• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fan Clutch

Do new fan clutches need time to "break in?"

I got a new one Sunday night and it still hasn't unlocked by today so I took it back and got another. The new one hasn't unlocked today either so I'm not sure if I just need to give it some time or go get another. 

8 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

NO   I've never heard of that, should be good to go right out of the box.  It could be the aftermarket brand you're getting, try a different supplier. 

So both of the ones I have gotten say made in the USA, which I was surprised by. 

I have a buddy who works at advance auto, and the ones they have look the exact same as the ones from Napa. Literally exactly the same. I really don't want to go to the dealership....

1 hour ago, CSM said:

I likely will need a new one next year... so you all go ahead and figure it out.

See below

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Try it before you buy it at the sales counter. Should be disengaged until hot. Is that right IBM?

Even the fan I took off (which was great before the engine warmed up) is stiff off the truck.

49 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. Typically the oil will be thick in the clutch so it will be stiff till the RPMs spin the oil outwards. So the try before you buy won't work.

^^^Yup

So I headed to a buddies tonight and about 15 miles down the road it disengaged for the first time! After sitting parked at his house for 3 hours or so it was locked up again when I took off. This time it disengaged after about 5 min going slow. Maybe it's starting to loosen up?? We'll see. It has a lifetime warranty, so I'm not too worried. 

• Staff

Thank you straighten out my bad about check before you buy. I do not understand how they work other than a logical disengaged when cold thinking. :poke:

All I know is my first gen, approaching 450 k miles, I can still spin the fan when truck sits cold.

Edited by JAG1

98.5-99 call for a different clutch than 00-02.  Maybe you have the wrong year.  If you're concerned about quality, Geno's has OEM clutches.  Yes, they're not going to be as cheap as I'm sure you paid for the one you have but its an option if you get tired of messing with it..... :thumbup2:

• Owner
On 11/19/2016 at 10:30 AM, JAG1 said:

All I know is my first gen, approaching 450 k miles, I can still spin the fan when truck sits cold.

It shouldn't spin cold. The oil should be settle to the bottom and thick and it should be extremely stiff. Once started and driving a short distance the oil will spin back to the hub unlocking. 

As for my clutch...

• Like 1

I'm not sure what I did with it.....but I have a video of my clutch fan too. :doh: I was going to point out how tight my fan clutch is when the engine is cold.  Its always been like this too and I'd be afraid to stick anything in the way of the blades for fear of damaging something.

There's times when I initially start the engine (at any ambient temperature) and I can hear a slight fan roar for a second.  Sometimes it will even hold firm until I apply a little throttle too whereby I can hear the clutch loosen up.  Although never heard on the freeway unless the engine temps lean towards 205* range.  Been this way since new and has always keep engine temps in check.  Even grossing 22k up hill in 111* summer heat on the highway. :thumbup2:

• Owner
9 hours ago, KATOOM said:

I'm not sure what I did with it.....but I have a video of my clutch fan too. :doh: I was going to point out how tight my fan clutch is when the engine is cold.  Its always been like this too and I'd be afraid to stick anything in the way of the blades for fear of damaging something.

There's times when I initially start the engine (at any ambient temperature) and I can hear a slight fan roar for a second.  Sometimes it will even hold firm until I apply a little throttle too whereby I can hear the clutch loosen up.  Although never heard on the freeway unless the engine temps lean towards 205* range.  Been this way since new and has always keep engine temps in check.  Even grossing 22k up hill in 111* summer heat on the highway. :thumbup2:

This is because the oil has settle in the bottom and requires RPM to pump it back into the hub. Mine is the same way after starting it roams for the first few seconds of leaving the driveway but once its unlocked it just like my video above. I've done this hundreds of times for people. I'll start it rev it to 1,500 to 1,800 RPM for about 10 seconds and bring it back to idle. Then I can grab a rubber hose and stop the blades every time. That first few seconds is the oil being pumped back into the hub of the fan. 

I've got a resolution! Picked up another fan clutch today (under warranty) and put it on the truck. It took about 30 seconds for it to come unlocked. I got the engine good and hot using my radiator block trying to get the fan to come on, and it came on like it should. After cooling back down and a bit of driving it unlocked again. Case closed!

@Mopar1973Man you should like this video!

• Like 1