NightHawk

Smarty S03: Tuning & Testing of Can-bus Fueling

Me78569    1,897
Me78569

I am interested in your comparison.   The ts makes some pretty wild claims on power.  Is the fueling curve as aggressive as the smarty?

jlbayes    242
jlbayes
1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

I am interested in your comparison.   The ts makes some pretty wild claims on power.  Is the fueling curve as aggressive as the smarty?

The timing curve seemed to be as aggressive on mine. 7psi and come on like a mofo

• Like 1

BBHD    118
BBHD
12 hours ago, jlbayes said:

The timing curve seemed to be as aggressive on mine. 7psi and come on like a mofo

Totally agree. Mine comes on at 6-7psi. I'd be curious to see a data log of the TSMvp...hopefully when I get my Quad hooked up @Me78569 can give me guidance on how to data log the MVP like he did with the Smarty if it's possible?

Me78569    1,897
Me78569

I honestly have no idea if it's possible to datalog another canbus tuner.  

I kinda think it's not possible because the quadzilla will read whatevers on the network at a give point.

• Like 1

jlbayes    242
jlbayes

Wouldn't you just need a splitter for the data link?

Me78569    1,897
Me78569

In theory that should work.  I don't know if the quadzilla would read the ECM output or the ts output.

jlbayes    242
jlbayes

One way to find out. :D

jag    6
jag

I got all the testing I need to do.

pepsi71ocean thanks for pointing in the right direction. I am now sw-7/ timing- 3/ torque- 3/ duration- default or 2.

& yes I got it all the way to the floor, 100% WOT. So much fun I broke my TV cable. Totally different truck to drive.

Add a little TST & ya man, lots for me!

DCP_0016.JPG

pepsi71ocean    30
pepsi71ocean
On 3/31/2017 at 0:35 PM, j98 said:

I can definitely try this sometime. I was just experimenting. The issue was that I had a j-hook (my own style) on the turbo, which was causing the boost to soar with the cruise set. It seemed before that the higher SW tune I set, the worse the surging would get. The cruise worked awesome on the SW1 with default settings. I will definitely be messing around in the future with Revo settings. Obviously the  SW wi/ Catcher is going to apply a difference, eg. throttle sensitivity, regardless of how you set the Revo settings. 

I changed my TQ/T/D on SW4 to the lowest possible settings to see if the surge would go away. 

I was simply taking advantage of a long trip to find the many different settings available with the Smarty:woot:

I had the same issue, and i have a HX35. However revo does change the surging issues. I've been surging free on cruise control since the latest flash i did. i mean to pull it up on the truck but i am running SW7.

v7l1sIQ.jpg

I will do this when i get back on Wednesday, last week was a rush job to get it in running condition so i didn't have much time to play around.

On 4/17/2017 at 3:37 AM, jag said:

pepsi71ocean thanks for pointing in the right direction. I am now sw-7/ timing- 3/ torque- 3/ duration- default or 2.

& yes I got it all the way to the floor, 100% WOT. So much fun I broke my TV cable. Totally different truck to drive.

Add a little TST & ya man, lots for me!

DCP_0016.JPG

What tuner program is that? and how accurte do you think that the ap is for HP and torque readings?

Have you gotten your surging issues leveled out.

Edited by pepsi71ocean

pepsi71ocean    30
pepsi71ocean
On 4/13/2017 at 9:45 AM, Me78569 said:

In theory that should work.  I don't know if the quadzilla would read the ECM output or the ts output.

On 4/17/2017 at 3:37 AM, jag said:

On 3/27/2017 at 3:36 PM, jag said:

I have had my truck fooled since last October.

On 3/28/2017 at 0:16 PM, j98 said:

I did a 268.7 mile road trip yesterday

I finaly pulled my smarrty settings SW7, Torque 3, Timing 3 Duration 2. I have a photo of the list of settings I've tried.

CZAVV9G.jpg

NuaEcPi.jpg

Not sure if it is too late on this topic or not, but i figured i would also upload my notes with each revo setting i changed.

• Like 1

Me78569    1,897
Me78569

I got around to trying to emulate the smarty SW settings on the Quadzilla.  

To match sw 9 you have to set canbus fueling to %150 of stock across the board.  by %30 tps canbus is maxed out and you get the results in terms of power and smoke offidle.  

Timing settings are as follows

1500: 17*

2000: 20*

2500: 22*

3000: 24*

3500: 25*

Fuel load timing: 1*

Timing reduction: 0*

edge.PNG

quad.PNG

Edited by Me78569

NightHawk    55
NightHawk

Hi All,

Well to kick this back up to the top for a tad, I have now removed the TS MVP and switched back to the smarty because of the tire size adjustment feature since I am larger then stock.  I also have removed the BHAF (back to stock airbox) and j-hook/turn buckle off the turbo to get it close to stock as possible.  Now the biggest difference I think on my truck now is the fact that the PCM is happy (no codes/issues) so now I get the full force of what the smarty tuning puts out.

My results of SW3 is = Holy smoke show, I am so baffled about the amount of smoke output compared to before when I had all of the mods/upset PCM.  I have to try my best to keep it clean, I mean any misstep in the throttle and bam it sends out a little signal out the tailpipe.

I will be doing more testing as this can't be considered satisfactory by myself or anyone else for that matter.

Edited by NightHawk

NightHawk    55
NightHawk

Okay so step back into this, the following conditions below is where I experienced output of smoke more then just a haze and I will be working to correct.  Most is related to low boost which maybe hard to correct and this smoke is not like night sky black but clearly visible which is total bs as I am not part of that crowd unless under competition situations where max power is needed.

1. Leaving easy from a stop (2nd gear start) it will spout upon engine loading/take-off and immediately clear.  This is really annoying and makes it seem like I am trying to do it.

2. A throttle roll transition when already in gear, like cruising in 4th will stream for 5-8 ft at sub 5psi boost.  This is key as I am not trying to race everywhere and get caught between gears.

3. A short shift 2-3 or 3-4 at low boost will just stream like no other (10-25ft).  Happens in traffic where speed is inconsistent and must be wary of other drivers darting in/out.

4. A 25-100% throttle roll will steam 10-20ft (3rd gear) and then upon grabbing 4th will spray hard until boost comes back to 10+ psi.  This was on the freeway on ramps when trying to re-merge with traffic and maybe I need a few more rpms but like to shift around 2k.

Mopar1973Man    3,659
Mopar1973Man

Sorry to say this a limitation of the Smarty that lots of people fight with because of the lack of boost to fuel control. In other words you have now way of setting max fuel amount for low boost pressure area. So the low boost is fueling too much. 

Here soon I'll be playing with the Smarty UDC for test a few things for the Linux crowd and VirtualBox users. I know UDC is a different story vs. Smarty S-03 because of it ability to tune fuel to boost like I mention and the timing map as well.

jlbayes    242
jlbayes

I wonder with the j-hook gone if it is just blowing the gate open right away.

• Like 1

Mopar1973Man    3,659
Mopar1973Man
3 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

I wonder with the j-hook gone if it is just blowing the gate open right away.

Good bet it is... Need to ditch the HY35 and at least get HX35 would help a bunch. 

• Like 1

jlbayes    242
jlbayes

Or put the jhook back on to confirm my suspicion.