• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

oil's a little low

IBMobile

• Staff

Just replaced a lady's engine in her 08 Nissan Sentra.  It's a 2liter engine and takes 4qt of oil. when I drained the engine about < ¾ of a quart came out.  She said she never saw the low oil pressure light come on.  I guess that #4 rod going through the side of the block woke her up.  Oh well.

DSCN9751.JPG

DSCN9757.JPG

DSCN9755.JPG

If she was anything like my wife I comprehend. She knows how to check it and put it in but does not like opening the hood I guess. i always check it when I am home. It is a 98 Saturn with a DOC 4 cylinder and it leaks a little.

She did the same thing to a VW bus decades ago. The rods stayed in but there was a pile of piston dust at the little oil screen. Motor seized.

Edited by dripley

• Owner

I just had this same conversation with a shop in Riggins, ID. I guess there is a gal driving a Dodge gasser truck and see ran it down to less than a quart in the crankcase but the oil light or gauge never dropped at all. The shop keeps warning her to check the oil more often or just stop by and let the guys check it for her. This is her 3 time of running this low. She is running on borrowed time. 

one time I bought a 96 Nissan sentra with 180k for two hundred bucks I mainly need a few parts off of it and didn't want to pay the $800 he was asking but I figured for 800 hunted I could fix it up and make few hundred bucks and the reason I got it for 200 is when I got there the guy said it doesn't start now and that the starter is bad but when I open the hood I noticed a rod from number 4 cylinder sticking out of block a piece of block was still laying on the radiator support, once I showed  that to him and offered him 200 scrap price he didn't argue I think he knew it all along 

• Staff
19 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

when I got there the guy said it doesn't start now and that the starter is bad 

I've had that happen a few times.  Person says "all the lights on the dash came on and then the car died.  The starter now just goes click".  I turn the key and hear click, test the battery, ok.  I  check a few other thing like oil level, nothing on the dip stick, and does crank pulley turn, no. 

"I think your engine is seized because there is no oil in it"

"Can't be, I just had it changed yesterday".

I look under the car and see fresh oil coating along the bottom.  The oil is coming from the oil filter housing.  I remove the housing and fin the sealing O-ring is not in the grove for it but jammed against the stop.  

"You better call the people who did your oil change".  

• Like 1