• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Stutter/cough on acceleration...is vp44 bad?

3 hours ago, Zekeworst said:

Thank you all for the info. Once I get the new VP and get it to the mechanic, I’ll be sure to tell him to look over everything and see what all is wrong with it. 

But then they're  will be no joy of self discovery.

• 5 weeks later...

What would cause a shudder type issue? When I get on the highway and it shifts to 4th lockup, it'll shudder. Not violently but it seems like it'll go away if I lift a little and get back in it..... Keep in mind that this is Texas were talking about (75mph speedlimit so everybody does like 80+) so I'm pretty deep in the pedal when it shifts. Anybody know what could be causing it?

12 minutes ago, dave110 said:

Sounds like the torque converter slipping to me.

Sorry I forgot to say it doesn't happen all the time. :doh: Is it fuel or timing that'll make it do that? I was messing with my tune and now it does that lol need to change it but not sure what to change

Have you done the WT mod ? My truck used to shudder in 4th LU . Did the mod and it's not done it since. I fitted a quad later on and it still holds fine in 4th LU . I've got a tow tune on it and trucks feels really nice in LU but I'm only on lvl3 out of  11 I think due to stock trans

17 minutes ago, BrokeAssPainter said:

No but it doesn't do the lock/unlock thing, I know what you're talking about. And I was wrong, it is a bit violent I mean it feels like I'm hitting rumble strips or something of the sort

Mine did not lock/unlock  it just felt like the LU was slipping/grabbing VERY fast, this caused what I can only describe as driving over a cattle grid at 100mph or rubbing a credit card across the bars of a parrot cage very fast, if I backed off then back on it but slow and easy it would be fine, BUT backing of causes the LU to actually unlock then it locks again as you accelerate so my thoughts were it is actually being turned back on after the backoff unlock.

I might have done it straight away or it might not have done it for miles it was so unpredictable.... all I know is WT mod and it's never done it since and I'm making more power now with the quad, yes I know not a huge amount more as the last thing I need is a trashed trans but I have briefly got on it in LU to test to see if it has gone and it is now really smooth and no prob, do the AC test and check, if you have a multimeter it is cost free 

• Like 1

I'll share my experience since it's similar to yours then you can take it for what it's worth. Back when I had an XZT+ if I towed in the +60HP setting the TC would chatter so I only towed in the +30 setting. As it got worse the +60 would slip the TC with an empty truck but dial back to +30 and all was well. It didn't do it all the time, only when it locked up under heavy throttle. And this is with 215-85's. Now you were messing with your tune adding fuel and timing, ie. horsepower, and now it shudders. Back off and it's OK again? Same as my situation dialing back to +30 and no chatter. My TC was right on the edge where 60HP would slip it but it would hold 30. After a new billet TC and some valve body work I have no issues even though I stepped up to an Edge Comp. I understand what your saying about timing and fuel causing a surge but what you describe does not sound like a surge, to me at least. Maybe start a new thread about tuning the Adrenalin if you're thinking it's more of a tuning issue.Just a thought

• Like 1

I don't know mush about the Adrenalin, but can you keep the same timing/fuel setting but just back down the power level? If so and it still does it then you'd know its the settings in the Adrenalin. If not then, well, lets just say it's a never ending game this power game :lol:  :spend: