• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla V2 Custom Tunes

Me78569

I've never had sac injectors so I can't say much, but from what I understand they are dirty. Your truck definitely got some haze, almost looks white. If it happened after changing injectors then that may be the problem. Who did you get it from and what pop pressure are they set at.

I just installed a set of 7x10 vco from dap set at 320bar and I have zero haze and very little smoke on start up. Was there a reason for sac vs vco. 

Well I recently changed from 265/70/17 tires to 285/70/17 and my fuel mileage sucks now. I swapped gears from the stock 3.54 to some 4.10's and my cruising RPM's are actually higher than before. At 74 mph I'm right at 1960 RPM's, 24% load, and 9psi boost. I do like my level 5 and use that for my dd tune but I'm not using the custom tuning yet...I guess I'm fixing to learn how. My question is two parts: @Me78569 the custom flash you built for my truck to read the trans range off of the data bus, which vehicle do I select in the "select vehicle" menu? The engine is a 2002 non HO. I've read a couple times where you told guys their mileage could be adversely affected by having the wrong vehicle selected.

And secondly, is it possible to build a tune that has plenty of power under acceleration but is easier on the wallet under steady rpm and tps?

Fortunately I don't currently pay for my own fuel but I just don't believe in wasting. I would be surprised if I'm doing better than 12 mpg right now and it's 80-90% highway miles. Can someone suggest a base tune for me that won't be disappointing between stoplights or between fuel ups? Engine is mechanically stock, externals include FASS150, 5 inch exhaust no muffler or cat, quad of course.

7 hours ago, Scottfunk said:

And secondly, is it possible to build a tune that has plenty of power under acceleration but is easier on the wallet under steady rpm and tps?

Yes but it does take some tinkering. Look through tunes posted above and try a couple, then fine tune from there. 

I have 285/70/17 3.55 and on hwy I average 18-20 depending on speed. I just put a set of 7x10 vco injectors in and seem that I can get better milage but haven't put enough miles on yet to know. Something isn't right if you're only getting 12mpg.

10 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I've never had sac injectors so I can't say much, but from what I understand they are dirty. Your truck definitely got some haze, almost looks white. If it happened after changing injectors then that may be the problem. Who did you get it from and what pop pressure are they set at.

I just installed a set of 7x10 vco from dap set at 320bar and I have zero haze and very little smoke on start up. Was there a reason for sac vs vco. 

I decided on the sac because they were suppose be better at atomization of fuel and they are whatever stock pop pressure is. 

10 hours ago, Scottfunk said:

Well I recently changed from 265/70/17 tires to 285/70/17 and my fuel mileage sucks now. I swapped gears from the stock 3.54 to some 4.10's and my cruising RPM's are actually higher than before. At 74 mph I'm right at 1960 RPM's, 24% load, and 9psi boost. I do like my level 5 and use that for my dd tune but I'm not using the custom tuning yet...I guess I'm fixing to learn how. My question is two parts: @Me78569 the custom flash you built for my truck to read the trans range off of the data bus, which vehicle do I select in the "select vehicle" menu? The engine is a 2002 non HO. I've read a couple times where you told guys their mileage could be adversely affected by having the wrong vehicle selected.

Fortunately I don't currently pay for my own fuel but I just don't believe in wasting. I would be surprised if I'm doing better than 12 mpg right now and it's 80-90% highway miles. Can someone suggest a base tune for me that won't be disappointing between stoplights or between fuel ups? Engine is mechanically stock, externals include FASS150, 5 inch exhaust no muffler or cat, quad of course.

been awhile, but you should just use the dodge 98-02 v2 profile.   I think I piped the trans stuff into the place where the normal sensors go. 

As for MPG I have not found any difference in mpg when it comes to how aggressive your fuelig is.  It only take XXX fuel to move down the road so you might have an aggressive tune, but you are not on the throttle as much.   

My guess is your new tires are a lot heavier than the old.   I went to some mud tires at one point from an AT tire and lost ~3 mpg.  Same size tire, but they were alot heavier.   

If timing is at ~19-20* at highway speeds you should be getting about hte best mpg you can hope for with the current setup.

• Owner
7 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

My guess is your new tires are a lot heavier than the old.   I went to some mud tires at one point from an AT tire and lost ~3 mpg.  Same size tire, but they were alot heavier.

As I went down on the 1996 Dodge from 235's to 215's. My next move is dropping from 235's on the Cummins to 245's.

10 hours ago, Scottfunk said:

Well I recently changed from 265/70/17 tires to 285/70/17 and my fuel mileage sucks now.

When you go from 265's to 285's your lower your gear ratio adding strain to the driveline or trapping the torque in the driveline. If you want MPG number you have to go smaller. Looking cool cost money in the reduction of MPG's. If you got 3.55 ratio in the axle you basically made your final ratio 3.43 to the ground. If you got to 245/70 R17 your ratio would be 3.68 to the grounds. High ratio is better for getting the torque out to the ground. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

When you go from 265's to 285's your lower your gear ratio adding strain to the driveline or trapping the torque in the driveline. If you want MPG number you have to go smaller. Looking cool cost money in the reduction of MPG's. If you got 3.55 ratio in the axle you basically made your final ratio 3.43 to the ground. If you got to 245/70 R17 your ratio would be 3.68 to the grounds. High ratio is better for getting the torque out to the ground. 

That's why I went with the 4.10 gearing. I actually have higher cruising RPM's now. I wouldn't have thought 2cm wider would add that much weight but who knows. Sounds like I need to play around with the timing and see what I can come up with. If I ever have to start paying for my own gas I may have to find something smaller to drive. That'll break my heart!

1 minute ago, Scottfunk said:

I did some digging and according to nada your dodge ram trucks are around 6000lbs. By my calculations my Chummy is close to 8000lbs. Is that enough to make a significant difference?

I was 7250lbs across the scale with a half tank and the toolbox. 

2 hours ago, Scottfunk said:

I wouldn't have thought 2cm wider would add that much weight but who knows.

Rotational mass is going to have a much greater effect than static wieght.  You did go 2 cm wider, but also an inch taller because you kept the same sidewall ratio.  so your rotational mass grew exponentially, and as you can see, has dropped your mileage more.

Edited by trreed

So i have a new issue didn't know if i should post here or start thread.. 

I am having trouble getting tunes to load into quad. I have to "activate the profile" about 6 timea for it to fully take.. seems like it only loads a few parameters each time until it finally starts to run a little more normal each time... Started couple months ago progressively seems to be getting worse...

• Owner
On 8/25/2018 at 6:24 PM, Scottfunk said:

My truck runs amazing on level 5 with default tune

0 = Stock ECM

1 = Valet Mode

2 = Zero to 100% CANBus fuel

3 = Full CANBus

4 through 11...

Depending on the tune set up this just divides the wiretap up. So if the default tune is set with 15 levels then that means each level 4 and up is 10% of the wiretap. Like I'm running 8 levels. So each level in my tune is just 25% of wiretap each step.