• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering upgrade

The pull to the right could be road slope??

As far as the brace, I haven't read anything about a box leaking from a brace??? Mine was put on at 75K and it's now over 200K. Maybe I'm just lucky. I also like how the box adds extra support between the frame rails at another location. The less the frame flexes the better.

I have a steering brace on mine now for 160 maybe 175k miles. Still have the oe steering box with no leaks. I noticed in your pictures BBD that you have 17" wheels and that helps with you clearance on the steering set up almost as much as 0 offset wheels. 

I was looking through the part numbers for the 'new' bolts for the TRE's, but I was thinking, can't you just pick this up at the hardware store with the same specs? Looks to me like its a M14x1.50, so do you really need the Mopar brand ones from the dealer?!

2 hours ago, notlimah said:

I was looking through the part numbers for the 'new' bolts for the TRE's, but I was thinking, can't you just pick this up at the hardware store with the same specs? Looks to me like its a M14x1.50, so do you really need the Mopar brand ones from the dealer?!

Thats exactly what I did. Nylon nuts and steel washers from local hardware store. I forget the size, just bring the 1 nut they gave you to the store. They're all the same size IIRC

Edited by CTcummins24V

4 hours ago, TFaoro said:

The pull to the right could be road slope??

As far as the brace, I haven't read anything about a box leaking from a brace??? Mine was put on at 75K and it's now over 200K. Maybe I'm just lucky. I also like how the box adds extra support between the frame rails at another location. The less the frame flexes the better.

Rode slope will do it a bit too i think but this one pulls more than it should. Air pressures in tires will do it to so i will start there but i'm sure it still pulls. It just feels like i'm wrestling the truck at times. Like doing an upper body work out in the cab lol...

as far as the steering boxes leaking after the "frame to frame brace" i have read where guys say that happened but it appears they don't know it had anything to do with the steering brace. Go on DOR's site he explains it well. 

For those of you having no steering box leaks/failures do any of you off road? I am always flexing the frame getting into a camp site or going to get fire wood or...???? So i could see why the DOR might be better for me. If you just drive paved or even gravel roads but never around the farm going through ditches etc then i'm sure the frame to frame steering brace would be fine. 

4 hours ago, dripley said:

I have a steering brace on mine now for 160 maybe 175k miles. Still have the oe steering box with no leaks. I noticed in your pictures BBD that you have 17" wheels and that helps with you clearance on the steering set up almost as much as 0 offset wheels. 

Incorrect, i have 16" wheels. 

They are offset though compared to stock and that helps with clearance too. 

6 hours ago, notlimah said:

AFAIK the rebuild WILL make the steering tighter but just a straight rebuild won't change the amount of turns lock to lock. From what I've heard from companies like redhead they suggest sticking with the 4.5 turns lock to lock for our trucks, but obviously go with whatever you prefer.

I've heard the same thing about the steering brace, but I've had mine on for a while now with no leaking or other issues. I may however in the future swap over to the DOR brace just because I like their design, but that'd only be if I had money to blow haha!

I know the bars not cheap but it's one of the only track bars specifically designed for the 2nd gen, so just something to consider.

Don't these trucks always pull to the right? I thought that was the norm but maybe I've just accepted it as the norm haha

That rebuild sounds interesting. Will look into it more. I'm ok with the 4.5 turns i just want the play gone. I thought there was a set screw type thing up top to take the play out of it? I have some reading to do...

There is an adjustment screw on top of the steering box that can be tightened up. I have tightened mine once only 1/4 turn and it made a good difference. There is more to it than that if you have to make a large adjustment. I will have to defer to someone more knowledgeable than I to explain how.

I stand corrected on the tire size. I saw a 17 in a photo but it turns out it was not one of your pictures.

29 minutes ago, dripley said:

There is an adjustment screw on top of the steering box that can be tightened up. I have tightened mine once only 1/4 turn and it made a good difference. There is more to it than that if you have to make a large adjustment. I will have to defer to someone more knowledgeable than I to explain how.

I stand corrected on the tire size. I saw a 17 in a photo but it turns out it was not one of your pictures.

Yes normally i'm not to scared to work on something i've never touched before but this is steering and not something i want to have screw up on me at hwy speeds lol.

i'll wait till others chime in and go from there. 

In that link I posted earlier in regards to steering box issues I believe Cowboy posted a few really good links on how to rebuild and tighten up the steering box. 

As as far as my brace goes, I have to admit, mine is a bit of a pavement queen. Not by choice! I try and find every excuse to take the truck off yonder but I rarely have justifiable means! Good point about the difference between the frame to frame and DORs. Either way I think you'd have to get some pretty heavy frame flex to cause damage. Probably would mean the sway bar bushing and end links were toast and not helping the poor steering brace haha

1 hour ago, notlimah said:

In that link I posted earlier in regards to steering box issues I believe Cowboy posted a few really good links on how to rebuild and tighten up the steering box. 

As as far as my brace goes, I have to admit, mine is a bit of a pavement queen. Not by choice! I try and find every excuse to take the truck off yonder but I rarely have justifiable means! Good point about the difference between the frame to frame and DORs. Either way I think you'd have to get some pretty heavy frame flex to cause damage. Probably would mean the sway bar bushing and end links were toast and not helping the poor steering brace haha

My truck sees off road every day. When the truck flexes i can hear the cab creek and squeek  lol 

p.s-PULL TO THE RIGHT FIXED!!!! My tire on the right side had 30 psi in it... All the others had 52psi. I set them all at 56 psi. Still has a very slight pull but not like b4. 

