• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

80,000 Miles......No Full Oil Change

dorkweed

Works with... The stock OE filter is a full flow filter and a Motorguard / Frantz is a bypass filter that only filters a small percentage of the oil flow.

IIRC, the MotorGuard and the Frantz divert off about 5% of oil pump flow for the bypass filter. Still even with that small amount of oil, the flow rate threw the TP bypass filter averages about 1 quart per minute of engine running at normal operating temps. The OEM full flow filter flows way more than that............it has to in order to lubricate and cool the engine!!

Another option you can try is a Fleetguard Venturi type oil filter LF9028 or Baldwin 7313. These filters are a full flow lube filter and bypass filter all in one. A friend and I are still working on fitting a Fleetguard CH41102 Centriguard Centrifugal bypass oil filter to our trucks. I think this is the best possible option.

• 1 month later...

For my MotorGuard bypass, I have the oil returned to the pan via the STHB (Self-Tapping Hollow Bolt). According to Ralph Wood (Mr. MotorGuard) the STHB used to be supplied with the Frantz bypass system. Don't know if it still is. I've not heard of it happening on a Cummins engine, but I went with the STHB because I didn't want to risk "misting" the oil via returning it to the valve cover or the cap. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of my return line to the pan.post-7-138698177201_thumb.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]2730[/ATTACH]