• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Which fuel pump should I get?

Well as you can see there are many choices. Now you get to do some research and figure out what you are going to do with the truck. I would figure at least as much as the EJWA will do. Mechanical or electric will give you the fuel that you need. It is going to end up being a personal choice as mention before. As always there is more than one way to skin a cat.

On 8/30/2016 at 4:36 PM, xmtysonxm said:

Is 25 psi too much for a VP44?

On 8/26/2016 at 3:50 PM, xmtysonxm said:

Is the stock filter setup good enough? I am leaning towards the Fass 95 gph adjustable series. It comes with larger diameter fuel line from the stock pickup all the way to the stock filter. 

25 psi is not going to harm anything and is perfectly fine.  Probably almost necessary for some if their pump of choice and fuel line plumbing isnt capable is maintaining a lesser overall drop in pressure from idle to WOT.

The stock filter is OK too.  Not great but ample micron filtration size for the everyday person using decent quality fuel sources.  More filtration is always better but whether or not you need it is up to you.

Edited by KATOOM

• 1 month later...

I got the FASS 95 gph adjustable pump installed last night. Came with 1/2" Parker fuel line from the tank to factory filter. I have the factory line from the filter to the VP44 for now and the EJWA sensor is on the banjo bolt for the VP44. Install went easier than expected and the truck runs so much smoother. What do you do with the factory fuel lines? Cap them off? Just leave them? And is it fine to leave the factory carter pump on the block or should I take it off and save it just in case? 

You can leave the factory supply line in its place if it doesn't bother you.  But you should get some rubber caps so they dont end up full of garbage if you should ever want to use them again.  You can also leave the lift pump in place too if its not in your way, but removing it is easy.

The line from the fuel filter to the VP should also be changed to 1/2" as there's no point in going through all that effort just to keep a small section of tiny fuel line and restrictive banjo bolts.  Counter productive.....

You need to move that sensor away from the VP too.  A lot of hydrodynamic fluid pulses coming from the VP and can damage the sensor over time.  Hopefully you have a snubber on it though otherwise sensor damage will be inevitable.  On a good note though, when you replace the fuel line between the filter and VP, you can use a tapped 90* barb at the outlet fitting of the filter housing which will allow a new location to place the gauge sensor. :thumbup2:

• Like 1

I have about 2 feet of that 1/2" hose left and plan on replacing that section as soon as I figure out what push lock fittings/thread patterns I need. So if I relocate my sensor to the tapped 90 barb   I still need the snubber right?  I called Edge tech support a couple months ago and asked them about hammer pulses from the VP44 and using a snubber and they said their sensor isn't affected at all by that. I'd rather be on the safe side and get a snubber but I thought it was interesting they said they have never even heard of this before. 

I most likely will leave the factory lines and pump on there and I'll try and find a cap to cover them up. 

I'd replace your factory fuel line from the filter to VP with a big line kit from Vulcan. Obviously those lines would get chucked. The other lines that are back on the frame going to the tank can just be left alone unless your OCD won't allow it. Carter pump can be left as a backup/fail-safe/primer or tossed.

That is very interesting that Edge told you they haven't had issues with the pulses affecting their sender. I thought that was a pretty universal issue. Anyway just wanted to add that I would use a snubber and a needle valve barely cracked open to act as a second snubber and a shutoff valve just incase. 

7 hours ago, xmtysonxm said:

I have about 2 feet of that 1/2" hose left and plan on replacing that section as soon as I figure out what push lock fittings/thread patterns I need. So if I relocate my sensor to the tapped 90 barb   I still need the snubber right?  I called Edge tech support a couple months ago and asked them about hammer pulses from the VP44 and using a snubber and they said their sensor isn't affected at all by that. I'd rather be on the safe side and get a snubber but I thought it was interesting they said they have never even heard of this before. 

I most likely will leave the factory lines and pump on there and I'll try and find a cap to cover them up. 

If you have enough of the hose left then all you need is the JIC fittings and adapters.  I linked what you're looking for but where you get them is up to you.

The 90* tapped elbow for the outlet of the fuel filter housing.

Needle valve to act as a snubber. or Dedicated snubber or another dedicated snubber

The pushloc fitting for the hose end that goes to the VP.
The 12x1.5 mm to -8 JIC adapter for the inlet of the VP and the oulet of the fuel filter housing.  (You need two of them)

And I'm not buying that Edge never heard of the VP pulses.  Its kind of a well understood industry thing.....  So to say they know nothing of it sounds like the tech was clueless or they're moving away from admitting the knowledge of the problem for sake of warranty issues.  Either way, you HAVE to use a snubber on these trucks.

Lastly, if you have plans of connecting the sensor directly to the 90* tapped elbow then you may want a 1/8" NPT - 1/8" NPT 90* elbow so you have room. :thumbup2:

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 1

It is not going to hurt anything to leave the old lines and pump. You ought to get a big line kit to replace the restrictive banjo bolts. This allow the fuel to flow better from the filter to the VP. Vulcan performance has a good one.  

Guess I should have gone to page 2 before posting that.

Does it matter if your fuel pressure sensor is pre or post filter? Looking at my FASS HPFP I see there is a port for a fuel pressure gauge on the pump itself. And if the sensor is way back on the pump do the VP44 hammer pulses still affect it? 

You want your fuel pressure gauge to be after the fuel filter so that you know when your fuel filter is plugged up.  If you want to connect the sensor back on the FASS then thats perfectly OK, you'll just need more wire.  And yes, you'll still want a snubber..... :thumbup2:

• Like 1