The wandering is mostly because of that play in the steering wheel.  I remember someone saying that did this front end swap that the steering brace was hardly needed anymore. 

I'd still like to get the DOR brace eventually. 

The old girl is getting better day by day. 614,000 km's on this beast and half are staight oil field/logging roads here in the Rockies. 

She's been around the block this girl! Lol

it's actually more km's than that because it's had bigger tires since day one. Not sure what that is in miles but it's getting up there. 

P.p.s - i'm going to try and bolt that steering stabilizer back on and see what its like. Will report back. 

Edited by BIG-BLACK-DODGE

3 hours ago, BIG-BLACK-DODGE said:

Rode slope will do it a bit too i think but this one pulls more than it should. Air pressures in tires will do it to so i will start there but i'm sure it still pulls. It just feels like i'm wrestling the truck at times. Like doing an upper body work out in the cab lol...

as far as the steering boxes leaking after the "frame to frame brace" i have read where guys say that happened but it appears they don't know it had anything to do with the steering brace. Go on DOR's site he explains it well. 

For those of you having no steering box leaks/failures do any of you off road? I am always flexing the frame getting into a camp site or going to get fire wood or...???? So i could see why the DOR might be better for me. If you just drive paved or even gravel roads but never around the farm going through ditches etc then i'm sure the frame to frame steering brace would be fine. 

IMG_20160619_121246374.jpg

Plenty of off road here. This was pulling a load of hay through an orchard which had ditches, humps, corregated rows, etc. There is also a deep water drain at my apartment for school which the truck gets twisted on a daily basis. Just like you're saying the cab sure likes to groan!

8 minutes ago, BIG-BLACK-DODGE said:

i'm going to try and bolt that steering stabilizer back on and see what its like. Will report back. 

It'll work, but won't be as effective because of the slop on the bolt. I made a sleeve out of solid stock on a lathe to make mine tight.

26 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

It'll work, but won't be as effective because of the slop on the bolt. I made a sleeve out of solid stock on a lathe to make mine tight.

If you get a stabilizer for a 4th gen truck it should be direct bolt on right? Fittings and all?

5 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

Thats exactly what I did. Nylon nuts and steel washers from local hardware store. I forget the size, just bring the 1 nut they gave you to the store. They're all the same size IIRC

I wasn't given a new nut at all with this kit unless it fell out somewhere already. I'm just going to pick up some nylock nuts from Ace and if they fit, then great, otherwise I'll take them back and get the right one.

46 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

IMG_20160619_121246374.jpg

Plenty of off road here. This was pulling a load of hay through an orchard which had ditches, humps, corregated rows, etc. There is also a deep water drain at my apartment for school which the truck gets twisted on a daily basis. Just like you're saying the cab sure likes to groan!

I will definately be putting a sleeve in there. 

I have a Rancho shock too and i thought it came with another sleeve when i bought it?? Not sure but i have a whole box of various sizes of spacers and sleves so i'll figure something out. 

So did you say you have the frame to frame steering stabilzer? Originally built by a Canadian I might add!!?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BIG-BLACK-DODGE said:

I will definately be putting a sleeve in there. 

I have a Rancho shock too and i thought it came with another sleeve when i bought it?? Not sure but i have a whole box of various sizes of spacers and sleves so i'll figure something out. 

So did you say you have the frame to frame steering stabilzer? Originally built by a Canadian I might add!!?

I feel betrayed! I never got any sleeves with my new one :mad:

Hey the Canadians make my favorite whiskey! Crown Royal :cool:

6 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I feel betrayed! I never got any sleeves with my new one :mad:

Hey the Canadians make my favorite whiskey! Crown Royal :cool:

Ha yes we have good alcohol. Was a teenager playing Hockey in the States we would always find it funny how the U.S boys got drunk so fast... Lol our booze was definately more potent i think. The beer there seemed like water to us. Lol

This post has inspired me to go get a bottle of Crown Royal... 

Happy Canada Day ya'll!!

Edited by BIG-BLACK-DODGE
  • Like 2

Well I looked in my box of sleeves and found one that fit almost perfect. It fit thecrancho shock just fine but where it slides over the bolt on the tie rod it had just a timy bit of play so i just put one wrap of electrical tape to take up the gap. Bolted right up. No need for a fourth gen steering stabilizer shock the stock one works just fine. 

image.jpeg

I found a mound of dirt and flexed the truck pretty good. The only tight spot is where the drag link comes close to the sway bar link but it didn't touch. 

I tightened up the steering box but still have that wandering...i guess i'll have to do the other adjustment but i don't think i can do that one on the truck. 

2 hours ago, notlimah said:

Any measurements for the sleeve you used? I don't have a stash of them laying around to try and fit so if I could get a few that could be close along with new bolts that'd be great.

I'll measure it up tomorrow. I have another just like the one i put in...i could mail it to you! Lol

oh wait...Canada post is on strike  again...lol 

I was pretty sure my ranch came with it. I always keep that stuff for times like this. Worked out good. Just took it for a drive with the TRE's all greased up and the steering shock in. I think it feels tighter. One thing i noticed is my steering seems to stay in one spot if i take my hand off the wheel. Could be from the shock or could be from Me adjusting the steering box...

I'll back off the set screw tomorrow and try it again. 

All i really need now is to get rid of this steering play. If you are driving down the road in your rig what's it like? I can move the wheel about 2" back n forth without it moving the tires. I want that slop gone! 

Will have to read more on that other adjustment gor the steering box.