• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My tires need replaced before winter makes its head. What's the popular suggestion for tires these days?

I'm half pave half off road. It snows a boat load in the winter. I'd like something with a high load rating, but also aggressive enough to keep my traction and give me longevity. While i realize I'm asking for the perfect tire, there has to be something close!

I'm thinking about going with oem size tires also. But I've also wondered about different wheels and sizes. 

So what's everyone say...

Edited by hex0rz

• Staff

I had to drive thru snow every day last winter and was getting stuck too often, so to save money I went to Les Schwab, I know.... I swore to never go there again.... but, I just had to get on my way so I bought their house brand Mud and Snow (the ones that are a step down from the most aggressive) and they are wearing fine and did very well in the snow too. Paid $750- 850 ish for the stock sized load range E.

I am liking the tires I have on my 2010 1500 Hemi from https://www.treadwright.com/

I bought a set for my cummins too on sale a couple months ago and will have them on both rigs come fall.

For the price one can't go wrong. I run 250+- miles gravel a week with my hemi and they have around 20k on them since installing them and they are not chunking and look really good yet, should make 40 K miles easy with all the gravel and trailers it sees.

Got both sets of 4 delivered to my door step for $560 each set.

3rd gen wheels are 17". 265/70-17 are the same diameter as the stock 265/75-16. Then you could go to 3rd gen calipers on the front for more braking power. I got some off craigslist with tires that had 1/2 tread for $300.

You guys understand that these tires from treadwright are re-treads, right?

Edited by joecool911

1 hour ago, joecool911 said:

3rd gen wheels are 17". 265/70-17 are the same diameter as the stock 265/75-16. Then you could go to 3rd gen calipers on the front for more braking power. I got some off craigslist with tires that had 1/2 tread for $300.

You guys understand that these tires from treadwright are re-treads, right?

1 hour ago, Buzzinhalfdozen said:

They are re-treads but it's a much different process then the typical glue and stick you see on semi tires. 

Yes they are :Retrread" tires as Buzzin said they are not "recapped".

I have about 20K of the most abusive conditions on mine and they are holding up great, absolutely no complaints at all I even bought a second set on sale for when I am ready on my 05 this fall before winter.

They have been around for a long time and I have found nobody who has ever had a bad experience with them and there are a lot of folks who run them around here. Other than the internet rumor of some one who read of some one reading a bad story about them I have never seen or heard first hand from anyone who had a bad thing to say about them.

I have that tire in D rating on my 1500 Hemi. I have a set of 265-70-17 E rated waiting to go on the cummins when the time comes.

Sign up for their e-mails and you will get notifications of when they have sales they do 10-12% off with free shipping a couple times a year around certain holidays, that's how I bought both sets of mine.

2 hours ago, hex0rz said:

This is the tire i was thinking of:

https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter/products/warden-w2816e?variant=5386824707

3300lb rating, more than axle rating on rear, but just not as much load as current tires. I'm not pulling 5th as much anymore, if i do it's empty anyways. 

These look like BFG KO knock offs. Not an extremely long wearing tire.

32 minutes ago, joecool911 said:

These look like BFG KO knock offs. Not an extremely long wearing tire.

These are BFG's old tread design before going to the new KO tread design, the new BFG ko's have more tread siping and a more aggressive sidewall

I put 85K on a set of BFG AT 285-75-16 sold them to a buddy who ran them another 20K and sold the pickup and we saw them around about a year after that. I had them siped when they were brand new before installing them. They were all but bald when he sold the pickup about couldn't see the tread design anymore but they were black round and still held air which was all the final owner needed I guess lol.