• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need opinions on different turbos in the s300 frame for my truck should I go with 62 63 64, 65 68 71, 12 non gated 12 gated or 14 t3 divided gated need the turbo to tow and be street able but still have power but not be tagged or hotter then crap any opinions would be appreciated I'm thinking 64 68 12 personally in the bw sxe billet line or should I step up to T4 so many choices 

Edited by Silverdodge

No power goal just looking for a monster daily that will never see a pull sled and for now a 20 foot car trailer with side by sides on it or the occasional car or truck sooner or later I'm going to a 30 foot goose neck or a big toy hauler and when I set the cruze I want it to stay at that speed type of guy the 57 wheel I'm my s300 makes a Fun daily but hook a trailer to it and it gets hot like 1400 degrees hot so I need a bigger turbo asap lol and I thought about the 62 but I don't think it will flow like I want 

Say I went with a 62 12 gated what exaust wheel would u run I understand turbos but have no clue what I wanna go with 

Edited by Silverdodge

It is hard to have your cake and eat it too.  

I would not suggest anything bigger than a 62 if you tow a lot,  if you want more power while towing you need to start considering twins.  

What rear end gearing do you have? that will play a huge role in your turbo choice.

Again if you want more power than a 62 can support and you tow I would highly suggest you go with twins.

You can see why I say that in this spreadsheet

I plugged in your 35's and you 3.55 rear end.  Your effective gearing with 35's is about 3.05's.  Effectively you won't be able to use OD unless you are doing 80+, which I hope you don't tow at that speed.   look at the mph per gear in the dark green.  That is where you will be able to efficiently tow.

With a 63 and bigger your revs would really need to be 2k+ when towing to overcome the effective gearing reduction due to larger tires.  you will just generate heat towing at a lower rpm.

Now look at the gearing split between 3rd and OD.   The larger turbo is REALLY going to make that gap stand out.  you will be revving pretty high, too high for good mpg, in 3rd and you will be lacking revs in OD to not generate heat.

I'm in for this discussion as well! This is the same thing I've thought about many times, for when the time comes for me to upgrade. I'd prefer a good tower over a horsepower monster, but could still DD. 

The variable I didn't really consider was rear diff ratios. Is there anything we can use between 3.55 and 4.10? 

Torque converter stall speed will play role in turbo spooling off the line. My low stall converter, super b and 100 hp sticks are laggy off the line but once the turbo starts to light around 1500 rpm, truck runs clean and powerful. Larger wheels on both sides of the turbo will be harder to spool off the line. Like ME said, factor in 35s and 3.55 gears, too big of a turbo will be a lag pig.

10 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I'd look at the s362/68/12 SXE. It should move as much or more air than a 63 while spooling quickly. I hope you have the trans to hold it!

I was about to post the same thing.  Good for 450 hp easy.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

I was about to post the same thing.  Good for 450 hp easy.

Should be able to push it toward 500 with a hot tune.

If you remember my old setup ;)

Edited by TFaoro
  • Like 1

jordan, dont forget to mention that the engine is studded and possibly oring'd with big sticks. probably 200-250+hp sticks...

at 70mph he is still smoking out the tail so he needs a big turbo which will have too much lag and not streetable, or twins which is perfect...

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...