• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P1689 - 1999 Ram 2500 - Idle @ 800rpm & start easy- touch pedal rpm jumps to 1400????

• Owner
10 hours ago, balesray said:

Don't know anyone that even owns a diesel truck.  Live out in the sticks and don't get around much.  Especially now that that dumb truck is giving me a fit.  Thanks for the help.

Like I said ask the members here I'm sure someone would be nice enough to help you out. If I lived closer I'd be on your door step to help out. I've done plenty of VP44 swaps. Like my last two job I've had @hex0rz show up at my place to have injectors swapped out and then gone over to Walla Walla, WA to @Taz place to do a clutch for him. So like I said ask around I'm sure someone would help you out.

GUESS WHAT!!!!   Charged the batteries a couple hours each disconnected, hooked them back, engine cranked over half dozen time and kicked right off.  GUESS AGAIN!!!! Truck is now running like it should so problem was the VP44 and thank goodness.  Think I'll get a job working on diesel trucks now. 

Thanks ever so much for the info you and everyone else has provided cause I really needed it..

• Like 2

It is still very satisfying to hear that Cummins fire off after a repair. Always makes me think I can do anything. Felt that way the other day when I changed my fuel filters and sucked a big air bubble in there. Glad you got your problem fixed. 

Don't know if anyone wants to know just how much was spent, not counting my time, on this project but could possible save some time and expense so here goes.  I took the route of do the easiest and cheapest first.  Fuel Filter ($13.46),  Fuel pump ($98.68), APPS which was returned and restock fee was $9.80 plus $3.02 shipping, ECM also returned after restock fee of $167.25 plus $12.00 shipping, VP44 cost and used $975.  Truck had a code of P1689 and the trouble was that VP44 and nothing else. 

I thank everyone for their help and could not have done this without it.  THANKS

Also bought a code reader (Bosch) that cost $109.  Anyone want to kick in and help pay for all these mistakes????