• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Band adjustment 48RE

angus

I know its probably archived here somewhere, but can someone please post the proper procedure for doing a band adjustment on a 48RE ?

Thanks

Angus

Edited by angus

Back off the adjuster jam nut, tighten the adjuster down to 72 in/lbs (NOT 72 ft/lbs...!!); 72 in/lbs is equal to 6 ft/lbs. This seats the band. Now back off the recommended number of turns on the adjuster, and lock the jam nut back down. Done...

The number of turns to back off the adjuster depends upon a number of things, but I typically run mine at 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 turns.

• Like 3

• Owner

Be also aware that trying to use a large torque for this job can process weird results. What I mean is, I've seen people attempting to do 6 foot pounds on a 3/8" drive torque wrench, when you should be using a 1/4" drive that is actually rated for inch/pounds.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Be also aware that trying to use a large torque for this job can process weird results. What I mean is, I've seen people attempting to do 6 foot pounds on a 3/8" drive torque wrench, when you should be using a 1/4" drive that is actually rated for inch/pounds.

Purchasing a inch/pound torque wrench is on the agenda today. By chance does anyone recall the pan bolt torque spec off the top of their head?  I have learned the hard way from over tightening pan bolts by feel:doh:

Edited by angus

7 hours ago, Dynamic said:

10-12 ft/lbs should be fine. I usually just hand tighten them with a speed handle.

Thanks! My hand tightening must be a little too much:whistle2: I have dimpled the pan on my turbo 400 on the GMC now have chronic fluid leaks. A new aluminum pan and paying attention to torque specs are my fix for that one! 

• Owner

Tightening pan I typically grab the ratchet at the head and spin it like a palm ratchet this way it really hard to produce any excessive torque that would cause such problems. Like my new Harbor Freight ratchets are the flexible handles I just fold the handle to the extension and use it like a palm ratchet again. Either way it still tough to produce damaging torque. Yes torque wrench is the ultimate way of doing things.