• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla V2 Custom Tunes

Me78569

I actually like to taper off growth up top.  This makes the curve a little smoother, while still allowing full duration.  There really isn't a huge need to go above %120 on a daily tune.  Duration will still max at WOT, but you wont get a super aggressive curve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long answer

If you look at OEM fueling at WOT you will find that the canbus command will reach ~3600 at ~2200 rpm then it starts to fall off up top.  

stock.PNG

You will also note that at says %70 throttle canbus message will come up to ~3400 at 2200 rpm, then fall off quickly.  

So you really only need %114 of stock to hit that 4095, peak duration, at 2200 rpm but as oem fueling falls off you might want to hold it at max duration longer.   This is why you use a higher %,  say %130 up top will hold max fueling longer at a lower TPS input.  

Same goes for down low, maybe you want a more aggressive fueling curve with less tps input.   

Short Answer

using higher than %120 allows the user to max fueling across a wider rpm band and broader TPS range

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will have to defer to @Me78569 's knowledge, but from what I understand, the 120% will max out at full throttle and high boost. It will max out the maximum code from the ECM. There is a 10-bit variable that is set by the ECM to the VP44 to control the fueling. The maximum value that this 10-bit variable will hold is 4095. This is a hard limit the electronics impose on the amount of fueling the VP44 will give. This is the limitation for "CAN bus fueling" that all programmers and any plug and play module that does not tap the VP44 will have. The maximum CAN bus fueling message a stock ECU will send out is about 3600. 

4095/3600 = 113.75%. If you set your max fueling at 113.75% you will eventually max out the fueling message to the VP44

It is very possible that in other situations, such as lower boost and lower RPM that a 150% fueling message will fuel much harder than a 120% fueling message. If you have enough air and have a higher fueling percentage than 120% and you aren't roaling coal then your truck can handle that higher fueling message before the ECU would normally max out and you can effectively use a CAN bus fueling percentage above 120%.

There are plenty of stock-ish trucks out there that need to have a higher than 120% fueling message in order to get the max power out and still be clean. 

Not sure if this is the right place to post but lately I have been losing connection with iquad quite often... Sometimes it seems like I hit a bump and it happens others are just random.. Connections and wires are good and clean and dry! Any ideas? 

Do we know for a fact that the vp44 spits out more fuel when you send it command rates above 3600? We know the message will goto the vp44 computer, but do we understand what exactly it does with that msg/numerical command? In my mind I'm picturing beakers and cc'ing each injector line.

Thanks for the answers. I liked all 3; short, long &  vendor's.

Edited by rogerash0

Yep we know it fuels more.  this is how that "65 hp " limit comes about.  Stock will command 3600 as a fueling command, but we are able to command up to 4095, which on a stock truck at ~3k rpm is ~65 more hp.  

what the psg on the vp44 does is convert that 0-4095 message into a 0-100% of duration on the fueling solenoid.  

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I've been lurking for a while. Can someone help me understand tps min and max for wiretap? I'm trying to create a tune similar to edge comp on 5x5 wiretap. I like that the quad keeps out smoke, but I'm wanting full wiretap really early, after 5 psi or so, prefer to control the rest with throttle. Any advice is greatly appreciated.  

pump min is at what point you want wiretap to start.

So if you have min wiretap at %20 then you wont get any wiretap until %20 tps is reached.  the more you increase min wiretap and decrease max wiretap the more compressed the wiretap fueling curve will be.  I normally suggest using 0 for min and 100 for max so you have a smoother wiretap fueling curve.  there are better ways to make wiretap more aggressive.

If you want ot control what tps wiretap comes on you set the Pump low boost scale psi.   This setting tells the quadzilla what PSI to allow wiretap to happen.     If you leave this at 0 psi then you will get wiretap at 0 psi, if your min tps setting is lower than your current TPS input.  

If you want even more wiretap you can set the min pump tap fueling Perc.  this setting tells the quadzilla "at WOT give me no less than XX% of wiretap"  

You say you want full wiretap really earyly, but I have to ask why? 

HOWEVER please consider that an overfueled truck is no faster than a properly tuned truck.  I have run MANY tests with good tunes and overfueled tunes, they both datalog nearly identical 0-60 times.  Your injectors are too big to really be needing a 5 x 5 tune, all you are doing is making smoke without additional power.  Please remember the butt dyno is a liar, it only tells you if torque changes, not how much.

Here's one of the logs I have taken  note the blue columns and green columns.  blue = overfueled tune, green is my daily tune   They both reach 60  mph at nearly the same point.  

overfueled vs Tuned.PNG

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I'll try your suggestions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bring smoke, that's the whole reason I bought the quad when I went to bigger injectors. The edge was smokey with 50hp injectors if I didn't control with skinny pedal. I guess I'm trying to limit the parameters that will be dynamic so that I can better understand how the quad behaves. I want to get a tune that I like, with no timing modifications and minimize variables, then start bringing different control options back in play, one at a time. It's one thing to read about low boost timing drop, but if I know that's the only thing I'm allowing to change I'll be better able to learn what that sounds like and feels like so I'll be able to tell when something is wrong. Does that make sense? I need to relearn the truck so I can better troubleshoot and diagnose potential and future problems. Thank you again. 

@SGTmurph   no worries.  Given that you have 6 x .013's I would not be that concerned about low end wiretap.  Tune your canbus fueling to handle the 0-30 area of the map.  It works much better, then use wiretap above that to extend fueling.    Keep in mind that %75 of your overall fueling comes from canbus and %25 comes from wiretap.   You should be able to use canbus alone to fuel as hard as you want.   

I would start with some of the tunes I have created for big injector trucks and go from there.

Edited by Me78569
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I put mine where the original pulse monitor used to be and got s6 just for the truck works well, ran charging cord inside the pillar and made a small bracket from old licence plate that attaches phone Holder to the pillar. 20180321_191030.jpg.dd363cbb06fbdd8efa6c442f4ac39ae3.jpg

Edited by Dieselfuture

3 minutes ago, KBecker443 said:

Youngblood24v What radio are you looking at to do that with?! That is a GENIUS idea idk why i didn't think of that, my iPhone7plus is a little big as well.

I can’t claim that as my idea. Someone on here already has it on their double din touchscreen. I’m on the android platform so I got to look for a radio that can run android apps. You’d need one for Apple. My tablet won’t hold a charge for over 1 minute from the cold now so I figured the radio would be awesome but it’s most likely gunna be $$ to get a good quality flip out Bluetooth touchscreen one ??

23 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

please remember you need to jump through hoops to get the iquad app on the radio and you often have issues with data logging import / export.

There wasn't many hoops for me, it connected fine once I installed xposedMTC to change the expected OBD2 bluetooth name to quad. The only exception is, like you said, data logs don't export. I still haven't found out why, but I haven't dug in too far either. That's the only thing, but I just use my smartphone when I want to datalog. It's only the iquad app. All other apps I've used work great. Some day we'll figure that out.

Also when I upgrade to Android version 5, the app won't connect to Bluetooth. And again, only the iquad app is affected, all other apps and Bluetooth devices work fine. With the factory OS it connects.

I wouldn't want to run the quad any other way. No extra devices or junk hanging from dash, window, etc.

Edited by kzimmer