• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla V2 Custom Tunes

Me78569

i know its been talked about, but i cant remember where abouts, if at all ITT it was. what is the cause of surging at low rpm in OD? if im 50-55MPH in OD the trucks surges like crazy. above 55 its fine. under 50 the tq converter unlocks and is fine again

@Me78569 so on my way into work this morning, I tried as best as I could to pay attention to the monitor. Cruising at 70 mph I was anywhere between 650-800 egt’s. 18%-26% engine load. 19.30*-20.17* of timing. I thought according to the tuning guide for 70 mph that 19* of timing was the best for mpg 

9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Double check the RPM range it does surging problem exist at. I'm curious.

it would be around 1400-1500 rpm. as soon as the tq conv locks up it will start to surge if im at low rpm 50-55 mph. im pretty sure ive seen in this thread that thats contributed to a certain setting on the quad. and it never did it before the quad either

• Owner

Dang, mine is lower around the 1,200 RPM mark I was wondering if it was a Quadzilla issue or something else. Right near 1,200 it start bucking on light throttle right around the 25 to 30 MPH speed range. I would say change up the timing more retard at the 1,500 and see if it helps or not. I'm going to bet not.

14 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Dang, mine is lower around the 1,200 RPM mark I was wondering if it was a Quadzilla issue or something else. Right near 1,200 it start bucking on light throttle right around the 25 to 30 MPH speed range. I would say change up the timing more retard at the 1,500 and see if it helps or not. I'm going to bet not.

ill have to double check rpm. it was just a guess, but it only does it in OD when the converter locks. no other gears and not when its unlocked. i had this same setup without the quad and it never did it, as soon as i got the quad it started

• Like 1

• Owner

Just thinking of it... Might have to bring the cruise timing load value down. Might be hanging on the cruise timing too long or too high of engine load percentage. Then take your load based timing and increase it. This will give more retard to the timing when you fall out of the cruise timing state getting the turbo spooled back up. 

On 4/5/2019 at 11:24 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm using Libre Office which comes with Ubuntu Linux 18.04. No longer a fan of Microsoft products. :linux:

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Light throttle timing should be based on your flat highway running at a MAX of 65 MPH. Take note of the engine load you want to add maybe 1-2% more than your flat highway engine load. Anything below 65 MPH should hit the cruise timing. Don't attempt to set for speeds higher this will lower MPG number. Anything above 65 MPH should be on the performance timing, not cruise timing. My typical engine load at 65 MPH is 20% I've set my last tune for 22%. 55 cruise load is 15% to 17% which is awesome and can easily keep the cruise state for speeds less than 65 MPH. Idle engine load is about 11% to 12% only 5% more than idle to keep rolling at 55 MPH I've noted instant MPG at about 24 to 26 MPG.

Not trying to but in but I have read this like 6 times and I want to make sure I understand. Light throttle timing advance should be 1 or 2 degrees higher than my engine load at 65 mph? And I need to set my light throttle load limit needs to be a little higher than my engine load while maintaining 65?  I have a slight knock as well which goes away with the quad turned off. Too much timing or to little? Yea I know I need new injectors that would help. 

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Unreal Summit said:

Light throttle timing advance should be 1 or 2 degrees higher than my engine load at 65 mph?

Should hit about 19 to 20 degrees typically at 2k RPM while in cruise timing.

5 minutes ago, Unreal Summit said:

And I need to set my light throttle load limit needs to be a little higher than my engine load while maintaining 65?

Flat ground cruise set at 65 MPH set your cruise load limit maybe 1 to 2% higher than your current cruise engine load. 

6 minutes ago, Unreal Summit said:

I have a slight knock as well which goes away with the quad turned off. Too much timing or to little?

Slight rattle is normal but it should drop out when you pass your load limit. Timing should retard.

Got ya I am at about 19. Something degrees at 70mph I'll look at my engine load at a cruise tmw. Maybe I can get a few more mpg so I can save for new injectors. If I have a rattle even after dropping out of cruise state what should I do?  Timing reduct is at 2*

Timing reduct only comes into play at high throttle low boost, that's meant to retard timing at a rapid rate if you put your foot down.  

Max Load Timing Offset is what defines how much below the timing curve to go.  
As load increases to %100 max load decreases to 0* to match your curve defined timing.  

A little bit of knock isn't bad.  However you want to see timing drop to 14-16* of timing when you try to pass someone without too much throttle at 65 mph then if you mat it you should see timing drop even more if boost is low.

I would datalog a light throttle situtation at 65, then an easy passing situtation, then a matted situtation.  You will be able to see where timing drops to and adjust your setting better from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1