• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My addiction

• Owner
42 minutes ago, rogerash0 said:

Hmm ya. That's still compelling but I wasn't even at 50psi of boost when I had the problem.

But what if your pop pressure(s) are lower then it would take less cylinder pressure to leak. Just for an example, my old stock injectors are popping at 240 bar now but still run fine no smoke or anything but that is roughly 600 PSI lower. Lots of variables that will impact if its cylinder pressure is doing this or not. What happens if you just have a weepy injector that not sealing correctly anymore? Also, don't quote me on the exact boost numbers. Remember there is compression ratio difference between the HO (17.0:1 Ratio) and SO (16.3:1 Ratio). Like I said there is way too many factors to state an exact boost pressure that will affect your particular case. 

Ya, we were just on a fresh D&J motor with fresh "new" injectors from DDP. I assume the motor was built with the SO compression ratio, but honestly that one slipped my mind (sad to say). I know they used OEM pistons, non-coated. I do have pics of the pistons installed with the head off if its identifiable. When I stop there in 4 weeks hopefully I remember to ask.

My injectors, 99% sure they were tested to 280bar, because they were recently set to 290bar by Lenny. They went back twice. First time they were faulty. Second time I was having smoke from hell problems and hard starts. I took a photo of the paperwork that came with them, and it may still be around here. It had the old pop pressure & new.

But overall I agree with ya. However I was on the side of the road adjusting my lift pump pressure with the adjustable AD2 base and trying out another spring AD sent me, and the problem did cease to exist with higher lift pump pressure. I still remember the folks who stopped to ask if I was ok.

I wasnt interested in running my lift pump pressure at >20psi, so I did everything I could to increase flow to the VP. No 90* fitting into the VP, high quality AN fittings, no T's for fuel pressure gauges, sump kit, etc. Even ran three different kinds of hose, all 1/2", just because I wanted to go with some high quality stuff second, third or fourth time around.

Edited by rogerash0

@jlbayes - I read in TFaoro's thread on CF that you went thru an output last fall, posted on 09-15-15. Thats on your auto right? I sprung for the billet output when I bought my trans and have often wondered if that was money down the drain. At what HP did you break your output? 

Edited by rogerash0

I asked the same question when I had Jon build my trans. Basically anything over 550ish is recommended to have a billet output. Output shafts are stronger then input shafts just by their size, they're a lot shorter and pretty fat. 

If you never ever plan on going into the big horsepower range then yea maybe it wasn't neccesarry, but one things for sure, you shouldn't worry about it breaking! 

My guess is @jlbayes was barely making 300hp because he didn't have his pump tuned like he wanted and was running some crap injectors at the time, but you can't turn down an opportunity to do a 10 minute burnout to show some duracrap what's up! :lmao2:

I kid I kid!! Hahah

• Haha 1

haha, well thats the question. does it just have to hookup nasty after a burnout & regain grip to go to hell, or ? I dont know how they typically break, quite exactly.

@jlbayes - Seems like you are a big supporter of the 12cm housing on the s300's, because you have seen them perform and not bottleneck. I want one, Im sure it does do loads better under 2500 or 3krpms, but the only ones I can find for my SXE 62/68 are by DAP for $500 w/ long actuator or $550 /w short actuator. Why does BW & everyone else not make a 12cm housing for this turbo?

Also it sounds like DAP may be taking SXE compressor covers off of SXE turbos and retrofitting older comp covers with the 2nd gen outlet. Sounded like JKidd acknowledged it and downplayed it. Is this the case? Cumminsdog was talking about it and hes banned. Imagine that.

Edited by rogerash0

Output shafts are just a lot harder to break period. You either need to be throwin a lot of power or doing things that'll obviously cause extra abuse ie; burnouts, boosted launched, sled pulling or any other tom foolery.

