• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pets and bitter cold

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

It's only +16*F here at my place right now. I just let Diesel out to take a leak. I've never seen him do this before. He was wondering around in the snow here in the yard. You can see him not walking so good. He started limping back to the porch. The when he got there he was holding his rear paws up one at a time, like the bitter cold was burning like it would if you had your hands in the without gloves. Felt sorry for him I pick him up and carried him in the last few feet inside the house. Once stood on the warm stone in the house he was all good again. 

So... What do you guys do for your pets in the bitter cold? I know he's got to go back out again later but I know he's not liking the idea. Ideas, suggestions? 

It doesn't get as cold here as it does where you are but when its down in the low 30's or raining hard none of the pets like to go outside.  Especially the older ones.....  They're just like people so I'm sure the cold weather can be uncomfortable on their ailing joints.  Just keep 'em comfy because their love for you is truly unconditional.  A trait nowhere found in humanity.

• Like 1

Check the paws to see if any snow gets clogged in the cracks/crevasses.  If our pup (may she rest in peace) was ever zipping around in the snow for longer periods of time she would always have snow up in that area.  Even for short trips outside...packy snow made it worse.  At least with her, I noticed that there really was not a lot fur in that area.  Her tootsies were notorious for getting cold.          

Edited by sooxies
  • Like 1

I have labs.  However, there is a mushers cream or whatnot that helps keep their pads flexible.  In winter, just like your hands, they can get cracked.  It is hillarious to watch our dog after he gets his feet lubed.  Just awkward shame!  

Aside from that, I don't usually have a problem.  None of my dogs have ever liked booties. 

Edited by CSM

Booties are probably your best bet. We have a golden retriever and he loves the cold so we really haven't had any issues in that regard.

The wife and I were just talking about a similar issue. She wanted me to make it "extra warm" in the back of her truck so the dog would be warm on our road trip home. Mind you, this is with a Snugtop topper, carpet lined top, and bed rug with his bed back there. He's going to be riding in luxury! hahah Now I just need to convince the boss.

• Owner

I think I got it figured out. What I think is happening is that I salted the walkway and when Diesel bails off the steps into the snow he's fine. Then he runs through the yard no problem but if he walks back up that salted walkway his paws must start burning bad because starts limping and lifting his rear paws. I've checked the paw pads and there is no cuts that I've seen or open wounds. That's the only idea I've got now. 

• Like 1

• Owner

I just let him out a bit ago and he ran out fast across the walkway and got to the snow didn't bother him. Then he circled back around through the snow to hop up on the last step to get to the porch. No problems. The time before that he was lifting paws again because he just walked up the walkway in the salt path. 

Diesel been a house dog for all these years thin skins and light furred as well. It is what it is...

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I think I got it figured out. What I think is happening is that I salted the walkway and when Diesel bails off the steps into the snow he's fine. Then he runs through the yard no problem but if he walks back up that salted walkway his paws must start burning bad because starts limping and lifting his rear paws. I've checked the paw pads and there is no cuts that I've seen or open wounds. That's the only idea I've got now. 

I totally forgot about that.:ahhh:  I know they make pet safe salts so that makes sense.

Edited by sooxies