• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

joecool911

Need a website for myself

I am needing a website to sell self crafted leather goods...wallets, men's and women's belts, holsters, etc..  I'm not experienced, but hoping that a commercial building product like Wix will work. I'd need ability to take PayPal and credit cards. Would hope I could get a security certificate for customer confidence. Do any of you have advice for me? I need to be generating revenue by this winter. What about Google optimization? 

25 minutes ago, joecool911 said:

I am needing a website to sell self crafted leather goods...wallets, men's and women's belts, holsters, etc..  

Well you know I've been doing everything you are asking for. I would start out at a shared hosting like where I'm at like iPage. There is also GoDaddy.Com which I will not suggest its OK for shared hosting but they are always behind on technology. GoDaddy.com are the cheapest around for startup sites but quality is not top notch.

What about Google optimization? 

That's the toughest and requires lots of effort on your part to keep up. The biggest problem is URL age. You will be a fresh startup URL address so you'll get the lowest positions in the google response. So it going to be up to up to monitor Google Webmaster daily and see what people are searching for. Then modify your pages accordingly to hopefully place better. 

26 minutes ago, joecool911 said:

I'm not experienced, but hoping that a commercial building product like Wix will work. I'd need ability to take PayPal and credit cards. Would hope I could get a security certificate for customer confidence.

I can get you boned up and some basic experience. Paypal is easy the credit cards might take a bit more with processing fees. You'll also need to get your "DBA" or "Doing Business As". Then on top of this you'll need a standard bank account to hook the Paypal too. Security certificate is easy for any site just a matter of bit of setup and it permanent to the site like M73M.com. 

The biggest thing is finding server software you can handle and deal with daily. It will be you that will maintain stock and handle billing and such. The most I'll do is get the software up and running and you take over running your store. 

I would like to suggest if you going to get involved server wise to consider learning Linux because your site will be operated from Linux software typically CentOS Linux. If you are going to keep windows on your personal computer you going to need to pick up some other software to communicate with your server.  Like you'll need PuTTy so you can access terminal on your Linux server.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Well you know I've been doing everything you are asking for. I would start out at a shared hosting like where I'm at like iPage. There is also GoDaddy.Com which I will not suggest its OK for shared hosting but they are always behind on technology. GoDaddy.com are the cheapest around for startup sites but quality is not top notch.

That's the toughest and requires lots of effort on your part to keep up. The biggest problem is URL age. You will be a fresh startup URL address so you'll get the lowest positions in the google response. So it going to be up to up to monitor Google Webmaster daily and see what people are searching for. Then modify your pages accordingly to hopefully place better. 

I can get you boned up and some basic experience. Paypal is easy the credit cards might take a bit more with processing fees. You'll also need to get your "DBA" or "Doing Business As". Then on top of this you'll need a standard bank account to hook the Paypal too. Security certificate is easy for any site just a matter of bit of setup and it permanent to the site like M73M.com. 

The biggest thing is finding server software you can handle and deal with daily. It will be you that will maintain stock and handle billing and such. The most I'll do is get the software up and running and you take over running your store. 

I would like to suggest if you going to get involved server wise to consider learning Linux because your site will be operated from Linux software typically CentOS Linux. If you are going to keep windows on your personal computer you going to need to pick up some other software to communicate with your server.  Like you'll need PuTTy so you can access terminal on your Linux server.

Lots of blah, blah blah...lol. Not sure I want to go to the learning curve of Linix. Wix is web based and not operating system specific. I don't know...maybe I will need some help to get off the ground and I can maintain after that?

I can start the process I'm familiar with...DBA, bank account. I understand that when you solicate help you need to accept the area of expertise he has or you're not taking advantage of his skills. I'll be open to the Linux route if it's important. 😢

Be careful. I I'm not too fond of the web builder platforms like Wix. Doesn't give you very good control of future changes like internet standards or software changes. Like GoDaddy has a site builder and so does iPage too. Again its very limited on what you can do with some of this stuff.

Your best off starting with an empty server with no tools or site builders and build  your own site yourself. Then you understand more about the software and server your working with. Again even with site builder like Wix you need to understand Linux, Apache ServerMySQL database and PHP processor or what most of us call the LAMP stack.

Matter of fact I just took on another web site admin job this afternoon and have to fix a dead site and make it functional. 

Kind of like you can't be a Dodge Cummins owner without knowing how the engine under the hood works even in the basic sense. Same here you need to understand the basic sense of how a web server functions. I'm not saying you have to know every bit of code but to understand the basic functions and why they are there. 

I still can produce the same results but without a site builder holding limitations on what you can and cannot do. 

I used Go Daddy for my web site but my site is only informational and no order taking or Pay Pal.  Their customer service was great with any questions or help I had or needed.

That's where @IBMobile can get away with GoDaddy so easy he's not using any real PHP or MySQL at all. For something that basic yes GoDaddy is fine. When you talking about Database storage and PHP processing then you face with how much server resources do you have. Like there is 2 site I manage on GoDaddy right now running Invision Power Board software like here. They are also running the economy level which is rather tight fitting. 512 MB RAM, 1 Processor, Unlimited bandwidth, 250,000 file limit, and 100 connection limit. They MySQL database software is behind and running obsolete version 5.5 (security issue). PHP is barely up to date with 5.6 but 7.0 is already out. 

Just to consider the difference in quality and limits. Like here I'm running on Virtual Private Server. 4GB of memory, 90 GB of file storage. No file count limit. 3 TB bandwidth limit. 4 processor cores. This is about $60 a month. I've got full access to the server and can reboot if need be. I can add or remove software at the server level if want. Full access of the firewall and software security. Full access to cPanel and WHM panels both so I've got full control of the server. 

Shared hosting is like going swimming in public swimming pool. Lots of kids screaming, being splashed by others very hard to relax. Full maintain my the company software and hardware wise.

Virtual Private Servers is like a apartment / condo swimming pool there are times when it get a bit busy but people are more calm and quiet. Less screaming kids and excessive splashing. Still maintained by a company hardware wise. Software wise it up to you.

Dedicated Server is like having the swimming pool in your back yard. All to yourself self. It up to you to maintain and who you let swim in your pool.  

6 hours ago, joecool911 said:

So the dedicated server you can see who pees in the water. Lol.

:lmao: Well with any of the above servers your can see if something invalid was done. Typically all web servers have logs that the software creates of every single access every done on the site. So you can track every single IP address and action ever done to your server. Just how much hoops and loops do you have to hop through to get to said information in a critical time of hacker attacking your site? Are you able to block the person quickly? 

Again you have to take the time and get familiar with your server and what information it provides. That is another reason I'm turned off by GoDaddy they restrict a lot of information and make it very difficult to track hackers or security problems. Then on top of the fact they use out of date server software makes it more likely some will attempt to hack the site. So what do you have to lose? Money? Valuable Customer Information? Credit & Debit Card information? In the pass M73M was hacked 3 different times while on the GD servers. So far with iPage not even once yet. The few time that I've been attacked it typically be injection of code to the HTML or PHP files either shows up as a virus page or redirect your page elsewhere. Again back to how it done is either weak passwords or out of dates software with known holes.