• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

On 7/17/2016 at 2:06 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Here is the 235/85 R16 Hankook's DynaPro ATm's. These are still rated at 3042 @ 80 PSI load Range E's.

DSCF3789.JPG

Mike you'll have to do a follow up on these once you get some miles on them. Some reviews I saw mentioned them going flat pretty easily, would be nice to hear your experiences on that.

Those words apply to a lot of different scenarios!

• Owner

Mike you'll have to do a follow up on these once you get some miles on them. Some reviews I saw mentioned them going flat pretty easily, would be nice to hear your experiences on that.

So far I'm not exactly impressed with the so called stone ejector design. Supposedly the tread is suppose to stepped to reject stones from sticking in the tread. Sad to say it holds on to stones quite well. 

9 hours ago, wndwlkr64 said:

I'm running LT285/75/16 load range E Firestone Winterforce & really like them. Not overly noisy on the hiway & handle real well. only have 20K on them but they still look new. Studable  also.

Problem with running the Winter Force year round is that they do not last as long when running them on hot road conditions of summer since they are a softer rubber compound designed for winter driving conditions and will burn off a whole lot faster if you run them year round.

On 7/24/2016 at 8:41 AM, Wild and Free said:

Problem with running the Winter Force year round is that they do not last as long when running them on hot road conditions of summer since they are a softer rubber compound designed for winter driving conditions and will burn off a whole lot faster if you run them year round.

How many miles did you get out of your set of winterforce tires?

Been running them on my wife's last 3 cars and have had them all studded and only ran in winter time until they are worn down to a point they will no longer be a good winter tire then keep them on through the summer until used up and probably get an average of 50K out of them just rough guessing. They make 2 full winters and then stay on the next summer and get replaced the next fall. My wife puts a lot of miles on her vehicles she averages 30K a year on her car and figuring about half of those have the winter force on. All 3 cars are mid sized cars, first was a 95 Dodge neon 2 dr. coupe then an 03 VW Jetta TDI and current is a 14 Jetta TDI all manual trans and all see quite a bit of gravel as well.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

I've got my tire pressures figured out for these tires and set the pressures at 60 PSI in the front and 40 PSI in the rear for daily empty truck travel. Then towing the trailers its 60 PSI in the front and 60-65 PSI in the rear. I've got close to 1,000 miles on these tires so far and doing well. Very low noise if any at all. MPG's are still great capable of tipping 24-26 MPG empty running.

Man I have got to get some cleaner burning injectors. I just made my 300 mile trip back to NY today and my average was only 18.45 :sleep: Of course some of that was going about 70 mph. I dropped down to 65 mph near the end and watched my average creep up from 16.4 to 17.9 on the scanguage. Speed really does make a difference. I also have heavier steel wheels and load range E Mickey Thompson BAJA ATZ tires which are a more aggressive tread than I had before. I would never have bought expensive tires like that but I got them in trade :-). Oddly enough the Scangauge is finally getting pretty close to being accurate. I wonder if it had something to do with the loose ground I found at the PCM while working on my AC?

• 1 month later...

Been looking into the tread wright's more and I'm not liking their track record. They don't get a bbb rating but it seems i can find just as many negatives about them as positives. They seem to also have many claims through bbb than i would like to see. 

The thought of catastrophic failure like the pictures i see are very unsettling. I thought maybe it was because of their original design and not the b2b style. But some of the reviews are very recent Even with the new design! 

Needless to say, i was very close to getting some but now I'm very put off by them. I'm looking into other recommendations on here instead and they seem to be all over the map. I know for one im going to get one that is carried locally so i can have the support i need if something happens. 

Just need to do some more comparing to find out which one i think will win me over. 

• Owner

Bingo. I've got a wonderful friend here in the valley that could of got me an awesome deal on tires for super cheap discounted price. But... That was the problem if I had a road hazard issue or flat tire I was stuck bringing the tire back to him only. So I paid more for the tires but now have all the dealers I can stop at if I'm traveling. 

I have bought several sets of tires from www.discounttiredirect.com, and any discount tire outlet will perform warranty work if needed, They usually have the best prices for name brand tires, I have purchased the last three sets for the Dodge, two sets for the wife's Tahoe, and a set for daughters car, I just have them delivered to my house, free shipping and take them to the local wal mart for mounting, and put them on myself.

I too have been looking into the tread right, but still undecided, my truck is going to need tires before the snow sets in, I just cant justify spending a lot of money on tires that are going to wear out in 3 or 4 years anyway

I too use Discount Tire but go to the local branch. I also purchase their free replacement certificates at about $25 a tire. It is a little pricey but has paid off for me. You have to trash at least 3/4 of a tire a set to be worth the money. For some reason I have been able to accomplish that for some years now. Cut the sidewall open on one just the other day and they gave me a mostly free tire and the tire was down to the wear bars and along with the rest they all needed replacing any way.. It is not for every one and I probably have just broken even on that part of the deal. They have always backed there tires up for me no matter what. I have never tried the online purchase however.

• Staff

About 24 years ago I was towing a tent trailer up to Durango, CO.  Along the way the thread on one tire then another pealed off.  I stop in Gallop, NM at, I think, a Big O tire store.  It was the only major tire store I could find at the time.  I had all the tires replaced even the spare.

About a year later the side wall on one of the tires developed a bulge.  When I brought it into the local Big O I was told 'That  trailer tire came out of Denver and ours come out of Bakersfield'.  I told him, 'Not my problem,  I bought the tires at a Big O national chain store and have the warranty'.  They took care of it.   That's why I buy most of my tires at a national chain. 

Some times I get name brand tires that are like new from the salvage yards for pennies on the dollar then I don't care about the warranty.          

• Like 2

10+ years ago when I bought my first set of tires from DT I ran over a piece of rebar at work and ripped a large hole right thru the tread of a new Michelin LTX. Bought the tire in NJ and tore it up in FL. Went to the local place in FL expecting to buy a new tire and they looked me up and that when I found out I had the free replacement. It did cost me about $40 but I walked out with a new tire. DT does stand behind the tires and products they sell. I am sure they are not the only one that does. 

Besides one person reiterating the nitto tires, I've been eyeing the bf goodrich k02's.

Seems like a really good tire, but read life is short? Is it because of the soft compound? Looking at dropping about 1200 dollars for 5 of them with the hazard warranty through DT.

13 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Nitto Terra Grappler G2

Nitto doesn't make them for 16 inch rims?

i don't know about the ko2's yet as i only have about 1500 miles on them. but my last set of bfg's i got 68K out of. these are far and above quieter then the cooper ATP's i had before. but my ATP's also have 53K on them and i'll get an easy 10-15K more. 2 different trucks my 04 has the ATP's and my new to me 08 has the bfg's keep an eye out for promotions. i got a 70$ rebate card and i also got $60 card for using my DT credit card. and i in turn don't let it sit on there, soon as i got the bill i paid it off.