• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re tranny problems

So replace the alternator and same thing tranny's doing the same thing 2nd gear hunt the alternator guy took the old one apart and it was not worth rebuilding in real bad shape so he told me that a new one should solve my issues and no luck ?so I checked the ac voltage and I'm getting in the 45 mv at the alternator?does that mean I purchased a bad rebuilt?No sure where to go?Here s pics to show the resultsIMG_1929.JPG.1c196fbd85e778e5ceba7eed0da643c9.JPGIMG_1916.JPG.3aaa15b85c006758ee5fc2011aed2bbf.JPGIMG_1920.JPG.7916ce2ef649095f0cfa7d3ff6ca40bd.JPG

Any info on adjusting the tv cable?Here's pics on the 2 overhaul in 9000 km?

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

When replacing the stock alternator with another stock, sometimes the 'new' one shows up out of what we consider spec but what's considered normal for parts stores to sell. Keep that in mind and let get those lifetime warranty returns goin!

• Like 1

That's a lot of AC voltage, but I'm not 100% sure that's your problem if you're having shuttle shifts. Again, what governor pressure solenoid was used in the build? It looks like a pretty generic "box build", so I would guess they used a stock replacement, if they replaced it at all. This, coupled with installing a "shift kit" (likely a Transgo), can flood a stock solenoid and cause all manner of weird shuttle shifts.

Set the TV cable so that your WOT 1-2 shift occurs at 2800-2900 rpm. If it occurs earlier than that, tighten it. If it occurs later than that, loosen it. Set it to 2800-2900 rpm...done.

I guess beyond these things, I'd need a bit more thorough description of what the symptoms are.

Yes, a well-built 47RE will put up with a whole lot more than just oversized tires with 3.55 gears. Ideally, whenever a tire size is changed, your differential gearing should be changed to match. Pretty much only the most thorough of customers actually do this. But, there's a lot more to being well-built than just a "shift kit" and "HD clutches"...

Stepping off of soap box, before I even get started.........!

• Like 3

I'll check with the Tranny guy for what governor press solenoid he installed for the Tv cable where can I find info on adjusting? Tomorrow I will go for a test drive can I just pull the alternator fuse out easier access than the lead on the alternator.

• Owner
9 hours ago, wagntagn said:

Tomorrow I will go for a test drive can I just pull the alternator fuse out easier access than the lead on the alternator.

Hua? :think: The green and blue wires on the back of the alternator. No tools needs just squeeze the release tab and pull. The alternator fuse you'll need an 8mm socket to remove. 

So pull the fuse out and disconnected the 3 leads on the alternator and same thing so the alternator is ok next is do the tv cable and check what governor pressure solenoid was installed in the rebuilt?If no luck I'll try to find another Tranny shop for advise and double check the overhaul??

What's the procedure to check the output speed sensor?

After the Tranny overhaul even with the 35" you wouldn't think it would slip causing premature wear especially after 9000 kms?I only pull my 18' boat a few miles from home but going slow up the hills I have to leave the tranny in 1st otherwise the Tranny high temp light comes on.On heavy pulls at low speed do these trannys need xtra cooling?

The heavier the load and the longer the torque converter stays unlocked, the hotter the transmission will get. I can't imagine your 18 foot boat weighs that much, but if you're driving really slow twisty roads and the trans is constantly shifting between 1-2gear, never giving the TC a chance to lock, it'll definitely get warmer. IMO that shouldn't get so hot that it's setting off the factory trans high temp light, which I think is something crazy high like 260*! 

A properly built trans and a lockup switch would solve this issue.

Easiest way to check an output speed sensor is to just screw a new one in there. They cost $10, and take 2 minutes to change.

I still think you're chasing a governor pressure solenoid issue. If you don't have a Borg HD in there, put one in...

The TV cable adjustment is not causing your issues, but you do need to verify that the WOT 1-2 shift is at 2800-2900 rpm.

• Owner

TV cable is easy to set according to the FSM books you just need to make sure they move together. So start with excessive slack in the cable and keep tightening till the cable just starts to move together and should move through a full range of movement with the throttle so if the throttle is WOT the throttle valve on the transmission should be wide open as well.