• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What to do with old battery cables...keep/sell/scrap?

I replaced all cables on my 98.5 with a set from http://www.custombatterycables.com/ .  Very pleased with how the new ones turned out.  Trying to think of what I should do with my old set.  The terminals are shot, they have lost their clamping power, but I know that can be fixed with new terminals being put on.  Maybe theres a member out there who may need a set.  Only one terminal had a very very minor amount of corrosion which I cleaned off.   

When it comes to scrapping any insulated wire, do you get more if you take the insulation off?  I have never scrapped insulated wire.     

All scrap recyclers take all types of insulated cable its just classed different for pricing. Short chunks of battery cable would be easy to strip but anything over that is not worth the extra couple pennies a pond for the labor involved. I did this with a few hundred pounds of copper wiring I bought at an auction a couple years ago, spent about 8 hours trying to strip some of it and soon realized it was not worth it, took it all to the scrapyard and they confirmed it too and explained the different classes of copper wire. Starters and alternators or electric motors are another story if one can disassemble these into "Clean" copper and aluminum makes a huge difference in price.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I replaced all of the cables on my dodge, and it also solved alot of issues with torque converter lock up.

i would suggest that they may be going bad, and not to reuse them. I know that when i cut my cables that they were starting to rot out from the inside.

I got my replacement from mopar on amazon.

Edited by pepsi71ocean
  • Like 2