• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trailer load distribuition

Ok guys, try not to laugh to much, but when it comes to weight distribution on trailers, I'm a noob. Even more embarrassing is I'm only hauling a sander in a crate a little over 300lbs on a 5x8 utility trailer. Single axle trailer that weights around 600lbs. I'm just curious as to where I should try and place the sander on the trailer to make sure it rides the best for the 1000 mile road trip I'll be making next week.

My thoughts so far were to have it centered (duh!) on the trailer and slightly more forward of the axle that way a bigger majority of the weight would be on the tounge of the trailer/truck and not the back of the trailer. Is this right? Anything else to consider or do?

Thanks in advance!

You are on the right track.  If its too aft, it will tend to fishtail.  It still may, and if so, slow down.  300lbs is not much, but the trailer sounds like one of those harbor freight style trailers.  

For light loads i just get it balanced then about 10 to 20 percent forward.  You want to keep the tongue weight within spec for the trailer, ball, and hitch, but aside from that more forward on a single axle wont hurt you.

I think you are on the right track.  In theory you should have about 15% of the total trailer and content weight on the tongue.

So in your case you should have 600 + 300 = 900 x .15 ~ 135ibs.

This is such a small load the that you could move the load way ahead of the axle and be good.

Just don't put the weight behind the axle because that will take all the weight off the tongue and the trailer will likely sway a lot.

Alright thanks guys, I know it's not a huge amount of weight so I figured if anything it would just be more annoying then anything but with winter weather around, I'd rather avoid any unnecessary risks.

The trailer is mine and practically brand new so everything maintenance wise should be A-ok. I don't have a tongue weight scale so I'll more or less be eye balling it.

I'll plan on putting it just forward of the axle to keep the majority of the weight there. I'll be towing it with the wifes 2014 GMC Sierra so it won't exceed the tongue weight for the hitch and it uses a 2in ball so should be fine there as well. I just didn't want the thing to ride like a pissed off bull back there for 1000 miles!