• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel Site. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Cummins owners. We try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use.

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members
    • Member Garage where you can display your vehicles and modifications.
    • Download Files, documents, and tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
IBMobile

Windows 10 and back-up

I see that windows 10 free install ends July 29 and I was wondering if it's worth it to up grade from windows 8.  I know that some of you have been running it, pros and cons.

I'm also looking to get a portable hard drive back up, either the WD-My Passport Ultra 2TB Model:WDBBKD0020BBK-NESN or the Seagate-Backup Plus Slim 2TB Model: STDR2000102.  Both are USB 3.0 and cost about $90.     Any thoughts.     

I like 10 fine.  

Lots of people say that windows is spying on you and yadda yadda yadda, but I honestly don't care. but %90 of the work I do on the computer is working on remote systems anyways. 

I can say 10 is faster than 7 was.  The fast boot is nice, and so far it has given me less troubles than any other OS.

For the drive, get whatever one is cheaper.  6 in one hand half dozen in the other.

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking about the drives.  They're both $89.99 at Walmart.  The WD has a 3year warranty and a max data transfer rate of 625megs/sec. The Seagate has a 2 year warranty with a max transfer rate of 4800megs/sec.  Other wise their pretty much the same.

How did the install of 10 go?    

Basically the difference of USB 2 and USB 3 models for backup drives. Also depends on how much you got to back up too. Personally I just bought a second 2TB hard drive and backup to physically mounted and motherboard connected. Even faster yet when tied to the SATA cable at 6GB.

I've got a 1TB Seagate and like it fine. Although when I updated to windows 10, it managed to keep all of my files / documents.

install was a breeze, just push the button and it worked.  

I'd get the drive with the longer warranty.  

• Like 1

I keep putting off the Windows 10 upgrade but time is running out. 

I've been wanting to do some more research on it but haven't yet. 

In any case of a upgrade I highly suggest you have a disc in hand when you do the upgrade. That way in the future if you need to reinstall you have a physical copy to install from. If you do the upgrade off the internet you are screwed in the future. What do you install with then? So I highly suggest you buy a copy for the upgrade process. Make a copy of the original disc and use your copied disc. This way the original is kept from being damaged. 

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

I keep putting off the Windows 10 upgrade but time is running out. 

I've been wanting to do some more research on it but haven't yet. 

IMO, at least for school work windows 10 is night and day better than windows 8.1. 8.2 wasn't horrible, but 10 is still way better. It is much easier to learn as well because it's more like 7.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

In any case of a upgrade I highly suggest you have a disc in hand when you do the upgrade. That way in the future if you need to reinstall you have a physical copy to install from. If you do the upgrade off the internet you are screwed in the future. What do you install with then? So I highly suggest you buy a copy for the upgrade process. Make a copy of the original disc and use your copied disc. This way the original is kept from being damaged. 

Won't help in terms of registering the product, the product  key is a thing of the past, now days it is linked to the computer  / account rather than the OS disc.  Any windows 10 ISO can be used.  Microsoft hosts the files are you need the "key" to use it.  

The days of local data storage are limited.  

That's one thing that I never liked. I'm a tinker. I love to change hardware and setting quite often so I always fought the activation. As a matter of fact the current copy of Windows 7 I own "legally" has had 5 different keys now because of hardware changes. To this day I don't bother with re-activiation because I don't really use it for very much. Still in all it best to have a copy of the Windows disc locally so you can install if need be. Kind of hard to install an OS system if you still got to download and burn it a disc without a computer.  

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 button recovery :)  

Our trucks have the same feature haha.    I understand your thought process, but those days are no more really.  Even now windows allows you to do a full backup to a usb stick.  I have that for my system.  

If you liked to tinker so much why aren't you running a VGT and a Quadzilla?? :shifty: 

I am on 7 on both machines and it's alright... truth be told I would like to go back to XP :-)

Maybe i'll give it a shot. 

• Like 1

haha I have a windows xp machine running on a hyper v server.  I use it all the time for old programs and some side work.  

I never have to worry about the computer failing, I just run it virtually and move it from host machine to host machine as time goes on.

OK, Did the back up and installed Windows 10.  Went smooth with zero problems.  Thanks  

Well there's your problem, if you backup everything always goes smooth.  I swear there is a checkbox that gets ticked whenever a backup is done :) 

Well I guess I didn't do the complete same. The laptop was just wiped and redone in May so I didn't do a backup and the desktop got the backup after the install :doh:

So far so good...