• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

vp44 how long do they last??

I have 188,000 on my 2002 VP44. I hear they have a reliability problem that is starting to worry me. My gcw is 18000lb with my 5r.  Should i just change it or at least line up a vendor that sells a reliable rebuilt. Any suggestions where to buy one??  Also do the orfices wear out on the injector nozzles that could produce a poor spray pattern? My mileage is going down. Truck is stock with no trick controller ( California). If i do change injectors what would be recommended?  

If that's 188k out of a stock VP I'd say you definitely got your money's worth!! Some people have had theirs replaced at 5k!! 

The reliability of the VP44 has gone up tremendously. A lot of that is the knowledge of proper fuel pressure, and a lot has to do with using better/stronger materials in newer pumps. 

If I were you I'd run your current pump until it's dead. No point in throwing 1200 bucks at something that's not broke! I WOULD however invest in a good aftermarket lift pump from FASS or Airdog or Fuel boss if you want all mechanical. Next I'd at minimum a fuel pressure gauge and make sure your over 14psi at all times with occasional trips to 10psi being ok. Hopefully doing that will stretch the legs of your VP a little longer. 

If it does quit check our vendors section out on the site. Vulcan performance and DAP are two great resources for pumps both injection and lift.

I'm not too savvy on all things injectors but yes spray patterns can degrade, someone else will have to fill you in on the more technical reasons why. Injector size depends largely on how much fuel you're moving and how much air you're pushing. Stock turbo and no tuner, most would recommend either brand new stock sticks or some rv275's. 

Sorry that post got a little lengthy! Hope it helps

Edited by notlimah

• Staff

Mileage going down can indicate the VP44 is wearing. The best place for an injection pump is from Eric at Vulcan Performance. He makes sure they are rebuilt by people that get it right with the new upgraded timing piston sleeve and new computer on top. That is where I bought mine and I'm picky about avoiding good deals that can turn out bad..

Most important list of things prior to getting the new pump;

Need fuel pressure gauge

Lift pump that can handle your towing load going up the hills and hold fuel pressure above 14p.s.i

Vulcan performance big line kit will help you there too

And putting 2 cycle oil, one qt every tank, in the fuel to bring lubricity levels to the VP44 design level. Remember the VP44 was designed for the old diesel fuel before ULSD. The new fuel tests show that it causes premature wear with a higher scoring value, so the 2 stroke oil is good each tank.

Sorry about 'the list' above, I did not read your signature till just now.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

• Owner
7 hours ago, oldbeek said:

I have 188,000 on my 2002 VP44.

I'm at 215k miles on my VP44... Keep going, if there is no error codes just keep going.

Also do the orfices wear out on the injector nozzles that could produce a poor spray pattern?

The injectors do wear out. I would have your currently pop tested and checked. If the pop pressure is low and/or nozzle are getting pissy or poor spray then yes MPG's will fall.

If i do change injectors what would be recommended?  

I would suggest stock or RV275 at the most. I would highly suggest a set of stock injectors and non-wire tap module for power. This way there is no issues for California smog testing. I don't think you want to keep changing injectors every year for smog testing. The module I would opt for either Edge EZ or Smarty. This way you can gain from timing and such improving the power and MPG some.

• Like 1

The RV's themselves will give you a nice little bump in power and MPG. I drove my truck with just them for a little over 2 years and was quite happy with. Did better than I thought DD and towing. But now with the Comp on it stock sure is tame.

I also would not just change the pump with no symptoms other than the mpg being off a little.

Edited by dripley

Thanks for all the replys. I thought eric at vulcan would be the place to buy my parts. Just wanted the right source for a pump if i get stranded in podunk texas.  At 110,000 i lost the transfer pump and did the mod with big lines,fittings,pump and guage. I run Archoil fuel and oil addative.

Knock on wood but I have 255k on my original VP44. Also I still have the stock lift pump and filter setup although I am on my 4th lift pump. I have always had a mechanical fuel gauge installed so I am religious about swapping filters and pumps when they go bad. The earlier manufacturer of the lift pump seemed to make a bad quality product never could get over 15 psi  and 6-8 at wot also I remember them costing $150 or so. The last couple are a newer design that get around 19 psi and 12-14 at wot, plus I picked up the last one for $80. If/when I replace the VP44 I will look into an upgraded pump and filter setup. Just my experience and yes I know for the cost of all my pumps I could have gotten an upgraded fuel system already!

Nothing wrong with what you have as long as it keeps up.  gauges are a must as you have proven.  just because something is aftermarket, doesn't mean it is good quality.  I went through 5 raptor 100 pumps within 2 years.

the vp44 is a good pump provided you treat it well, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

All of this advice is great, and I might add, don't waste your time on checking your old stock injectors out to see if they are any good. In my opinion it's a waste of time and money.  Just get rv's and you don't need to turn yours in for a core, and later you can by nozzles and have someone put them on your old injectors and do all the pop testing then. Or just turn them in for a core on some 50hp which is good also. At 180k your injectors more likely are out of spec. anyway. Plus doing that work just to check stock injectors is silly, now if they were something you loved and wanted to keep then yes do all the tests to them, but I don't know anyone that is going to pull stock ones out and put money in them just to gain nothing. I guess maybe government equipment is like that. Spend a butt load of money and not get anywhere.  Again just my opinion.