• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trailer connector wiring

Hmmm well this is quite strange. Anyway something else I forgot to add about the install of my new plug. After seeing the condition of the old one

IMG_1246.JPGIMG_1247.JPG

I decided I wanted nothing like that. So, I again removed the plastic from the ring terminals I had and crimped and soldered them to the wire ends. I didn't bother heat shrinking because neither I or the friend who was helping thought it was necessary since the wires really shouldn't get pushed around inside the cup that goes over the back of that and the terminals are all really close to each other anyway. Looking back maybe I should have? Idk, I didn't have much exposed wire, just the length of the crimp area of a ring terminal. I put the wire in so the insulation was almost touching the terminal. Anyway, I also basically packed that area around all the terminals with dielectric grease to prevent any future corrosion. It will be a mess if I ever take it apart, but I hate rust lol. Sorry I should have grabbed some pics but I was in a rush to get done at that point lol just sharing my ideas incase it helps someone else. 

Haha yeah I guess that's what happens to crimp connectors after years of exposure to the elements, even though they are partly cover by the cap for that. I'm really wishing I had heat shrunk the ends of those so they would be insulated as much as the crimp connectors...oh well I guess there's no point messing with it unless i start having issues. If fuses start blowing I'll know what to check first lol

i just left them like this rather than heat shrink that little bit 

IMG_1248.JPG

using the old connector for illustration purposes here

IMG_1249.JPG

the only ones that seems even a little close were the ones by the center 

IMG_1251.JPG

you can kinda tell there, but I just bent them a little so they weren't close. Then packed that entire thing with dielectric grease :-)

IMG_1250.JPG

Edited by leathermaneod

59 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

Well the more I though about it, the more I convinced myself that I needed to take that connector back apart and insulate those ends

before

Hahaha dude you crack me

up! This is why I just solder and heat shrink all my connections  just so I don't worry about it.