• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

G56 rattles horribly after switching to a dual disk clutch and SMF

Rogan

Good morning, all, and hello old friends :)

2008 2500 with G56 trans.  Changed to a SMF and DD clutch.  After doing so, I get horrid "gear rollover" in neutral, as well as in gears.  

In neutral, no clutch depressed, it's quite noisy.  If I slightly push the shift lever towards a gear, it immediately goes quiet.  Does this at all gear positions.  If I let the shifter rest, it's quite noisy again..  Anyone experienced this?   I mean, I understand there'll be 'gear rollover' when going from DMFW to SMFW, as the vibration transmitted is increased a little, but this is nuts..

Thanks.

• Owner

Nice to see you back @Rogan

Something isn't right. I just done a dual mass to single mass flywheel on a 2006 Dodge and just a standard single disc clutch works very well and no noise at all. All I think of is the added mass of the dual disc clutch is causing the problems. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Thanks, Mike.   A lot has changed here, that's for sure...

Well, the 06 would've had a NV5600, correct?  The G56 is a different creature, but the principles are the same.  I've read where 'gear rollover' noise increase is common in the G56, but this is nuts.  Everything works fine, shifts fine, engagement is fine..  Just this horrible rollover.  And like I said, slightly adding pressure to a shift-gate stops all of it.   I know the G56 has brass or bronze fork pads, rather than Delrin or the likes..  I'r afraid I may end up going inside the G56 before too long..  :mad:

I've been googling and found that A LOT of people have complained about this.  Seems no one has found a 'fix' for it.  $60+/gal fluid is a common theme, so I tried it..  Absolutely no real change.  Maybe a decibel or two  in reduction, but nothing all "OMG this is so much better" that such a costly fluid should bring to the table..

The removing of any slack (by pressing the shifter a little) is understandable, as it quietens it to nill, but that's not a fix..  :popcorn:

By the way, @Mopar1973Man, you still :linux: , as I am? :)

Edited by Rogan

Plenty people complain about the G56 noise, especially after installing a SMF clutch.  By adding a DD clutch, it sounds like you only aggravated the issue that much more.

Check out threads regarding a Fluidampr.  I've heard people say that helped.....but its a $400 gamble.

The only other thing I've heard of is different fluid (which it sounds like you tried), and Gorilla Juice which is claimed to lessen the rollover noise.

Either way, bummer you spent all that money only to have it drive you nuts. :doh:

• 1 year later...

Let's dig up an old thread.   Found the source of the problem, and only recently (as in, last week).  When you remove the DMFW, there's a small spacer plate thingy that goes between the DMFW and crank end.  If you aren't looking for it, it's VERY easy to miss (was on this one).  For S&Gs, I dropped the clutch assembly off the truck as there it was!  Embedded itself (pressed in, basically) into the back of the flywheel.  Pried it out, cleaned it up, BAM!   Vibration and about 70% of the rollover noise was gone.  The issue is that the chamferred edge is not exactly the same profile as the stock flywheel, but extremely close.  Close enough to feel right, but different enough to actually not allow the flywheel to sit completely flush.

• Like 1

When I go out to the farm tomorrow, I'll take a picture of it..   I'm SO GLAD it's over.   Also, converted the truck (in process) from NV273 Electric to NV271 manual.  The shifter motor kept trying to randomly engage 4WD until is destroyed the 273.  

• 6 months later...

@Rogan, I expect to be replacing the clutch soon on my 2017.  Do you happen to have any pictures of what to look for on this spacer?  What did you have to do to make the spacer fit right?

Also, how complicated was it to swap to the manual Tcase?  I don’t like switching to 4wd via a knob. 

Just remove the spacer altogether.  It's about 1/16" thick spacer between the flywheel and crank-end, with a lip around the edge.  It'll often stick to the end of the crank and appear as part of it.  It is not needed in the Valair/SB clutch set.

Manual case swap is fairly straight-forward.  I haven't gotten the truck back from him to complete the electronics portion (right now, truck dash lights up 4WD Service light, because nothing's plugged in to the OE electrionic control harness for the tcase.  But everything is functional from a 4wd/2wd perspective.   You'll need to cut a hole for the 4wd shifter.  and the pocket in the floor console gets popped out and the 4wd boot plops right into place (at least, on the 08-09 truck, it does.)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...