• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2016 Silverado Mileage

Hmm, my wife's 2014 gmc 1500 has had that happen a couple times, one time to the point where I put an extra quart in before the alert cleared. Dealership told me it was normal for that weight of oil :think:

I'll have to try out the M5 for around town and look into the catch can.

Not familiar with range afm though, how does that work?

22 hours ago, notlimah said:

Hmm, my wife's 2014 gmc 1500 has had that happen a couple times, one time to the point where I put an extra quart in before the alert cleared. Dealership told me it was normal for that weight of oil :think:

I'll have to try out the M5 for around town and look into the catch can.

Not familiar with range afm though, how does that work?

My truck doesn't use any oil.

Catch Can install took me about 1 hour.

Range AFM delete is a module that plugs into the OBD port and keeps the truck from switching into V4 mode.  That's all it does.

• Thanks 1

• Staff

Dorkweed, does your new truck have a 6 speed trans that the torque converter stays locked up? Even when downshifting? That is very cool if it does. And can you manually shift without having to unlock a lever or is easy to shift?

7 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Dorkweed, does your new truck have a 6 speed trans that the torque converter stays locked up? Even when downshifting? That is very cool if it does. And can you manually shift without having to unlock a lever or is easy to shift?

Yes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

That is cool... how do you shift it in manual mode? If I'm guessing right you have an automatic and a manual shift mode.

There is D/Drive like a normal automatic.  There is M/Manual and a button with + or - on it to select the maximum gear range you wish to choose.  If you choose M3 the tranny will start in 1st, then 2nd, and go no further than 3rd. Same for any gear you choose in M mode. 

I drive in M5 around suburbia where speeds are under 45-50mph to lock out AFM.  M6 and D allows AFM to be active. I do not care for AFM;  so that's why I lock it out while suburbia driving............and use the Range AFM delete for more open road driving.

My tranny seems to like to lock up between 2nd and 3rd gear when accelerating normally.  It'll hang off engaging until later if I put my foot down though.

• Like 1

The wife's 06 Dakota did the same thing with the tow haul button. When it was on it change the shift pattern on the tranny. Up shifted later and down shifted going down a hill to slow the truck, did not have to have your foot on the brake just dd it on its own.. I does sound like yours does a good bit more than that however. Her 00 only had an OD on or off button. The 06 was an improvement.

Edited by dripley

• 3 weeks later...

Put the first sort of "big" trailer load behind her a few days ago.

My retriever club had to move their "training day" to a different location, and I tow the club trailer there.  Twas about 20 miles or so, but a lot of hills.....................and the trailer is 7x16 and runs about 7500lbs.

First off;  I miss the Cummins low end torque, as you need to wind out the gears a lot longer in a gasser to get her going.  Second of all........with the Cummins, I rarely had to downshift..................with gassers (because of their power band) they need to downshift to make power to maintain speed.  Third..........the 1500 handled perfectly.  Airbags in the rear helped for sure.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/6/2018 at 12:38 AM, CTcummins24V said:

@dorkweed how is your range afm deactivater treating you? I’ve got a 2018 now and can actaully use 6th gear with 3.42s but I don’t like v4 mode and like you don’t want any motors issues associated with afm. Seriously considering getting a range. 

Same question. I have no problem putting it in manual and driving in 5th but not being able to keep it on V8 on the highway is a pain. Plus good luck getting my wife to remember do to that every time! ?‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying sooner guys;  I've been out of town for almost 3 weeks.  Illinois to Louisiana to Florida to central Illinois back to northern Illinois.  3500 miles in less than 3 weeks.  Did a work trip to Nashville, TN 4 weeks prior to that towing my work trailer............that was another 1200 miles.  I have just 15% left on the OLM and I just changed the oil about a week before my Nashville trip.

My range AFM delete module has been working flawlessly.  All the above mile were with it.  Averaged about 15mpg running 65mph on the Nashville trip towing.  And 20-22mpg running 70-75mph on the other trip......non-towing.  

I use this handy little switch to keep from having to plug in and then unplug the Range device all the time.  

https://www.amazon.com/Tonsiki-Female-Diagnostic-Extension-battery/dp/B00UR5XBMW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540069486&sr=8-3&keywords=tonsiki+obd+cable

It keeps the Range from draining my battery if I don't use my truck for a few days................very, very rare for me though.  I have read that the newer Range devices don't drain the battery like the older versions as they have a "shut off" in them now.  Anyhow;  the little switch works great................click it on prior to starting the truck, and click it off after shutting the truck down.

Also have 51,0xx miles on this 2016 Silverado in just over 27 months of ownership.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Hey dorkweed! 

I just ordered that switch for my MM3! It’s not an issue in the summer, but if the truck sits a few weeks in the winter I like to unplug it. 

The only problem I've had with that switch is if I try to "ease" it on and off.  Just press it, and let it click solidly/hard vs. trying to baby it.

• Thanks 1