• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ATF and 2 stroke in fuel?

3 minutes ago, ffchris said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.  It seems that in all of the independent tests cited  on the forums, biodiesel mixed with regular diesel gives the largest improvement in HFRR scores.  Also the tests cited don't use 2 stroke oil at the 1 oz/gallon ratio.  Biodiesel gives the best improvement and I think would be the least expensive additive.  

The reports I have seen only show 2 stroke mixed at 1/2 oz per gallon. Never saw one that said not to mix it any stronger.

As far as bio diesel, I have run alot over the past couple years with no ill affect to the truck. There is alot out east here. The only thing I dont like is anything 5% or less not having to be labeled. 6% and over has to be labeled with 15% be the most common I see. I dont use any 2 stroke when it is labeled. It is more solvent than straight #2 so I try to mix the higher percentage when I can. Sometimes I just dont.

• 4 months later...

Anybody have any experience with Lucas upper cylinder lubricant & injector cleaner? I have used it in my gas autos for the last 15 years and it lubed my in tank fuel pump and stopped the whine it was making and increased my mileage 1.5 to 2 mpg. I am new to diesels though so am learning.

On 9/17/2016 at 5:26 PM, TFaoro said:

You're correct. The ATF burns horribly and leaves tons of carbon buildup on the tips of the injectors. (maybe valves to, but can't confirm that) Not good for any diesel. 

You're a bit off on your years. There was no EGR or DPF until 07.5, which is when the 6.7 came out. Before then all they had was a cat. 03-04.5 had a slightly different piston and injector design, and slightly less power than the 04.5+ (305 vs 325 for the HO)

2 stroke is fine in all 5.9's at half the ratio we put it in. 0.5oz per gallon.

I wouldn't run it on a truck with a DPF in it though for fear of plugging it faster and causing it to regen more often. 

I knew two stroke oil was good but we're saying atf is bad. I know people that have been running it for years. I mean a little ate on your hand the stuff is oily as hell and doesn't come off real easy. I guess I can't see it hurting or causing carbon buildup 

• Owner

Here is what ATF will do...

dirty-inj.jpg

ashed-injectors.jpg

Now 80k miles of 2 cycle oil...

injector-80k.jpg

Now tell me that ATF is a good thing to put in the fuel... :whistle: ATF is high in ash content, high in anti-scorching compounds (which retards burning or ignition quality), friction modifier which is not exactly good for injection systems. Now 2 cycle oil is just oil. It contains no ash so deposits will occur. No friction modifers, no anti-scorching compounds. Again just oil that is design to completely. burn. ATF is not designed to burn at all. 

• Like 3