• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline V2 Testing

TFaoro

Took a 75 mile drive this morning. With the "fix" we have in place to make sure the custom tuning is working it's SUPER smooth. Very little smoke too. On lvl 2 I'm getting about 38psi of boost and egts can't get to 1100. It feels like it has enough power to tow too, I just haven't pulled anything lately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have finally gotten around to testing the new APK from Spencer over at Quad.   It is working great.  I didn't notice the bug that the app used to have.   It does take about 4 - 5 seconds for the tune to fully apply but it can still be done on the fly.  

It was fun to switch between low power mode on different tunes,  I have one tune with % set at 20 one at 40 and one at 85.  at %20 the truck won't hold any speed, just slows down slowly and finally dies haha.  

Another cool feature that NO OTHER 2ND GEN TUNER offers.....See it?

Capture.PNG

"How much timing? well I dunno more than level 3" that is something you dont need to wonder about anymore...

• Staff

What's the feature? Timing log? That's pretty cool. 

She really starts to defuel at 3K :-) 

CanBus fueling must be the Quad fueling on top of OEM?

Some interesting timing changes in there based on fuel. 

Edited by AH64ID

13 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

What's the feature? Timing log? That's pretty cool. 

She really starts to defuel at 3K :-) 

CanBus fueling must be the Quad fueling on top of OEM?

Some interesting timing changes in there based on fuel. 

Timing log.

That's with zero quad fueling though. If I remember that's below OEM fueling too. 

I believe it's OEM timing as well. 

Finally got around to doing some videos and Data logging

Stock

Stock.PNG

stock.csv is the data log

Daily tune less aggressive but canbus + wiretap stretch at 1500

Stock.PNG

daily.csv 

Semi Race tune canbus plus wiretap stretch at 1800

wiretap.PNG

You notice a good bit of smoke once wiretap starts applying.  Moving the wiretap min PSI up to 12 psi or so should clean up all of that smoke.  

wiretap.csv is the datalog

wiretap.csv

daily.csv

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Finally got around to doing some videos and Data logging

Stock

Stock.PNG

stock.csv is the data log

Daily tune less aggressive but canbus + wiretap stretch at 1500

Stock.PNG

daily.csv 

Semi Race tune canbus plus wiretap stretch at 1800

wiretap.PNG

You notice a good bit of smoke once wiretap starts applying.  Moving the wiretap min PSI up to 12 psi or so should clean up all of that smoke.  

wiretap.csv is the datalog

wiretap.csv

daily.csv

I'm assuming psi is boost? 

And a general question, is new qwadzilla same as old from few years back before they went out of stores? Or does it have more abilities to tune?

The box is the same but I have been helping quadzilla by coding a ton of new tuning variables into the unit.  So it is a new base tune flash that allows the user to make these tuning changes.

The in depth tuning article I wrote has the changes listed under the V2 section.

• Like 1

I have another question according to quadzilla level one was Max mileage and it was all done with timing I assume it Advanced timing now with fooling IAT to 143f it retards timing can someone explain that please. I now Drive about 180 miles a day for work I've been experimenting with different levels and miles per hour, I can tell the difference when I tugle between fooling IAT and using IAT, and using level 1 you can hear higher pitch coming from motor I'm guessing the cause is timing. I have comp 1000 tune which came when I bought the unit. Driving 55 on level 1 I got right at 20 mpg, driving on level 3 I'd Got 19.5.  I am not trying level 1 without fooling IAT For more timing, 55mph is at 1500rpm, 

Edited by Dieselfuture

• Owner

Because Quadzilla uses the timing values from the ECM and adds to it. The ECM gets its timings from ECT and IAT temperatures. Colder temperatures means more timing, higher cetane fuels means quicker reacting fuel, so stacking more timing could be too much in the winter. The MPG fooler foops the ECM to thinking summer temps so the Quadzilla adds timing to slightly less advancement. This reduces the excessive cold start timing in winter. Also reduces the heavy rattle knocking noises.

• Like 1

yep,

I am noticing about a 1* retard of timing when I flip the switch on when temps are cold in the morning.

More Videos

Lvl 3 tuning only so no wiretap,  Same as my race tune 

A smoothing function added to the wiretap.  Same race tune but boost scaling raised to 40

Much improved over the race tune I posted yesterday.

• Like 2

• Owner

Ok... Progress made. 

I built two custom tunes now. An empty truck tune and towing tune. The difference between the two is pretty mild really. The towing tune works awesome. I've got 6* of timing and only 1200ms of wire tap on a 7 level tune. So running level 4 EGT's stay in check and pull all grades 6-7% without a problem I can gear down into 4th set the cruise for 55 MPH and the EGT's hover at 1,000 to barely 1,100*F. MPG is vastly improved. Pulling a 6% grade I had some try and challenge me on a merge... (Giggle) I squeezed the throttle a bit more to pull away. The rear of the truck arched up and the tires broke loose at 55 MPH (4th gear) on dry pavement heading up grade with the RV hitched up... :wow:

As for my empty truck tune I kicked the timing up to 10* and 2000ms of wire tap. Extremely strong and just a very light haze of smoke for the most part. I want to play with this now since I'm home and unhitch from the RV. 

I'll grab my fuel log book and post my MPG's from my trips to Boise and Home. Post them later on tonight.

• Like 1

So I have been mulling over timing tuning for a VERY long time.  

any tuner that doesn't write to the ECM uses a map to decide when and where to add timing.   Issue is that one map may or may not work for multiple trucks.   A twin turbo towing setup wont need the same timing map as a large single truck and so forth.  

I am fairly sure that most of the tuners also just ramp up timing on a semi linear curve as load and rev increase.  This works...kinda.  There are situtations where this doesn't work.  

If you drive around on lvl 0 datalogging ECM timing you will see that it is pretty dynamic.  It pulls timing if you romp n it at low boost and it walks up timing to ~23-24* at high boost and revs.   

when you apply a tuner on top of it what you get is the loss of some of that dynamic-ness.   You end up not pulling timing down low due to the way that they alter timing.  

So from a post before here is the timing map of a short run, OEM timing only

Capture.PNG

See the dip in timing at 29?  That is what timing is suppose to do in high throttle low PSI situtations. 

Here is the pre timing changes from the Quad as of a week ago. 

ODLTIME.PNG

Little hard to see, but you can see timing spikes when I step on the throttle. This is not that great for trying to spool a turbo. 

Now we look at the most recent changes.

Capture.PNG

See the timing in Red fall as I spike throttle?  This is an extreme example, but you get the idea.   the best part is there are 2 new custom tuning varibles that allow you to choose how much timing you want to pull in this case, and also a scaling function to allow you to pull more timing on lighter throttle.    

this should allow for a ton of fine tuning to happen in terms of low boost high throttle ( over %30) situtations.  Once 8 PSI is reached this timing alteration goes away and you are back to walking up timing as normal.   

• Like 1

Here is showing the extereme effects of the new timing stuff.  This log was from a 3rd gear pull locked TC from 30 mph up a 8% grade.   you can see when I put my foot into it the timing dropped from ~17* to ~11* then held at 11* until boost started to climb, towards the end of the log you can see boost come up, at 99 on the chart, and timing comes up with it to ~23*.  

Newtime.PNG

I hate to brag more, but smoke output is even less now.  That run had 0 smoke even with wiretap turned all the way up. My truck will not smoke now, no matter what you do.  

• Like 1