Keep in mind that Cumminsdog was like the guy who CF admins seemed to hate because he contradicted everything that the general population of CF thought. What made things even worse for him, was that he was generally right and rarely if ever in the wrong, but I think the admin over there didn't like that. I think the main reason he got banned was because of his support of DOR and him trying to help people out who were having hard times dealing with them. Either way, he definitely didn't have a problem telling it like it was, regardless of who disliked it on the admin panel lol.

Oh ya, I very much received the sentiment you described based on his posting's. Thats why its a shame really.

I hope you guys know I should be packing my house because I leave in two wks, but Im glued to the information here & there. The addiction is real! I see jlbayes is running infinite performance injectors. I sent them a msg :)

Unless someone buys these DDP 120's, which no one did when I listed them 2 months ago, its gonna be 6 months or more til I buy em. I gotta pay down some debt first so I can live with myself. Selling my AD165 and Edge JWA on FB was a joke, the edge guy returned it because of paypal, and the AD165 guy paid then asked for his money back the next day. Total waste of time and shipping

The last trans. builder wanted to upgrade the output for obvious reasons. I never broke it. The truck with vp on it went 7s in the 1/8th on a stock output.

A vp truck will not outflow the 12cm (,70) housing with a gate imo. The rpm range is far too low. Why I recommend them to people. The only company I know actively replacing the sxe covers was Industrial which they now have stopped. Idk about DAP.

The exhaust housing, Borg does not rate their housings in cm2 (Holset measurement). They use a/r ratio. .70 t3 is what you are looking for.

Wade was banned from cf for attempting to help DOR buyers get into contact with Danny. It was a shyte show.

If I missed anything it was not on purpose. :cheers:

We don't do no stinking burnouts.....

• Haha 3

Thanks, Im well aware its a .70 T3 foot -- I cant find it anywhere from BW at all. Made me think the turbo isnt designed to run that housing. You saying the valves are the choke point for the intake really makes me want to put my stock elbow back on and test same day same conditions the difference. I will one day. Also makes me wanna run the 0.70 housing on the exhaust because if its not a choke point then there should be a lot of gains to be had /w that smaller housing. 

My drive pressure currently is highest around 50psi. My boost will be 43psi @ WOT while drive will be 43-45psi, and then drive slowly creeps up to 50psi, it hits that around 120mph (per gps), and boost will inversly fall at the same time down to around 37psi.

Point being, with the 12cm housing, Im sure drive pressure will be up. What is safe on a stock head? What is safe with arp625s? What is safe with arp625s and o-rings? It was handy to see on CF that your running Infinite Performance injectors. I know you mentioned them to me before. I know TFaoro was talking about 115psi drive pressure I think with his 62/65/12 & a 75/83/1.10. Whew. I thought that surely would be enough to cause some kind of havoc.

Btw I feel guilty for plaguing your thread but your a trove of information so its hard not to ask :x

Btw, btw, thats a good proper burn out :D

Edited by rogerash0

My suspicion is they are taking a gated s200 housing (s300g) and boring it for the s300s. I have no evidence supporting it, just me and my tinfoil hat LOL.

You will have to refresh my memory on what cam is in your engine? Tyler had a 188/220 and mine is the stock vp 24v cam. You may be able to get away with a bit more housing than I in this aspect. Both of my overall gauges are 100psi. And it pegs them both. Idk how much it actually makes.

Plague away. This is what I do for individuals that want to learn vs. follow a magazine build. LOL

Crazy. Im running the digital gauge setup /w sensors from Edge. Bit too spendy, but atleast they are good for 150psi or whatever it is. I can log them, etc. Not the best, but its what I got.

Ill fill out my sig. Shouda done it sooner anyway. I have the Hamilton 182/214 cam. mid-range if I understand it correctly. 

I called Industrial and they sell the 0.70 AR tubine housing for the 68mm wheel for $550. Its special order only, so you gotta call it in.. Its their Viper housing, which they say this about:

The PhatShaft utilizes the 68mm turbine wheel and is available in a 12cm or 14 cm exhaust housing in which we modify the angle of the exhaust nozzle, maximize the wastegate ports, and enlarge the wastegate chamber for full wastegate travel.

Edited by rogerash0