• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

D70 & D80 U Joint Sizes

Hello Everyone,

My truck's two piece rear driveshaft was very worn after 172,000 miles (doh), so after speaking with a couple of driveline shops I selected one to build me a one-piece aluminum to replace the two piece.  The shop required u joint size confirmation so after pulling the rear u joint straps, i measured the caps/width & came up with 1410 ujoints.  The shop didn't seem phased that i had 1410 u joints (said could have 1350 or 1410) but surprised since I thought all D70's were 1350.

I continued my investigation and  after more web research concluded I may have a D80 Hybrid (like the manual trucks) based on the diff cover bolt pattern.  The ID tag doesn't say so maybe someone can shed some insight?  While some will prob say "no way" i did find some threads on the net of claiming D80 hybrids in auto powered truck but nothing conclusive.

The truck i own did come from the factory ordered with the heavy duty package (suspension & drivetrain/241DHD trans) along with the camper package.  Could someone post a picture of your D80 hybrid for me to confirm?

:thanks:

Edited by NightHawk
  • Like 1

My 02 has a sticker in the glove that identity's my rear end as a Dana M80. Is that the Hybrid you are speaking of? I never heard that before but never looked into it. I thought came with the camper package. I can get a picture tomorrow when its a little brighter outside. 

47 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

NightHawk, your truck has the Dana 80 hybrid, and the 1410 u-joints.  I dont actually expect anyone to go through my other painstaking read either. :thumbup2:

I read since i did not know anything about it. Thought I would post for the less educated such as myself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BBHD said:

Here's mine. 

image.jpg

Thank you !

5 hours ago, CSM said:

My broken d70 has the same 1410 joints as my d80.

That is good to know, makes me feel better about my tape measure skills

5 hours ago, KATOOM said:

NightHawk, your truck has the Dana 80 hybrid, and the 1410 u-joints.  I dont actually expect anyone to go through my other painstaking read either. :thumbup2:

I had hoped so but think it just have a D70 as my rear diff cover is the wider D70 style verse the taller D80 ring gear setup.  Oh well....

There should be an "80" or "70" stamped on the front drivers side of the pumpkin to help ID which one you have.

You can also try and draw a straight line between the 3 lower right bolts on the diff cover.  The 80 makes almost a straight line, while the 70 is quite noticeably not straight.

Dana 80

DSCN9298.JPG

Dana 70

DSCN6704.JPG

On the Dana 70/80 Hybrid.  They came in all manual SRW Cummins trucks, and will look like a normal Dana 80 other than the fact they're SRW, and thus have the dana 70 sized wheel bearings.

Edited by Cowboy

9 hours ago, NightHawk said:

I had hoped so but think it just have a D70 as my rear diff cover is the wider D70 style verse the taller D80 ring gear setup.  Oh well....

Unless you have a truck no ones ever seen before.....there's no way you have a 70 in that truck.  The 5 speed trucks came with a Dana 80.  The only autos with a Dana 80 were in the 1 ton dually trucks.

The ONLY way it would be possible you truly have a 70 is if you bought your truck used and at some point someone either swapped out the auto tranny for a manual tranny, or someone swapped out the 80 for a 70.

EDIT:..... Oh I see that 4500 was swapped.  So do tell.  Was the truck an auto before that?  Is it a SRW truck too?  If yes to all that then by bad for not noticing your sig, and.....you have a Dana 70.

Edited by KATOOM

8 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

The ONLY way it would be possible you truly have a 70 is if you bought your truck used and at some point someone either swapped out the auto tranny for a manual tranny, or someone swapped out the 80 for a 70.

He did.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cowboy said:

There should be an "80" or "70" stamped on the front drivers side of the pumpkin to help ID which one you have.

My shirt and pants show I crawled around every where looking for that, guess when it gets better weather to take another look around.

11 hours ago, KATOOM said:

The only autos with a Dana 80 were in the 1 ton dually trucks.

This is what research typically said until i stumbled across threads of D80's being behind some 2500 autos based on the options selected.  Maybe this maybe internet nonsense but being I have the HD suspension pack in the rear with the camper option, figured it may have been true. 

Edited by NightHawk

The Dana 70 was not equipped behind any manual transmission SRW truck between the years 1998 and 2002.  Anything which states otherwise is internet myth.  The reasoning behind that is because the Dana 80 is stronger at handling shock load from the manual transmission.

That said, there was an option for the SWR trucks in the transfer case whereby you could get the NP241DLD or the DHD.  The DHD is identified by the additional PTO cover too.  I believe all 3500 trucks came with the DHD. :thumbup2:

57 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

The Dana 70 was not equipped behind any manual transmission SRW truck between the years 1998 and 2002.  Anything which states otherwise is internet myth.  The reasoning behind that is because the Dana 80 is stronger at handling shock load from the manual transmission.

That said, there was an option for the SWR trucks in the transfer case whereby you could get the NP241DLD or the DHD.  The DHD is identified by the additional PTO cover too.  I believe all 3500 trucks came with the DHD. :thumbup2:

Sorry if unclear, i was referring to random chatter about D80's behind 2500 autos (like mine was) when setup at the factor based on options selected.  I do have the DHD transfercase, so small victory there.

8 hours ago, NightHawk said:

Sorry if unclear, i was referring to random chatter about D80's behind 2500 autos (like mine was) when setup at the factor based on options selected.  I do have the DHD transfercase, so small victory there.

You weren't unclear.  I thought I answered you too but I guess I didnt. :doh:

So to be extra clear.....the Dana 80 never came equipped behind an automatic on any SRW trucks between the years 1998 - 2002.  The only truck you'll see that could have come with a Dana 80 and automatic is the DRW 3500 trucks of those years. :thumbup2:

For my education I see the u joint sizes shown here as 1350 and 1410. I am not sure what that means. I know it is  a measurement but of what? Pardon my ignorance.

I just bought 3 OE u joints for my drive shaft and ordered them by a part number in the part look up tool. Part # 05003146aa. 2 came in newer Mopar boxes, and one in an old Mopar box.That had a order sticker on it dated 2003. They are Spicer and appear identical except for one thing. In the center of all three on the flat is SPR flip them over and the 2 newer ones are marked P9 over HN. The one older one is marked SPR and on the flip side P9 over FG. All of the caps say Spicer. Any of that mean anything to any one?

On 11/25/2016 at 4:27 PM, NightHawk said:

so after speaking with a couple of driveline shops I selected one to build me a one-piece aluminum to replace the two piece

Do you mind saying what they quoted you?  I'm interested in doing the same for mine...trying to get an idea what the ballpark will be.

Edited by sooxies

12 minutes ago, sooxies said:

Do you mind saying what they quoted you?  I'm interested in doing the same for mine...trying to get an idea what the ballpark will be.

Mine was 720 shipped from driveshaft specialties in tx.  

I could have done better locally, but i was living out of state at the time.

• Like 1