• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

On to the next problem, a leaking head gasket.

I use a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF on anything I put heat too, PB blaster just smokes away.  I've done many rusty manifolds and turbine housings this way with good luck.

• Like 1

Got the head off today with the only issue being two broken manifold bolts. 

It appears that the head gasket has been replaced somewhere along the line with the crappy Fel-Pro gasket. It's easy to see why I was leaking water so bad.

20160717_193609.jpg

20160717_193554.jpg

The cylinders all looked great, especially for 300k miles.

20160717_193240.jpg

I forgot to get pics of the valves and valve seats but they looked really good as well.

I'm dropping the head off at the machine shop in the morning and should have it back Tuesday or Wednesday. 

Edited by The_Hammer

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Coolant pH did help that gasket to fail...

I don't doubt it. I've been fighting rust in the coolant system since owning the truck. I've flused the system until the water comes our crystal clear, fill with premix and a month or so later it's brown again :doh:

• Owner
7 minutes ago, The_Hammer said:

I've flused the system until the water comes our crystal clear, fill with premix and a month or so later it's brown again :doh:

Something is altering the pH rapidly if in a months time the coolant is discolored. Then premix is already mixed with distilled water. The coolant problem will have to solved rapidly to prevent more damage in the future.

• Owner
8 hours ago, The_Hammer said:

Personally I don't believe that I'm removing all of the rust. Once the head is back on I'm going to do a flush with something like citric acid.

I would be careful with acids. Again this is what created the gasket problem so if you do flush it with citric acid make sure to flush it all back out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would be careful with acids. Again this is what created the gasket problem so if you do flush it with citric acid make sure to flush it all back out. 

If I do go that route I will flush the system several times before filling it with coolant.

I'm not sure when they changed the gasket, the '98 I did had the same one.

Leaking from by the thermostat housing is somewhat common thing.

After having my engine sit empty for years, I had a lot of rust issues too.  I tried flushing Lord knows how many time to no avail, pulled the radiator out many times.  I gave up and plan on running a coolant filter temporarily at least.

@Dieselfuture I can't remember what I had in it other than it was green smiley_abused.gif

@Mopar1973Man  Would this happen to be the stuff your thinking of? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-tc001?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-summit-racing&gclid=CPDrgNbT_s0CFcKGaQodUH8Fag&ibanner=MobileSwitchNo

Edited by The_Hammer