• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

That kind of a road is easy to drive on. It's when the plows come by and leave a thin layer of ice on top of the road that makes it difficult. Where I live during school (Golden CO) literally the whole place is on a hill. My truck will go backwards if not in 4wd, and I've gotten stuck on hills in a car because the roads are so slick

• Like 1

• Owner
8 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

Notice how flat that road is. Not pulling a trailer either 

I climb 6-7% grade without issues typically again rarely do I need 4WD but if the conditions are slick enough I'll use it. Most highway out here are OK for conditions. Typically snow covered. Still run just 2WD with H/T tire like last winter (unstudded). This winter I'll be running on A/T tires still unstudded. Still run in 2WD for most of it. Now yes towing a loaded trailer yes I would be in 4WD. I'm the type to drive as far as I can safely with 2WD so 4WD is my fall back if I do get stuck or squirrelly. I do have road chains but never really needed them unless I'm travelling up in the forest beyond plowed roads.  My trailer season basically ends at snow fly. Can't use the RV nor am I hauling firewood out in the winter snow. I've been know to still run the trailer for hauling stuff for other in the winter.

13 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I think I'm going to try a set of Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires in size 285/70/17. My brother has these and is Very happy with them! With how much power he has it's hard to find a tire that doesn't spin and these have gotten the job done for him.

I'm going a bit bigger to drop RPMs from the transmission change. I'll be happy if rpms drop and mileage remains about the same.

Truck.jpg

I had terras before and really liked them, I got toyo at2 now and not sure if they're any better, plus my Toyos are only just over a year old and getting dry rot already.

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I think I'm going to try a set of Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires in size 285/70/17. My brother has these and is Very happy with them! With how much power he has it's hard to find a tire that doesn't spin and these have gotten the job done for him.

I'm going a bit bigger to drop RPMs from the transmission change. I'll be happy if rpms drop and mileage remains about the same.

Truck.jpg

That's a badass pic!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I climb 6-7% grade without issues typically again rarely do I need 4WD but if the conditions are slick enough I'll use it. Most highway out here are OK for conditions. Typically snow covered. Still run just 2WD with H/T tire like last winter (unstudded). This winter I'll be running on A/T tires still unstudded. Still run in 2WD for most of it. Now yes towing a loaded trailer yes I would be in 4WD. I'm the type to drive as far as I can safely with 2WD so 4WD is my fall back if I do get stuck or squirrelly. I do have road chains but never really needed them unless I'm travelling up in the forest beyond plowed roads.  My trailer season basically ends at snow fly. Can't use the RV nor am I hauling firewood out in the winter snow. I've been know to still run the trailer for hauling stuff for other in the winter.

I haul 700 gallons of water up a pretty good slope to our house year round. Isn't much with a higher pucker factor than sliding down hill backwards on a snow packed road with a loaded trailer cause I didn't think I needed chains. Lot easier to put them on and not need them than to wish you would've. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

I haul 700 gallons of water up a pretty good slope to our house year round. Isn't much with a higher pucker factor than sliding down hill backwards on a snow packed road with a loaded trailer cause I didn't think I needed chains. Lot easier to put them on and not need them than to wish you would've. 

Those words apply to a lot of different scenarios!

• Like 1

Same here we have glare and or black ice quite a bit and I have ran studs on my wifes last 3 front wheel drive cars and she can drive through more stuff than most 4X4,s do. Her office parking lot is on a side hill and she has been the only one who was able to get into and out of it many times over the years due to ice with studs on directional Firestone winter force tires. A lot of guys who work in the same building run the Nokias on 4X4's and and have been stuck several times. She just smiles and pulls away.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

The pucker factor can go high real quick hauling liquids on steep icy roads:(

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:06 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Here is the 235/85 R16 Hankook's DynaPro ATm's. These are still rated at 3042 @ 80 PSI load Range E's.

DSCF3789.JPG

I have been running Cooper`s ST Max Kevlar tires for a couple of years now which I like very well. I tried a set of these Hankook tires on my youngest Son`s F150.  He was put a lot of highway miles on them since, and I have been very impressed with them.  They are wearing great, and the ride is excellent.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

I'm guessing you haul it on a trailer and not in a back of your truck, cause 700gal is about 5800lb