• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Passed on the power wagon... picked up this!

She was more than a little fussy getting off the trailer.  A full tune up is in order.  The funny thing is that once in the garage, the car ran fine.  

Edited by CSM

• 1 month later...

New news!  

Unfortunately, @Me78569 and my schedules haven't meshed again, so I have been drinking all the beer by myself!  Evidently @TFaoro doesn't like beer, takes all kinds I suppose. 

Anyway... 

The starter pinion gear was near ground off on the original starter.  I found an awesome speedo/auto electric shop http://www.speedoservice.com/.  They rebuilt the really rare original starter for $110. New points, dwell and timing set, it still ran ok, but not great.  

As I was trying to set the timing, it seemed like the timing marks were pretty far out, about 70 degrees.  The original owner had two plug wires crossed.  After fixing that, the car runs really well.  

I think a brake cylinder is weeping on a brake, it needs new seat skins, new speedo cable, window fuzzies, door seals, and needs the heater controls cleaned out.  Aside from that, the car really drives well.  

I plan on driving it daily when the weather is nice. i added what I feel are tasteful vintage decals to the car.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I prefer whiskey.... Beer... eh. 

Car looks good! I'd like to see some fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror though. 

I don't speak the fuzzy dice language.  I have... correction. had, some jameson single barrel. 

Edited by CSM

4 minutes ago, CSM said:

I don't speak the fuzzy dice language.  I have... correction. had, some jameson single barrel. 

Now we're getting on the same page! If only there was more time... Spring break is coming up if you'd like to hang out and play with a Ppump!

8 minutes ago, BBHD said:

Golden Super Cruise! I went out the first Saturday in April (a month early) and there was quite the turnout. Definitely like to meet up there and check it out!

I will be there.  I can't make April, but I will at least make a couple!  I would love to meet up as well.  Family is coming as one of my biggest goals with this old beast is to use it as an actual family car.  I look forward to dropping kids off at school in the batmobile.  I hope to drag @Me78569 along as well, he should bring his bimmer or truck with a Quad posterboard or "Nick's VGT codemonkey" sign. 

I have a job that includes weekends. 

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

Sounds good. Traveling every other week my schedule is a little hard to hit the first Saturday of the month all the time but I always make it if I'm up there. Looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Drum brakes... bad, right?  

Old chrysler guys knew what they were about.  Dual wheel cylinders, one for each shoe makes a very clean design. Even the 64 and later brakes are not as easy to rebuild. 

I wish our rams had drum adjustments on the rear like these.  A 7 16ths socket actuates a cam which moves the shoe.  Tighten til it rubs slightly, then back off.  It doesnt have a wheel to click over an unknown number of turns hidden in a greasy hole like more modern designs.  

20170610_131958.jpg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BBHD said:

Looking good! Where did you go for a cruise?

I use it as a driver on nice days.  I went and got brake pads for the ram and stopped by the archery range to renew my membership on the way home.

It will get new exhaust, seat skins, and seatbelts soon... then its ready to be the family weekender.  If i can get it ready in time it will be at the super cruise july or August.

• Like 1

• Staff

That car looks cool. Looks very solid, not built by robots.

I think you said that you live in an area of harsher winters, do you have a pole building or barn you work in winters?

1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

That car looks cool. Looks very solid, not built by robots.

I think you said that you live in an area of harsher winters, do you have a pole building or barn you work in winters?

It is different.  Definitely solid and designed to be maintained.  Everything but the mostly bulletproof transmission and rear end is really easy to work on.  Its like it was designed by engineers who grew up working on clunkers during the war.  Its far easier to work on than even a 70s mopar.  

I have a one car garage.  The Chrysler lives in it during driving season and either moves to the family barn or a nice enclosed car hauler in the winter.  

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 6:13 PM, CSM said:

After that, new exhaust, trunk floor, seat covers, the speedo needs tuned up, window tracks need cleaned on the rear doors and I have some vacuum lines to chase down.  I

Explain the need for a trunk floor.

3 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

Explain the need for a trunk floor.

Well, Chrysler didnt paint it and the old man who owned it put some black astroturf in there which collected water from the dry rotted trunk seal.  Now there are some sizable holes, but there is enough to patch back together.

Fortunately, the drain holes in the trunk extensions never got plugged, so the quarters and extensions are solid.  The main body of rust is right on top of the gas tank.  The tank is ok as it was galvanized.

The underside had a very liberal undercoat which really helped, along with it being a mostly fair weather car for the guy who owned it.

They dont make new trunk floors for this old of a c body.  I am planning on a por15 trunk floor kit.   

• Like 1