• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering upgrade

Hey guys looking to put new steering links on the truck. Ever since I put the DOR track bar on my stock steering linkage has really shown its wear. It'll pop while turning and you can easily turn them by hand. Looking to upgrade to the 09 kit, will this one work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046NUOLM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also would it be worth upgrading the steering stabilizer? Or will that even work?

Ok

Maybe what CT was talkin about is if I DID get a new one to get the one that fits with the appropriate year steering upgrade I got? I noticed the one he linked to rockauto is a 2010 and the one I linked from amazon was for 03-09, any difference?

Did you guys have any issues installing this kit and getting it centered again without having the pitman arm being all out of alignment? Was doing some reading on CF and someone was complaining that his pitman arm couldn't like up straight again once he had the new kit on. Sorta seemed like something got out of whack but just wanted to make sure before I pull the trigger on this.

You have a leveling kit correct? On some stock height trucks you run out of adjusting room on the drag link because the linkage is longer than 2nd gens and the tie road and drag link touch in the adjusting sleeve. I think mine are 1 turn away from touching, due to plow prep coils.

Yea I have a leveling kit. That would explain it. I also think some people turned the wheel after the linkage was off the truck and got things misaligned.

Probabaly going to order this soon. I talked with a local 4x4 shop to see if they had it in stock and they said that their price from their supplier went from 360 to 440, so definitely glad rock autos around!

• Owner

To this day I still watch many people constantly looking for upgraded front steering parts attempt to make it stronger or better. Here I sit still with 264k miles still got my stock OEM steering box without a leak yet. Still running stock OEM tie rod ends yet and the the steering is still tight as the day I bought the truck new. Never upgraded nothing, no braces, no fancy parts, etc. The only thing I've replaced was track bar and ball joints that's all. Still travel quite of forestry roads and hauling trailers.

Just posted this to make you think a bit...

Yea I'm not sure how you managed that Mike! If I had this truck since new then maybe I'd be in the same boat as you.

As of now they need to be replaced. They're so loose they can easily be turned by hand. If I'm going to upgrade I'd rather upgrade to a t-style.

Well I ordered up the kit, says it's 3-4 days shipping so I'll update you all when it gets in and I get a chance to put it on the truck. Thanks to the write ups from CSM & The Hammer it should be even easier.

Still going to have to wait until the kit gets here to see if I'll be able to use the stock steering stabilizer or not. I've heard equal amounts yes and no so we'll see.

I will be interested in how this works for you. My oe stuff last to about 230k before I replaced it all. I replaced it with stock Moog parts and the steering is still pretty fair though I have had some instances of death wobble or something near it. Been thinking about the t steering.

Ok so not to hijack, but I'm confused on this. Is there any T style steering upgrade for a stock height 01 with a build date of 2000? I've read so much conflicting info on this. I was waiting for the new synergy system to come out in August, but it's gona be $750, so I'd like to find an alternative if I can...I know my tie rod ends aren't gona last much longer....

Here's the breakdown from CSMs write up of years of trucks and what you can and can't use.

• 94-99 old style taper knuckles and pitman arm
  • 00-02 trucks have new style taper in knuckles and pitman arm
  • 03-08 trucks have the new style same as the 00-02
  • 08.5-12 trucks also have the same taper as the 00-02 and 03-08 trucks

This kit WILL work with stock ride height trucks, the only POSSIBLE issue people run into is running out of adjustment on the draglink. I've read that others haven't had an issue with stock ride height and that they were able to adjust the draglink enough to get it into alignment, others have not. The other issue is stock wheels so if you still have stock 16s then you can't run these kits. I have 16's but they have enough backspace that it'll fit.

• Like 1

@leathermaneod check this thread out

I may have been wrong about the stock wheels being a no go on this kit. I only made it through the first few pages but it seems like some said it worked for them, others it didn't. Figured it'd be worth a read.

Anyways, got my kit in today so I opened up the box to see how it looked and to see if I could notice any stand out issues. All looks good. I'm slightly worried about them fitting on my 16's as I'm not 100% sure on the back spacing. They stick out a decent amount and from I can tell they have a -6 back spacing so I guess I'll find out when I dive in.

Does anyone know if -6 back spacing would be enough? This is how much room I have right now.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

@notlimah, thanks for pointing me to that thread! Definitely looks like I could easily make it work even with my stock alloy wheels! Really glad I found a good alternative because I was really not wanting to spend all that money on the synergy and I don't think my stock tie rods ends are gona last much longer. Another Question though, why were guys saying you can't rebuild the tie rod ends on that setup? Do they mean you can't replace them? You have to by a hole new tie rod setup when they wear out?

From the looks of them, I'm not sure how they'd be replaced individually as they seem sealed. I doubt replacing the whole tie rod is that expensive. You might be able to grind off the sealed looking end or just whack the threaded end to knock it out of the tie rod, but this is all speculation. 

@CTcummins24V What back spacing does your 16's have?

Looking at your avatar it appears that you do not have stock wheels. I have been searching for wheels and have had a hard time finding wheels with the stock offset Most all I can find are near 0 offset and the stock wheels have about 45mm offset as I remember. From the pics you posted yours look to be near 0. Please correct me if I am wrong.