to follow that fuel line back along the engine, it will go to a filter canister then to a small electric fuel pump (if its still stock).  If it still has that small electric lift pump then its still stock.  If not then either there was an upgrade put in the tank or on the frame somewhere.

54 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

.  I would also investigate the APPS voltage to ensure that you are within the correct voltage range.

Check out his apps voltage above. It is out of range. 160.8v

47 minutes ago, Zekeworst said:

I do not have a fuel pressure gauge. So the pump isn’t dead yet? I feel like if I were to replace the lifter pump that it would save the VP pump long enough to squeeze a little bit more life out of 

It is possible a new lift might help and if you have the stock pump or in tank pump you need to replace it. Whether that will solve the problem is a gamble.

Edited by dripley

Also: I apologize for all of you who may think I’m asking “stupid” questions. I’ve never owned a diesel before and I’m just trying to make sure I can (hopefully) pass this truck on to my future child(ren). 

Yup. It’s stock. I see a mopar sticker on it. 

image.jpg

So... From what I’m gathering, I can either: 
A. Replace the lift and in tank pump and hope it fixes the problem

B. Replace the VP pump (which will most likely fix the problem 
C. Replace all of those components and KNOW it will fix the problem. Damn owning a diesel is an expensive hobby... ?

I also just noticed that there’s a slight crimp on the inlet side of that lift pump. That could be why it’s doing all of this. I’ll see if I can uncrimp it. 

Edited by Zekeworst