• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ATF in fuel

So a bunch of guys on 208 coal rollers Facebook page here in Idaho is pretty much calling me dumb for saying putting ATF in your fuel is dumb, I just don't seem to see any benefits to putting all those friction modifiers in my fuel and putting it through my vp44

I asked that question when I first got into diesel and found this forum.  The old timers I know used to use trans fluid in their gas every now and then to help lube and clean.  With what I've learned here it makes a lot more sense to use 2 cycle in our trucks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dripley said:

I personally would not use it myself but for the crowd that believes in it I dont think you will convince other wise.

Yeah I couldn't even try to convince them, I found my truck loves stanadyne but I've been tempted to try the 2 stoke oil. What's the best to get?

Edited by Jbolduc

TCW3. i get mine at Wally world. Super tech brand. it is the cheapest I have found. opti lube is a good alternative from what I hear. Bio diesel is also good. I do use a good bit of bio myself and my truck likes it. Been using for a couple of years with no issues. The only bad thing about the bio is if it is mixed at a 5% or less rate the pump does not have to be labeled so if you dont ask you dont know. Some of the folks you ask just look at you real funny and dont have a clue. in that case I still put some 2 stroke in any way. It is very beneficial. Google TCW3 and you can read up on it. Lots of different brands of it. The Super Tech is the cheapest and easy to find. At least thru my travels.

• Like 1

• Staff

I've been using West Marine brand 2 cycle when they have a sale. Other times I use Pennzoil brand. All seem real good.

Good to use two stroke TCW3 since our trucks were built for the lower score value, higher lubricity Diesel.

• Like 1

2 stroke can gunk up injectors too if you don't tow/burn hot and long enough.  I only had a couple thousand miles on this second set of injectors and only did short trips in the summer, no towing and they were gunked up. 

First set of injectors was my daily driver and towing for 15,000 miles and 2 stroke and they were fine when pulled. 

• Like 1

Aside from the obvious point that todays ATF is not the same as yesteryear's ATF.....

ATF is designed to not burn very easily with a flash point of around 400*, containing all kinds of additives and detergents too which act like liquid sandpaper to fuel system components.

On the other side of the coin, 2-stroke typically has a flash point of around half of what ATF does, 200* give or take.  And its sole purpose is to become a "total lose" during combustion.

Old timers usually will use what they've used and do what they've done for years, and are generally clueless to the advancements of the internal combustion engine and lubricants.  Not that thats a bad thing either..... :thumbup2:

• Like 1

like whats been stated above, what worked 30 years ago may not be efficient with today's lubricants.

I worked with an old time trucker that retired about the time I was starting about 25 tears ago, and he taught me one of his tricks of pre-filling both primary and secondary fuel filters with hyd, oil at every service interval, Now,  the hyd. oil and even atf was a lot more pure back then, but even today I continue to do it religiously just because I feel that it gives injectors and o rings the little extra lube, and it is an older non emissions engine and being a semi truck it does get pushed hot and heavy, and with about 500k I haven't lost an injector yet.

I don't think I would attempt that with my 2nd. gen, I think the big engines are more tolerant than these fine tuned and close tolerance fuel systems. I do believe that they need the extra lubrication for obvious reasons, I started using stanadyne when I replaced vp 6 years ago, but got to expensive and switched to 2 stroke TCW 3, and about a year ago started to use the marine 2 stroke synthetic blend just because I liked the way it quieted the vp down. Does it do any good? I really don't know, but got about 300k on the original injectors and haven't lost one yet, and I don't putt putt around in it either.

• 1 month later...
  • Owner

Highly suggest against using motor oil or ATF for any kind of fuel additive because of the high ash content. I advise replacing the ATF and motor oil with 2 cycle oil. As for power service that is cetane booster and 2 cycle oil is gets a reducer. So mixing is just neutralizing effect. Highly suggest against mixing products together because of possible negative effects.

If you want to keep your system clean use better filters. As for cleaning you injectors you have to full disassemble each one and clean by hand. There is not a product that can clean a injector.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Highly suggest against using motor oil or ATF for any kind of fuel additive because of the high ash content. I advise replacing the ATF and motor oil with 2 cycle oil. As for power service that is cetane booster and 2 cycle oil is gets a reducer. So mixing is just neutralizing effect. Highly suggest against mixing products together because of possible negative effects.

If you want to keep your system clean use better filters. As for cleaning you injectors you have to full disassemble each one and clean by hand. There is not a product that can clean a injector.

Also don't forget to work your truck hard once in awhile.  A Trailer and a few mile long hill to get EGTS above 1000* for a while, easy for us guys in the mountains, not so much for the flat landers.  

But really I am a firm believer in a car or truck needing to be worked hard to stay running well.  Run it hard on a semi regular basis.

• Like 3

170k on this pump. 95% if t with TCW3 from wally world and have had no issues. The injectors have 130k no issues with them either. I do get to load the truck up and put some 1000* runs on it a few times a year to help burn the carbon off. As far as the study you link, I have seen it and others stating different. i have seen to many others with more miles than I have still going strong.  As long as I am trouble free I will keep putting the 2 stroke to it. 

Unicorn piss has me:think:. Where can you buy it or do you have to retrieve it yourself?

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Unicorn piss has me:think:. Where can you buy it or do you have to retrieve it yourself?

Probably only found at Fantasy-land Island on the south side of BS mountain where glitter ridge meets the outer edge of center earth on the eve of a crest blue moon when Uranus aligns with..........oh dam this is stupid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Don't worry I will put together an article for it haha,  it can get a little messy but worth it.

I cant wait.

3 hours ago, KATOOM said:

Probably only found at Fantasy-land Island on the south side of BS mountain where glitter ridge meets the outer edge of center earth on the eve of a crest blue moon when Uranus aligns with..........oh dam this is stupid.

Man you were on a roll there then BAM reality hit.

• Like 1