• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cummins additives

Cummins additives  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What would you use?!

• I'll stick with tried and true TCW3!
    • Never ran any additives and don't plan on starting!!
    • I'll only use a Cummins endorsed additive
    • There's plenty of good additives already available I'll use.

I just want to see if I can clear the air up a bit on a few things and talk Cummins related additives

From what I understood, in the past Cummins had never officially endorsed a specific additive nor advised using one. I believe they stated that as long as you were using adequate fuel, there was no need, unless you needed protection from gelling or worried there was a lot of water in the fuel for some reason. A lot of people seemed to think that Cummins endorsed stanadyne, but from what I've read, it seems that it was a misunderstanding. A person closely related or that worked for Cummins said that he really liked stanadyne or said some great things about it and everyone took that as 'Cummins endorses stanadyne' but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Fast forward to now, Cummins seems to have changed it's stance, and rightfully so with changing fuels. https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/literature/additives

So it seems that Cummins seems to think that using additives is beneficial, but I'm curious as to why it doesn't seem to be as common knowledge or as popular as I would think. There's a lot of anal-retentive Cummins owners who I would think wouldn't use anything but Cummins endorsed additives so just seems weird that it's just now coming to light, at least to me anyways.

What do you guys think?! Answer in the poll!

Edited by notlimah

2 stroke during the warm months.

2 stroke + white power service during the freezing months. Haven't used any this winter yet though. 

I'm more of a facts person, so a company endorsing a product means nothing to me. Just like Cummins endorsed Valvoline oil when all oils have to meet a minimum spec. You never hear someone say "I switched to (insert name brand oil) and it locked my motor up." Transmissions are a whole different story though... 

I'll stick with my 2 stroke and power service when it's cold :thumbup2: 

• Like 1

Yea I tend to agree with you. Just because a company says it's great doesn't mean it really is. Ever since I found this sight and became knowledge to what HFRR scores are and how important they are, I've pretty much decided that anything off that list I won't use. I just like quantifiable data when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Side note, I did buy some opti-lube summer blend and I think I am going to actually order the XPD from them as well and I MIGHT end up using that in place of 2 stroke.

If you think of it another way, who makes the injection systems? Not Cummins.... Bosch does. Thus Cummins endorsing a fuel additive doesn't even make sense. Now if Bosch came out with hard facts and data that proved a product they endorsed was superior that would catch my attention. 

• Owner

Even with minus temps I've never gelled up in 14 years. I use quality fuels and 2 cycle oil. Also using double filters on my fuel system. So there is no need for injector cleaners or cetane booster. PPD are typically high quality with the name brand fuels. Again 14 years never gelled once...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I would think that when these trucks were built their was not much of a need for fuel additives being that they were pre ULSD days, For myself Im going to stick with two stroke just because its readily available, Although I have heard good reviews and cost effectiveness on the opti- lube,

As far as an anti-gel, I will use power service in a white bottle when temps get below -15, I think most winter blend diesel is rated at about 10-15 below, but not really sure so just to error on the side of caution I will add a few onces when needed. When my truck was close to new I would run it in -25 to -30 temps  with no additives, but these days I dont think I could get away with it.

Just last year I was having trouble gelling up at about -10 ( didn't have any additive in it) and it was do to my own mistake, I forgot to plug my fuel heater back in,  :doh:  after plugging it back in its been smooth sailing

I haven't used it yet, I was planning to use up what 2 stroke I have left, but I don't drive my truck as much now so that will take quite a while. I also have some amsoil stuff that I decided to try and use up. I'm wanting to get away from the 2 stroke because I'm getting the idea that it's not so good for guys who don't work their trucks very hard. I thought that a couple 10 mile drives per day were enough, but I'm not sure that's the case anymore, so I will be going with optilube XL when I finish the amsoil stuff I have. 

I tend to think the same @leathermaneod but I think as long as you can get EGTs up to around 1000* here and there you'll be fine. Remember, the flash point on 2stroke is fairly low, even below idling EGT temps so it's burning, and it's ashless so no residue. I think what it really is, is just using the truck hard in general, not even using it hard while using 2stroke. I think I read somewhere that a guy took in a gummed up VP or LP and they diagnosed it as 'under used' and advised getting over 2k rpms on every drive. Lugging around under that seemed to cause that in their opinion, I think lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, getting ready to see family for the Holidays so my truck will be sitting for around 2-3 weeks and weather has been a little cold getting into the low 30s high 20s. Just wondering if you guys think I should put any anti-gel or something else in the fuel while I'm gone since it will be sitting for so long in lower temps?

Well it's a mixet review, some people never had problem gelling, I had it happen a few times. To be safe I would dump something in, whatever you prefer and then make sure it gets through the system. I don't think anyone can predict the weather that good. What I've always done too put a little bit of fuel that's in your tank in the little glass jar and set it on the bumper that way you could take a look and see what it looks like if it's foggy you know it's jelling

• Like 1

That's impressive @Mopar1973Man! Never seen one that bad, but I guess that's what you get when water gets in there. 

I usually kick the lift pump on and drain the water out of mine once a month just to be sure. 

I've also had bad luck with fuel, even using high volume stations. 3 times in 3 years all around 15* below zero. Even diesel 911 didn't help one of those tanks. Never been back there, but I think I finally found a good station, so we'll see how this year goes. 

Well it never gets into the negatives around here. I'm just assuming it'll be no colder then the 20s while I'm gone as that's typically the coldest we see in these parts. I figure when driving daily, it helps combat gelling by warming things up at least a couple times a day and keep things stirred up, but just sitting for 2-3 weeks is what has me worried a little.

Does 2stroke offer any sort of 'anti-gel?'

I might just get a bottle of opti-lube XPD as it states it's good against gelling down to -10-15* and I've been wanting to try that out as an alternative to 2stroke and the opti-lube summer blend I got.

Thanks for the input fellas

If you have winter blend fuel, you should be good to go.  I try to keep a spare set of filters in the truck for emergencies... though this would mainly be used to get to a parking lot, parts store, or hotel.  

In my experience, even if fuel gels, as long as it warms up without being filtered or stratified it will turn back into normal diesel.

• Like 1